Garage/shop rearrangement

ok, got all six drawers built and installed.
Had a problem with first draw, I wrote the correct measurements down, misread them when I came back to work. Wrote down 19and 5/8, cut 19 and 3/8, and wondered why the drawer was 1/4 inch too narrow.
Was about to start over, realized I can take a strip of 1/4 inch ply, attach it to side, noone will know, I wont tell anyone and Ill cover it with a drawer face.(you can see it in the picture)
5 drawers slide as smooth as silk, one draw is a drop tighter, dont know why, but Ill adjust either the wood or the slide tomorrow.
Last pic is where it will be parked.

Used 3/4 inch birch ply on bottom drawer sides to beef it up since the drawers will hold most of the heavier tools.

having the sliding mitre is such a great thing. Cutting boards 8-10 inches wide without so much fuss.
Only problem is Im working from right side, clamping down a stop at the required length on the work bench.
Im not used to working from right side, always measure from left. Cant wait to get the folding shelf up for mitre work.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1067 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1067 (Medium).jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 134
  • wood stuff 1068 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1068 (Medium).jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 122
  • wood stuff 1070 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1070 (Medium).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 127
  • wood stuff 1071 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1071 (Medium).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 128
  • wood stuff 1072 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1072 (Medium).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Lets see here :huh: 9:02 PM yesterday, issue, drawers a problem. Today 1:24 PM drawers complete AND installed :eek: Wow that issue is now not a problem :rolleyes::D nice job Allen :thumb: that is gettining it done:thumb: AND they look good to boot:wave:

Allen they look real good and the unit looks perfect under that bench.:thumb: Feel as though we were twins when i see the pictures. I just have the extra set of draws at the bottom. But i am rapidly thinking of sacrificing it and putting in the castors.

Boy Allen, you really got 'er in "High Gear" there, so I guess we can say you got that "Drawer Thing" figured out now, eh?:D Looks good, and best of all, "IT FIT" the space you wanted it to go in when you got it finished.:thumb::D That should save you a lot of walking by being able to roll your tools to where you need them at the time, instead of having to go back and forth getting another tool as you need/remember it. Good Job.:thumb:

I did something today I havent done in ages, closed my shop early, 2:20, and called it a day. Not doing any work tomorrow, just some small cleanup, I need to take a break out of this heat. The fan didnt help much, just kept some air flowing.
I put some drawer fronts on the cabinet, left a drop of room so if I ever get ambitious I can line the plywood edges with thin pieces of sapele/mahogany, and I stained them with Zar Walnut, since I had an old can sitting around waiting to be tossed.
I put a top a bit oversized in the back,(I didnt have any 1/4 masonite, have to wait for that) so I can clamp things down if I need too. I have this cheapo portable carpenters vise, that will come in handy until I buy a real vice and figure out where to install it.
I hand planed the edges of the plywood sides to be flush with the side walls.

I stood in front of the sliding mitre, and just kept cutting scrap pieces of particle board, since it makes so much sawdust to see where the dust flys.
It sprays backwards, the bulk goes slighty upwards, the rest shoots anywhere.
I used the studs in the walls, built a small hood, and Im going to use this port screwed between the table apron and between the studs underneath the table surface and see if I at least keep the dust a bit under control.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1081 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1081 (Medium).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 130
  • wood stuff 1080 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1080 (Medium).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 129
  • wood stuff 1078 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1078 (Medium).jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 115
  • wood stuff 1077 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1077 (Medium).jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 125
  • wood stuff 1074 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1074 (Medium).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 131
  • wood stuff 1082 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1082 (Medium).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Allen that cabinet looks to good to be in the shop. Now your going to force me to make mine look better. All the work you've done you deserve a day of rest.:thumb::wave:

thanx alan, but Im itchy to start building something again, besides shop cabinets.
I think IM going to start a mission style(think thats the correct term style) coffee table made of ash for a gift for my SIL in the weeks to come.
They have the first piece of indoor furniture I made.(used pine panels from the borg, pine legs from the borg, and angle irons to hold it all together, a coffee table)And now I want to give them an updated piece that. I really need to get going and build something.

decided resting wasnt a good option

I held out till 1 pm, but I want to finish this mess as soon as possible.

