Garage/shop rearrangement

yeah, but once the machines are set now, I wont lift anything too heavy.

There will only be some heavy pieces of furniture in the future, and my BIL is always around for that.
I think eventually Ill get a chain hoist and figure out how to mount it so I can move heavier things when I need too.
right now my priorities are on getting all the shelving up so I can work again.
I have contacted my plumber/electrician/handyman to figure out how to put up some radiant heating suspended from the peak of the roof, dead center in the shop, but hes cruising down in PR or Aruba his son informed me.
I wasnt going to put any heat in there, but maybe an electric radiant heater for a few of the really cold days I want to work in there.
Im not going with anything expensive in there.

Hey Allen,

Did you ever think about getting one of the hoists like Carol uses for lifting heavy things? I've got a manual chain hoist that I use some times for lifing heavy stuff. I rig up a 'frame' to add support instead of just using the garage rafters.

for me to strap up a machine, rig up framework, cause for sure my garage roof would cave in, then move it and lower it and unhook it all, just may not be worth it when I can get help usually and it took us both all of 30 seconds to move the sander.
I have neighbors, friends, relatives, and my son is usually here once or twice a week, its just that I needed/wanted it moved quickly so I could work in there.
Most of the people that will gladly help me lift things live closer to me than you do to the end of your driveway. hehehe.(and my BIL works nights, so after he wakes up around 1 or 2 pm, hes always available for me, as I am for him if he needs a favor)

That metal cabinet sure would make a nice nail, screw and assorted hardware storage. You can't hang it on one of the walls. I'm sure you could find a space even if it meant rearranging some of the shelves built between the studs.

What are you going to do for an outfeed table for the sawstop? :wave:

IM going to put a sheet of 1/8th masonite on top of the rolling cabinet under the work bench(not the new assembly table), the one next to the mitre right side, and use that or continue to use the roller on a stand.
I recently had an opportunity to purchase one of those accordian style roller tables on wheels, for 100 bucks but didnt have my truck, and that was that. I keep my eyes open for a used one.
My supply of plywood is limited now, so I guess Ill be buying one more sheet next week or so.
I built one tool cabinet, dado'd out two 1/4 inch slots and cut down some plexiglass, put one inch holes in doors for finger pulls, and now my tools will be covered but visible, basically shelving with plastic covering.The key for me for tool storage is to have tools easy to reach, but totally out of the way of any real useful space I might need to work in/around.
Im only going to put up one more, around 30 inches, since my sanders and 2 routers wont be in there. I stuck the seldom used tools up in the corner one for now. Ill put a trim around the plywood edges this week.
Besides the other tool cabinet, I will build one flat cabinet with plexi door to hold my 3 planes, spokeshave, and whatever I purchase in the future.
AFter I assemble the Sawstop the week of 15th, I might abandon the shop rearrangement and start some woodworking. I can sort out all the hardware and drawers another time.

one more time, I have the 22/44 stand in the box brand new, if anyone here wants it, its yours, all you have to do is pick it up here. Im safe, a few guys from here have visited me here, so theres nothing to be frightened about.

Attachments

• cabinet 187 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 187 (Medium).jpg
    57 KB · Views: 47
  • cabinet 188 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 188 (Medium).jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 49
  • cabinet 190 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 190 (Medium).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
If you had a good wood stove you wouldn't need insulation. Dad had a shop with kraft paper over the studs & cedar lap siding & a 50 gallon barrel stove.

He had 2 diesel space heaters hooked to a thermostat kitty corner across a 20' x 50' shop that he would go out early & turn up the thermostat & start the wood stove. Then he would go back to the house & have his coffee & breakfast by that time the space heaters would bring the heat up & the wood stove would keep it nice.

another pretty much unproductive day outside.
I was in the shop almost all day from 10am, just didnt want to do much, was playing too much. (my wife wants to know how I played with the belt sander, and I just couldnt answer her, but I played with it today)
Im able to start pushing things where I want them to be, just the red tool box is blocked by a few cartons and bins behind it, but I will have approx a 10x10 area to now work in, so I will be able to use two work tables in the middle, still use my tablesaw, and only have to move the work benches back to the left side to have access and use my belt sander, planer or bandsaw without having to put everything back and forth.
I kept bashing the hardwood edges I put around the rolling work/assembly table and the stationary one it parks next too, so I found some weather stripping and lined the hardwood edge of the stationary table so when I roll them together, they dont bash in and chip the wood.
I took some 1/2 inch maple ply I had, and built an in between the studs cabinet to hold my large collection of 3 planes and one spokeshave.
Im sure over the next few years Ill get my hands on a few more planes, and if I have too, Ill add a small cabinet to the left of that one.
I took an acrylic front off a hanging cutlery display unit some time back, and I will make a door for the plane cabinet and use that plastic.
I will be putting up another tool cabinet between the plane cabinet and the other tool cabinet, just dont have any ply laying around, too lazy to go buy some.
Im thrilled with all the space Ill have now in the center, making it easy to work on all 4 sides of something and still having room to move around the place.
Im not throwing any weddings or bar mitzvahs in there, but its nice to have a bit of room.
Im shutting down the shop and locking it all down for the next 4-5 days.

