Garage/shop rearrangement

And you didn't want to do it tonight:rolleyes: Riiiiggghhhhhttt:D our sons CAN and will bring out the best in us eh:thumb: SWEEET sander and man I can't wait to see your face the first time your fire up the stop saw:D:thumb::thumb::thumb:

And on the new table, no less.

And the picture of you with the smile on your face says it all! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

yeah, I dont want to post me too happy, Im never that happy. but the machine took all of 2 minutes to set up and adjust the tracking and tension.
Lifting it again was a problem, as I lost the grip and took another piece of the hardwood edge off my work bench, but thats that. and I was shocked how quiet it was.My son fixed my camera, I had it on nightime mode, I had no clue, the icon is around the size of a knat.Actually, I dont even see the button to press for the icon.

about this picture, all the wives can kiss their hubbys now for not looking like this. and in case the smile doesnt say it, I wrote it on paper.

Attachments

• cabinet 144 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 144 (Medium).jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Holy cow that makes your tablesaw look like a toy!

So how is the new shop layout and accessories working out for you?

Ill stop all the small cabinet builds now and make the mobile table tomorrow for the planer and drum sander. ONce I get those machines secured to a table, I can start cleaning up a bit and within a couple of weeks I can start building the bar.
I can always make a took cabinet, I miss working with hardwoods.
I have 26 linear feet of 26-27 inch wide mahogany saved for this project.
ONly bad thing is its on the bottom of the wood pile, so in a week or so my son will help me restack the pile I need to move, and Im going to make another top for the mahogany buffet I made over a year ago, since I wanted it thicker and now I can get very close to smooth and perfect top. That was my second top and although smooth, it has some waves in it Id like to change, but its already too thin.My wife says Im nuts to change it, noone cares and noone notices, and you know the first thing everyone does when they look at a piece of furniture with a shiny top is run their hand across it.
and now back to your question, when I have it all sorted out, Im almost certain the new layout and accessories is working out and will work out fabulous.

Last edited:
I've got the little brother, and I ordered a ton pretty much everything from 60-220.

I have never used anything more than 120 on it.

It does a great job of leveling things out, but tends to leave 'lines'. A little hand sanding with the higher grits on a ROS hand sander takes care of that.

I did buy the sandpaper in bulk and cut my own using a jig I made for it.

Basically, I just used one of the premade strips and attached it to a board and cut the angles on the board. Using some spring clamps, it's easy enough to attach the bulk paper to the board, and cut along the wood outline.

36 would be for taking off rough old finish, been doing a lot of that lately.

Then I keep a little of each, 100, 150, 180 and 220.

Need to order some from Klingspor. Might drop the 150 and go from 100 to 180 then final 220. Still learning what this thing can do. Couple others own similar maybe they can chime in with more info.

I've got the little brother, and I ordered a ton pretty much everything from 60-220.

I have never used anything more than 120 on it.

It does a great job of leveling things out, but tends to leave 'lines'. A little hand sanding with the higher grits on a ROS hand sander takes care of that.

I did buy the sandpaper in bulk and cut my own using a jig I made for it.

Basically, I just used one of the premade strips and attached it to a board and cut the angles on the board. Using some spring clamps, it's easy enough to attach the bulk paper to the board, and cut along the wood outline.

my toool guy told me to save the first strip I take off and use it as a template to cut further strips, He sells huge rolls for like 35 bucks and says thats all he sells and everyone uses them. I figured one grit around 40 for rough stuff, keep the 80, and maybe 120, cause I will always finish a top with the ROS with 180 or 220 on it. so now I have to order the infeed/outfeed tables and some paper.

steve-the 36 grit will get off the 2 coats of oil based polyurethane I use?

I gotta go build a table, see you guys later.

I keep 120 on mine. This is a finesse sander, not a sanding hog. 120 gets the ripples of a planer off. Then I jump to an RO with 150 on it.

I run lumber through it before milling. So 120 grit is the final dimension. I'll plane until I am within 1/32" and then run it through the Performax to it's final dimension. Sanding with the RO and 150 sometimes happens before assembly. Makes sanding for finish much, much easier and quicker.

I have had one of these for over 20 years and find this to be the best use of it for me. YMMV.

I appreciate all the input from all that have one, its new to me, but seems like a pretty handy piece of machinery to add to my shop, these big sanders always intrigued me. The guy I buy wood from has one that is almost 10 feet tall, a huge square box with a belt must be 40-48 inches wide. That and his huge altendorf 12 inch sliding TS impress me.

My only problem is the machine is alot bigger than I pictured, and I dont know why I expected something smaller.
Its going to need a larger mobile base with the planer than I originally had planned.

Allen, it will take it off but go slow. Small bites.

Carol, I probably abuse mine to a certain extent. I do things like hogging, but I do take small bites at a time. I have a bunch of Long Leaf that had a finish on it. Worked good for taking that off.

I had to change my plans of one table for planer and sander.
It would have been a bit too long and would not have gone along with my plans of having lots of move around room when working center of the shop.
I decided to use the old drill press rolling table for the planer, I will add 3 inches under the planer to lift it a bit, and Im building a rolling cabinet, with 4x4 support inside for the sander.
I could have just made a base with the castors I had and assembled the free stand that came with the sander, but then I wouldnt be a woodworker, who has to complicate simple issues, so Im building a cabinet.(nah, I really just wanted to have storage space under it). It will take up less room having 2 tables as I can move a machine outside if I want to, without having to move the TS or other things.

Now again, Im offering something to only local Family members.
I have the Jet open stand for the 22/44 still sealed in the box. You can look up the dimensions on the internet. Im sure its sturdy as heck, since it has to hold up a 300 lb machine.IM sure many different tools can be mounted to it.
Im not asking for money, I did not pay for it, it was part of the sale.
Im not shipping it, Im not schlepping it down to UPS, so please dont ask.
Anyone local needs it, please contact me.

Steve-the in and outfeed tables were ordered.

Last edited:
just about finished the cabinet for the drum sander.
Had to use whatever plywood scraps I had laying around, so the 2 doors are some scratched up Sapele Ply I had. I will put some stain on the plywood, whatever I have, and some hardwood edges around the table top.
Its plenty stout, more than enough to support the 22/44.
The planer will stay on that rolling cabinet that used to house the drill press.
And I still have to put a hardwood edge on the drawers under the work bench and add some drawer covers and knobs. tomorrow is another day.
(I had 3 dozen hinges from the old garage cabinets I took out, and all the screws used on this new rolling cabinet are recycled as well as most of the wood)

Attachments

• cabinet 158 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 158 (Medium).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 32
  • cabinet 161 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 161 (Medium).jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 35
  • cabinet 163 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 163 (Medium).jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 33
  • cabinet 166 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 166 (Medium).jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 37
Sheesh Allen you so darn fast i am having trouble keeping up. Man you are productive. But its very inspiring. :D:thumb:

Certainly no flys on you.:rofl::rofl:

I cant imagine what you gonna be like once you all setup and have the sawstop.

i think we will have to change your name to speedy Gonzales.
:rofl:

I want to thank my nieces boyfriend for running over this morning to help me lift the sander so I could continue working. I invited him to tell his uncle to join us here since his uncle is an avid woodworker and furniture maker(he does it as a career also). Unfortunately, IM losing him in 2 months, as hes off to go study in Canada, well, SUNY Plattsburgh, same thing.Anything north of Lake Placid is Canada to me.(and before I get blasted, I love Canada, and have visited it more than any other place Ive ever visited)
anyway, back to woodworking, I finished putting the trim on the sander cabinet, and finished putting the drawer fronts and knobs and trim on the work table drawers cabinet. I left the cabinets low so I can clamp easy enough.
Most of this was built with what I had laying around, so there might be some mismatched plywood, but I will stain it all next week so it blends a bit better.
The drawers under the table I used the old work bench plywood top, turned the top inside, since it was all banged up, used some pieces of 1/2 maple ply for the drawer fronts, and used a piece of 1/8 whatever it is,(the wood guy gives it to me when I buy an expensive sheet of veneered wood so when I lay it in my truck, it doesnt get scratched), I cut up and took out some decent pieces and used that for the back. I had to buy the drawer slides, and I had wooden knobs I bought some time ago.

I have a 30 drawer file cabinet. Funny things these small drawer filing cabinets.
If you try to buy one used, people want a fortune.
If you happen to go by any office or public school or library where they are renovating, they toss them out 10 at a time. Its 36 inches high, 12 depth, and 30 inches wide.
I just cant figure out where to hang it. I cant afford floor space, and now that I have the extra tool, I might not have enough room along the back wall for it.
Any suggestions? Im stuck on this one.
I changed something that says EV to 1.7 on my camera, the picture came out dark, but clear. btw, thats the jet stand for the 22/44 on the cabinet, and Im still offering it to anyone here that wants it and will pick it up.
If you have any problem with accepting anything for free, (since I know most of you guys are loaded and dont take charity), even though its brand new, ;you can donate something here to run this place, with the permission of the staff ofcourse.

Attachments

• cabinet 176 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 176 (Medium).jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 42
  • cabinet 174 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 174 (Medium).jpg
    63 KB · Views: 41
  • cabinet 172 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 172 (Medium).jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 43
  • cabinet 169 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 169 (Medium).jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 43
  • cabinet 177 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 177 (Medium).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Hey Allen,

Did you ever think about getting one of the hoists like Carol uses for lifting heavy things? I've got a manual chain hoist that I use some times for lifing heavy stuff. I rig up a 'frame' to add support instead of just using the garage rafters.