Garage/shop rearrangement

its funny. I found 2 sets of 22 inch(it says something like 21.7 inches) drawer slides while I was digging through boxes looking for the casters.
I made simple plywood boxes and mounted the slides on them and put them inside the 22/44 cabinet and Ill store my orbital sanders and supplies in those pull out boxes/drawers.
Kept me busy for a couple of hours today as I froze out there.
A few more shelves, a cabinet door, and Im moving on to sorting out all the loose stuff in boxes, cause Ive had enough with the rearrangement stuff.
when weather permits, Ill start making some beds.

IM done doing as much as I need to do. I still have boxes and bins of hardware and asst junk to sort out and put into all those drawers I have, but I felt a surge today and it felt good to feel the adrenaline pump as I started to look over the cherry boards for bed posts.(wish I had 12/4 cherry, but I dont mind gluing up smaller boards)
I have too much to do this week and dont want to wear myself out, so if weather permits, Ill finally be milling up wood next week.
I stood in the middle of the shop today, and loved all the room I made.
For the first time in years, I will be able to build something and work on it from all 4 sides without difficulty and have a couple of other work surfaces free for other work.

Last edited:
when every inch counts

oh man,what a booboo.

I noted this before, but now its an issue.

When I designed the left wall and work benches, I stood in the doorway and pulled the door closed on my belly to see how much room I needed to squeeze by the doorway in case my overhead door lost power and I needed to get into the garage for whatever.

I was playing around with cords for 20 minutes before, and when I went to get back into the garage, some how, I didnt plug the garage door opener back in properly, and the unit didnt have power.(it went down fine)
When I figured out it had to be something in the garage, I could not squeeze my body through the entrance door. I almost got stuck, and I mean stuck.
(and cut myself on my back and belly trying to force my way in)

I now have to go move all the benches over an inch, inch and a half, since thats all I need.
When I moved them that inch or so in the beginning, it didnt seem like it would prevent me from getting through.
So either I lose weight fast, or move all the benches.
I had to stop one of the neighbors kids before while walking her dog so she could squeeze in for me and I pointed her to the cord which was loose.
I hesitated last time I knew I couldnt get in, but now I see there could be a problem, and I want to take care of it.

Last edited:
I wanted some hardware bins, but I wanted bigger than the pullout drawers I have in this small unit.bed 269 (Medium).jpg I need bins to hold my common used screws and I want to be able to see what I have left, and take the bin with me whereever Im working. so I used some 1/2 inch mdf today, and finally using some of the masonite I salvaged(I tossed alot of it this morning, along with unwanted pegboards). I had purchased alot of 1/4 inch plexiglass from the Build it Green Salvage place to make door panels in the garage/shop, so I cut some of it. (I have alot of fun going to all these "green" salvage places. I never know what I might find.
Not pretty, some mdf split when I tried to screw in plexi, but very functional.
Ill probably put a few more up when I get back to shop organizing.
Im actually not working on anything right now besides a couple of tiny projects, so Ill do the shop cleaning and organizing this and next week.
Just want warmer temps so I can start my next project but dont want to schlep all the glueups into the house, so I need it over 50 to keep the shop warm enough. Today its 60, tomorrow 65, incredible beautiful weather for February in NY.;

Attachments

• bed 270 (Medium).jpg
    bed 270 (Medium).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 43
never thought Id be addressing any issues in my shop again, but with the overhead remaining closed, it opened another issue for me.
I dont like the closed in feeling. I started removing the overhead loft storage covering the entire left side of the garage/shop. Its where I do most of the work, as the right side is mostly lumber storage.
It opens up the top from approx 7 feet to peak of around 12 feet or more.
I will be able to handle 8 footers and sheets with a bit more of ease since Im confined to less horizontal usage of the open overhead and driveway.
Id rather not open the door during the hot months anyway with the AC running.
Can something drop me a bit of advice. Please dont make fun of me when it comes to electrical stuff, Im terrified of live wires and cables, not so much of what they are, but because I have little knowledge of how it all works.
So I had to disconnect a hotwired fluourescent fixture, and first, I shut off all power to the garage, then I unscrewed the plate, disconnected the 2 wires, white and black, and twisted the wire caps on each wire and taped with electrical tape.
Is it safe now to just tuck that cable along a stud until my electrician friend gets around here to cut it/disconnect it?
I cant reach him, hes away on vacation.
Im not turning on that circuit breaker until I know its safe, so if you know, just type it in here and Ill check in a few hours. Thanx. (if you have my cell, buzz me so I can move on if I finish before)

btw-Ill be installing all new dust collection lines and moving everything left side down 2 inches since thats all I have left to make entrance door opening that much wider. Cant believe Im doing this shop stuff again.