Attachments

• cabinet 194 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 194 (Medium).jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 54
  • cabinet 199 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 199 (Medium).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 53
  • cabinet 200 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 200 (Medium).jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 50
  • cabinet 201 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 201 (Medium).jpg
    75 KB · Views: 51
Man, I hardly recognize the place with all the space in the middle of the room. Your work now will pay off in spades in the months to come.

Here's to the treatment going smoothly and you back to making sawdust soon.
beer.gif

I was leaving for the day and I just couldnt leave that cabinet open, so I planed down some spanish cedar,dado'ed out the grooves for the plastic door panel and used pocket holes and made the door for the plane cabinet.The hinges are the same snap close, so the door stays shut and keeps the dust off the tools.
Now I can shut down and lock up.

Attachments

• cabinet 206 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 206 (Medium).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 50
  • cabinet 205 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 205 (Medium).jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 50
  • cabinet 203 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 203 (Medium).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
very slow progress, had to rebuild the mitre ramp today, and messed it up twice, so I spent well over an hour just cleaning and pulling brads.
Put up some chisel racks in between studs to save space. If nothing protrudes out from the wall back there, I can work with the lathe without rolling the table out, just pushing it a few feet from the wall.(someday I will go back and practice with the lathe)
I put plastic(I have alot of it) across the front of the rack so if something hits the rack, the chisels wont fall out. The only 2 chisels I really have that are worth putting into a secure place are the two easy tools. The others are all cheapos.
Tomorrow Ill make a router bit storage case, up against the far left wall next to the plane cabinet.
Im going to move electric switches and outlets, but I dont want to do that myself, since I want new ones installed, Id rather have someone with more experience than myself help me.(my buddy will assist me with those)

Attachments

• cabinet 217 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 217 (Medium).jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 42
  • cabinet 219 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 219 (Medium).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 38
My sawstop is sitting a mile away from my home.
It was supposed to be delivered last friday, but I wasnt around.
I was told it was coming this morning.
Tool guy just called, he doesnt have a delivery guy till wednesday.
I can go pick it up, but thats not an option for me.
Wednesday is better for me, since its not getting assembled for use at least till next saturday or sunday, and I can keep all that space open in the shop for a day or two more.

finished the router bit cabinet today, its slow going when I only draw out the dimensions on paper then try to memorize the rest of the measurements as I go along.
Mahogany frames, lucite door panel.
It serves it purpose, keeps them neat and in place, doesnt take up any room, in between studs again.
I didnt have enough 1/2 inch holders, but only own a handful of 1/2 inch shaft bits, so eventually I hope to fill the cabinet as I go along.
I have a few other dovetail and straight bits(in sets), I just dont know where I packed it all away. As I start emptying boxes and drawers Ill find them.
I have to go through whatever plywood scraps I have and see if I can make one more tool cabinet for over the bit cabinet to finish off the cabinets on that wall.
Ill then figure out something for the 4 air brad guns I have, and then Ill be done making cabinets and drawers. Ill just put up alot of shelves between the studs, and some 12 inch shelving along the walls up high where it wont interfere with any machines or me working.
Id like to get started on my sons bar and my nieces bed. Ive had enough of this rearrangement. Obviously, so has everyone else. Ill shoot a pic of the sawstop when its delivered, for the pic police, then shut down here.
For aesthetic reasons, I completely forgot to make the cabinet a bit shorter so it would line up on the bottom with the plane cabinet, so Ill probably add a shelf under the plane cabinet to make it look even, not sure why I want to do that.

Attachments

• cabinet 222 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 222 (Medium).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 50
  • cabinet 224 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 224 (Medium).jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 44
  • cabinet 225 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 225 (Medium).jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Wow, really liking all the progress you're making Allen. I was just starting to layout some plans for getting my tools unpacked and what to do with them...giving off some great ideas...keep em coming! :thumb:

It kinda blows that not only my new saw came in and was delivered this morning, I cant go out and work yet today.
Its probably the nicest day this year, considering its mid November, the weatherman said rain on and off, and yet, its 62 degrees already, bright sunshine, with a nice warm breeze going up to upper 60s today.
No sleep, cant function, just got up for the delivery.
I hope I can get out of bed by noon today.
The sign was a present from the tool guy.
The saw was a present from my wife.

Attachments

• cabinet 230 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 230 (Medium).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 57
  • cabinet 232 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 232 (Medium).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited: