Garage/shop rearrangement

Let idiots be idiots

Once again, my lack of knowledge bites me.
I had a couple of hours today before the therapy starts, so I figure let me go out and mount that nice jorgenson vise I purchased. Finished putting the hardboard and framing on the table.
When I go out, the hardboard is pushing up on one side. When I left yesterday, it was as flat as flat could be.
Seems the sycamore and cherry pieces I used for a frame around the edge, must have done some movement last night when the temps dropped down near freezing, and contracted and pulled up the masonite. First, its my fault for being cheap when I got 1/8 masonite for free, I used it.(I really wanted 1/4 inch, but free is free)
And I was going to plane down and mill up some ash or white oak for the edges, but I had to move so much plywood and stuff, I just pulled some pieces long enough off another pile, used QS sycamore and I believe the ends are cherry.
So I lifted off the masonite today, took out the block plane and shaved a bit and put a few more screws in. 1/8 masonite is like 5 bucks a sheet when I need to replace top, so I thought, yeah, good way to go.
I used the sheet of paper that came with the vise, and took my time to meticulousy fold it exactly on the lines, and carefully tape it down in place, held the drill perfectly straight and still and drilled on the template.
Holes didnt line up on frame, only the bottom bolts.
Not a big deal.
got it installed, I was so proud of myself, finished the torsionbox top, installed the vise, wooohooooo, time to build some cabinets and drawers....
uh......dummy, I forgot to put some hardwood on the vise, now I have to take it off again.
Eh, not today, I have to relax and get ready to get juiced up.
Sucks when I take so much time, so careful, and forget one thing, because I followed instructions, and I never follow instructions, and nowhere did it mention mount wood first. Just forgot about it.
At least I got the halloween decorations away.

Attachments

• cabinet 123 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 123 (Medium).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 49
  • cabinet 125 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 125 (Medium).jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 50
a reason one is supposed to take it easy after infusion therapy, sometimes you feel like you have flulike symptoms, weak, tired, lethargic. I dragged my sorry butt out of bed this morning, knowing I should not go anywhere near that garage.
I planed down some hardwood, mounted it into the vise, and when I attempted to lift the table top, there were nothing left in my arms, I dropped the top, the vise caught my glasses string, ripped my glasses off and bent the arm on the glasses backwards after the top slammed into the floor. I forgot to lock the castors and base moved away as I lifted it.
I was furious, those are 700 dollar progressive protective eyeglasses, and I also chipped off 2 inches of the corner bottom of the hardwood edge I put on the table.
Just not having fun like Im supposed too.
and I dont know why Im even posting this.

That sucks! Rest up Allen it will be there when you feel stronger. Consider it a public service announcment that if you aren't feeling well it's best to stay away from the power tools.:wave:

Hang in there . I know how you feel about getting it done and I'm the same way.

I got the glasses repaired, no charge, guess my family spends enough money there.
I eventually got the vise/wood installed, I just put on 2 smaller pieces of maple for now, eventually Ill get to some larger pieces and use these for drilling templates.
I attached the top to the base with some wooden cleats, and started on the 4 drawer cabinet Ill have under it with enough room left for clamping. Im thinking about drilling some 3/4 holes for bench dogs, but Id probably mess it up and end up with bench kitty cats. so Im thinking about it.

I built the basic box and 4 drawers out of all the old plywood I had laying around, some brads in it, alot of holes, but I picked the best pieces and now have 4 drawers under my new work bench. Took a picture, cant post it, sorry, my hands are not holding the camera, picture is mud.
Im going to face the drawers with some 1/2 inch maple ply, and put some sycamore I pulled out of the garbage, the strips, and make an edging for the bare plywood edges.
I learned today you cannot joint a plywood edge.

In the middle of the morning, as I was rushing since Im going in to do some cleanup work at my old store today, the tool guy called.
The 22-44 is here, and the sawstop was shipped so Ill have it next week.
The alarm guy installed the alarms for me in the garage,(probably dont need it, but hey, hes my buddy so the cost was next to nothing), and my son is hooking up a panoramic type outdoor surveillance camera covering my driveway so I should be covered ok as far as theft.Going to be hooked up to a dvr type device to record something like 200 hours a shot.(I dont lose sleep over it, if someone walks off with a 400 lb machine, theres nothing I can do, but its tough here, since all neighbors are 10 feet from each other and all work all different hours.)
IM sorry about the horrible picture quality, hands arent working great today.

IM kinda glad the 22-44 came in first, since now I can build the last mobile work table and install the 22/44 along with the dewalt planer and be finished with all the tables and start to make some room.(you can just about make out the drawers under the work bench in the second picture far left corner.)
My son will assist me either tomorrow or sunday and put the machine together.

Attachments

• cabinet 129 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 129 (Medium).jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 48
  • cabinet 133 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 133 (Medium).jpg
    47 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Congrats on the Sander! Sounds like you are making good progress out there.

Can't be too careful, so the alarms and video camera are probably a good idea. :thumb:

Ive been celebrating since the first week of Oct when I retired.

My son is killing me today. He doesnt want to drive out here tomorrow, so hes coming tonight to help me put it together.
As hard as this is to say, Im really not in the mood nor physically ready to start playing around with a 300 lb sander at 9 pm.

Well Allen if i did not know about your health i would have said awe shucks just fire up the tikki bar and get one of those flashing light mixes for a boost. Then tackle the sander.:rofl: Might not go together properly after that though;)