It took me over 3 hours to put up one shelf.

I routed out a channel to put in some t track, I didnt have enough, but I can live with it for now.
I used folding shelf brackets.(I can still use the space between the studs for small shelves and this is a big plus) They are rated 130 lbs for a pair, so I used 4 of them, and the shelf seems pretty strong, its only going to be supporting boards left side mitre saw.
I made a stop block, and it allows me up to 72 inches left side, and I can go up to 84 inchs right side, but Im not comfortable working from right side.(the shelf gives me about 8 inches off the mitre's fence, good enough for me)
I spent half the time lining up the first bracket, getting it level with the mitre.
I made sure in planning I can still roll the lift table with the planer under the mitre table, and even with the mitre shelf open, unfolded, I can still push all my equipment under the shelf so I can keep the middle of the garage open if I need space for assembly.
When I planned it all, I left just enough room to roll the table saw under the mitre shelf. What I didnt plan on was Im thinking about adding a piece of mdf with a plate to the right side of my tablesaw to put a router on. Another project, not that important right now, but I dont need to build a seperate rolling router table. I think the half inch added to the top of the table saw surface might not make it when saw is lifted to move it underneath the shelf.
Oh well, Ill lose 12 inches of floor space if I dont fold down the mitre shelf.
All in all, it came out very level, Im pleased, its a daunting task to work up underneath a surface when one has Myasthenia, not looking for a slap on the back, but I wasnt sure Id be able to do it, so Im quite satisfied I finished it all up.(its near impossible for me to hold my eyes upwards and try to focus) Ill try out my dust collection tomorrow hopefully, and after a few dust line adjustments, Im finished for now with this shop rearrangement.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1094 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1094 (Medium).jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 120
  • wood stuff 1093 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1093 (Medium).jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 118
  • wood stuff 1091 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1091 (Medium).jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 112
  • wood stuff 1090 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1090 (Medium).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 106
  • wood stuff 1089 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1089 (Medium).jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 115
  • wood stuff 1088 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1088 (Medium).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 115
  • wood stuff 1086 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1086 (Medium).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 124
  • wood stuff 1085 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1085 (Medium).jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 124
  • wood stuff 1084 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1084 (Medium).jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Last thing I wanted to do before I took a break with cleanup and reorg, hooked up a dust port inbetween the studs, the outer wall, and the table apron, sort of made a 8 inch funnel, and hooked up a dust line. This is before Im putting any duct tape over the edges to seal it up nicely. BTW, it worked like a gem, Im very pleased with the dust control on the mitre now.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1095 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1095 (Medium).jpg
    48 KB · Views: 90
  • wood stuff 1096 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1096 (Medium).jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 87
I finally found a piece of equipment I can handle in my shop and theres only 2 buttons.
I think every well equipped home shop should have one.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1100 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1100 (Medium).jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 119
your one step ahead of me Allen. I still need to make something for dust collection on my sliding miter saw. I can smell the popcorn now but would be hating life cause of the grease spots on the wood from the butter on the popcorn.

and finally yesterday, the last piece of agenda I wanted to address, I finally managed to get my son to run the wires through the walls to hook up the wireless so I got a signal in the garage for the shop laptop. And yesterday he did it, and now I have computer service in the garage/shop. Pretty neat for me. Now if I could only learn sketchup.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1101 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1101 (Medium).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 60
I realized today I need a nice padded sturdy rolling stool so I have somewhere to sit to use the computer. Guess its time to start looking on craigslist.(maybe Ill take a look at harbour or northern)

I spent 4 hours today trying to straigthen out wood piles, plywood piles, tools, supplies.
At the end of 4 hours, I realized all I did was move the wood from one pile to another pile, but managed to clean the right side of the shop, now I cant walk on the left side.

I spent 4 hours today trying to straigthen out wood piles, plywood piles, tools, supplies.
At the end of 4 hours, I realized all I did was move the wood from one pile to another pile, but managed to clean the right side of the shop, now I cant walk on the left side.

Yep that how it always goes. Atleast you have a clean floor again.:rofl::thumb: