Garage/shop rearrangement

one thing for sure, it is a pure pleasure to work in a lit up shop.
Adding lights and putting up white walls have added alot of necessary brightness.
Floor is easier for me to work on, no more bad high spots or cracked cement, and the open space is wonderful to move around without worrying constantly about a trip hazard.(I put in 3 hours today and made the silverware tray out of cherry as the first little thing I promised wife)

Attachments

• kitchen makeover 102 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen makeover 102 (Medium).jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 55
  • kitchen makeover 105 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen makeover 105 (Medium).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 53
Allen

That reminds me of my bench. Accept it has wooden legs.

Also if you don't have them lots of individual tool lights like the ones by my Drill-press & SCMS.

Attachments

• Work center.jpg
    Work center.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 45
  • SCMS2.jpg
    SCMS2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 42
  • RADP.jpg
    RADP.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 43
  • A1 myshop 046.jpg
    A1 myshop 046.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
the bandsaw and drillpress come with attached work lights.
Im not using 4 lights I have currently.
Seems since I took out the loft and raised the lights a foot, it offers a much better field of light, and with the lighter walls, the place is bright.
Later in the fall, I will be putting in white ceiling tiles also.

You gotta be enjoying your shop now. Knowing you dampened down the sound got nice clean smoother floors more light you gonna be even more productive when you able.

Congrats and enjoy.:thumb: Just think January you might just be able to spend time out there. Door is sealed up so that cold New York wind wont be getting to you. Little heat and you will be away.;)

talk about bad luck..............
I installed the insulation panels on the garage door. Everything was fine.
And I trimmed the bottoms out so they didnt touch the floor.
Then the rains came again, another round.
The door strip I purchased works perfectly.
Seems there is still some water getting in under the framework of the structure on the left side of the garage, and although 1/10 th of what water I had, it still seeps in and just hit the bottom edge of the insulation, so it soaked 3-4 inches of the bottom panel.
I cut it off yesterday, but the extra weight the insulation, especially wet part, strained the capacitor that controls torque? of my overhead door opener, and today the door didnt work. Burned out capacitor. I had no clue what was wrong, other than Id press the button, nothing happenned except buzzing.
I thought the motor was gone, but the unit is only a year or so old.

contacted my friend who does minor electrical work for me, he was on vacation. So I called his 87 y/o dad, probably the most talented electrician and all around work with your hands person Ive ever met, and sure enough, he figured it out. I kinda felt guilty watching him climb up the ladder to work on it, but he had the part at his home, fixed it and told me he will go get me new springs with 100 or 110 pd pull. My 70 lb springs are not enough to pull up the door with the added weight of the insulation.

Things like this, I dont have a clue, live and learn every day.

finished the cutting board today, didnt get to start anything new, driving back and forth.

I think we all can personally rate our own shops on how they work out for us.
This was my first week actually doing some woodworking, (my level of woodworking), and I found my new arranged shop worked out how I planned.

I dont find a reason to have to put away every piece of hardware or accessory in a defined place right now.
As I use something, I decide where its a comfortable fit for me, and then I put it there.Right now everything is hanging on one wall on top of each other, but I take out what I need as theres a call for it. this is working out great for me. Ive moved the levels, t-squares, and other assorted accessories this week and the new spots are more efficient and speeding up my time, or at least not wasting any.
I finished three items this week. A cherry silverware tray for the kitchen, a cutting board I devoted a drop more time than usual to put thin stripes in and measure more carefully, and the top portion of my sons back bar area.
Im still applying oil to the board and tomorrow will apply finish to the back bar top.

The gladiator floor feels ok, but Im not sure if its going to hold out with all these heavy machines moving on top of it over the years. Time will tell.
I still have a slight water problem because the frame and the slab....same story, and it hasnt dried since we get rain every day almost, raining now.
Eventually Ill seal it all up.
Theres a few other tiny problems, like the position of the dust lines with the Sawstop, the lines fold up when I move the DC around and I need to get some better pieces of more flexible hose. The Sawstop can be used in place if Im cutting anything less than 6 feet long. when I do plywood or 8 footers, I have to move it back with the door closed(advantage of having an overhead door open, but that isnt going to happen anymore)
I can joint anything less than 5 feet without moving the jointer, overhead door same thing, so I have to move that around but I dont build much over 5 feet long, and thats that.
Planer is one wheels and easily rolls anywhere, no problems with that.

I think I found my solution, just a little more insulation and a few more boxes to sort out over time.
Hope I didnt bore anyone to death with this thread.

so after all the work I did a few times, I had to take most of it down over the past few months to sheetrock it.

today, I managed to get some of the stuff back in order.
Finally finished the last 8 feet of wall behind the assembly table.
I used whatever sound insulation I had left and the rest was regular pink rolled insulation, the same stuff I used to insulate the upper loft area last week.

I had a roll of insulation left, so I went back to HD, got my 10 dollars back, and had a 50 dollar gift card thats been burning a hole in my pocket, so I picked up 2 plastic parts cabinets to assort all my screws and hardware.
Eventually, Ill get to that, but I got the wall back up.
I had to lose the handplane cabinet, but keep them up in the tool cabinet now, as Im moving most of my hand held electric tools onto shelves.

For helping a buddy of mine, doing some easy work for him, he saved a fortune from what a carpenter quoted him, and he gave me a nice gift card.
With that, I ordered some new Jet clamps, afterall, one can never have enough clamps. Big boys, 2 82 inch, and 2 60 inch.
Didnt have anywhere to store them, so they found a home on the lumber rack.

My new parts cabinets have a touch of Bradleyitis to them, just too neat looking for me. Way too organized, I might actually be able to find the right size screw once I fill them up and label them.

Im waiting on my son to bring over the closet door tonight if he can fit it, and Ill figure out what Im going to do for a portable assembly table.
Ill redo all my dust lines/hoses tomorrow, and then close down the shop so I can start redoing the finish room. Remove paper, paint, flooring, then build some furniture.

btw, with the white panels on the ceiling, and the white sheetrock walls, the shop is very bright.

Im having the roof ripped off and new roofing put on in a few weeks, I noticed some leaks and I know the roof hasnt been redone in 35 years.

Attachments

• cabinet 057 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 057 (Medium).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 62
  • cabinet 059 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 059 (Medium).jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 55
the insulation and sheetrock, and the ceiling tiles, insulated my shop so well today was the first time in a couple of weeks I went out to work there.
Boy o boy was it nippy in there even though its high fifties outside, 10 degrees cooler in the shop.
I almost turned on my heater to warm it up a bit, but then Im limited with power so its either cold hands or running TS and mitre saw.
It was also very clumsy to have to work with 4x8 sheets inside the garage cutting them down to handling size for the TS.
The track saw makes easy work of it, but moving the board around inside the closed quarters was tuff for me.
Id still rather break down sheets outside, but not looking to stir up any noise detectives.

I also shot over to HF yesterday and picked up a couple of movers blankets, and tarp clips, and then hung them in front of the already insulated garage overhead door, just doing what I can, not sure if it helps, but it was a 10 dollar investment.

I finished painting the walls and ceiling of the finish room, just need to do window moldings and then install new base moldings and casing around closet, but wont do most of that till the floor is done.

Im working on the inside closet unit for that room right now.

the drum sander stored in the shed proved to be a mistake today.
I needed to get the sander out to do the table top of the desk Im making, and it seems the heavy water weve had here the past few months had knocked the ground all off level.
When I laid the ramp down, the castors just got stuck on all the uneven ground(not going to cement, since Im not getting permits and opening any can of worms).
I had to get help since that machine is awful heavy and add the weight of the huge cabinet.

Looks like Im going to have to move alot of wood in the shop and park that thing in the back out of my way, in the middle of the wood pile.
Im thinking in the spring, Ill grab one of the gardeners I see on my street every day and have them dig out and lay huge brick pavers even with the blacktop so I can then roll it in and out.

wow, embarrassing. such a simple solution, thanx.
Ill have to wait till I get my son and someone else to remove the sander off the cabinet so I can replace the castors.
Ill park it somewhere in the shop until then,...really, such a simple solution, and I never thought just change to all terrain castors.

Last edited:
Hey, Allen. Your shop organization has come along very nicely! Seeing you and a couple of others going through various steps has me heading that way, too. I'll have to post a couple of photos soon!

where are you alan?

I got the new pneumatic castors today, I thought youd come over to help me lift the sander off the table so I can change the castors.
Hmmmmmmm....................gotta find someone to move that monster.(Ill have to make my bil come over, hate to make my son drive 30 miles to lift a machine for a second)

Just came in from the shop from turning on the lathe. Guess I'm a little late as usual. If I lived a few miles closer I'd be there in a heart beat to lend a hand.