Attachments

• bed 470 (Medium).jpg
    bed 470 (Medium).jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 40
  • bed 471 (Medium).jpg
    bed 471 (Medium).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 44
  • bed 473 (Medium).jpg
    bed 473 (Medium).jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 42
  • bed 475 (Medium).jpg
    bed 475 (Medium).jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 41
  • bed 474 (Medium).jpg
    bed 474 (Medium).jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 38
I wonder would it be better for you to have the electrician run those wires to a box with a plugin in it? Then you would have that availability to plug in a light or tool if need be. I don't remove anything like this without thinking of all the possibilities first.

thanx steve,
bart, my son can wire up a new box, I just cant reach him today and Im not sure if Ill need that line,its tapped off one of the other boxes.

I got the entire loft removed, struggling with the heat and weakness, but got it done. Tomorrow Ill denail all the boards to toss them. Gotta clean up the yard also, having a big bbq on sunday, and right now I have all the crap laying all over the yard and tables.

Im headed out to Janowski's in oceanside shortly, best chop meat on Long Island and Ill pick up 10 lbs of chicken cutlets while Im there.

Last edited:
I had a feeling the sawdust from the mitre saw that wasnt getting sucked up through the dust line had to go somewhere. Well, I took all the benches down today and away from the walls, and man o man, I found the sawdust.
Mountains of it. Im going to try something new tomorrow, using a large scoop, cutting the back of the workbench off and securing the scoop there, with a line attached to the dust outlet on the mitre also, and attach a shop vac only to the mitre to see if it works better.

I've always thought a special bench with a funnel shaped catch basin underneath the miter saw with the back around part way to each side coming up high enough for the saw to spray into so all the saw dust would go into the funnel & down to one collection point.

Maybe you can get Vaughn to turn you one.:eek::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::D:):thumb::wave:

my contractor was just here and I know he had his own cabinet shop for 25 years, so I asked him how did he control the mitre saw dust.
He told me he rarely used the mitre, so it was the only tool not hooked up to the dust collection system. Big help he was, not!

If I had a few feet of space behind it, Id use some kind of tent set up leaving the dust no choice other than direct it into something.
The dust collection port on the makita only gets half the spray.

You could do something like this...

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showpost.php?p=262481&postcount=1

That's a dust collector port at the bottom...

attachment.php

Close to what I pictured in my head brent.
Being the saw is very close to the wall studs, I was going to use a sheet of 1/8th masonite, put some edges on it, and use a large plastic scoop underneath the table.

The shop is only being redone because of this must keep the overhead door closed for now on. Its disturbing to me, but after many sleepness nights and many long talks with the wife, I dont want to make waves and I dont know what would happen if I moved the shop to either a new home or a new rented space. So to save a ton of dough, Im rearranging again.

Until you stand in my shop, its hard to understand my motivation and reasons for everything.

My main reason for moving everything on the left side is to make the entrance door, not the overhead door, easily more accessable to use for now on so I dont have to open and close the overhead constantly.
I had the work bench just far away enough that I could barely squeeze my belly into the shop or out in the event of power failure or overhead door breaking down and not moving. Now, I will be able to open and go through the door easily and quickly, and thats how things will be for now.

Gonna cost me one sheet of plywood, and 2 sets of cheapo drawer slides.

My plan of attack is as follows(I know it makes little sense unless you see it)
1. Remove the overhead loft storage and open up ceiling to peak of 12 feet(done)
2.Hang more lighting fixtures(done, but I havent figured out wiring for it yet)
3.Move the entire left wall of machines and workbenchs 6 inches to the right(working on it)
4.Take castors off rolling cabinet which is under one work bench. Make it a permanent cabinet next to mitre right side, and add 2 more drawers on top and level off to mitre height(working on it)
Now that I have to use the saws to build more drawers, I have everything disoconnected and piled in one corner, every dust line is down, so Im going to have to work around this mess
5.Not sure if shop vac or dust collector line will work with mitre. If shop vac, Ill need very, very little line for dust collector, wont buy pvc or sheet metal lines, since the TS is next to dust collector and then I only need one line for bandsaw, planer, jointer, or drum sander.
6.Reinstall some dust lines
7.Get a new shed hopefully by summers end, move some lumber and the drum sander into it for storage. Drum sander is not used more than once or twice every couple of months, dont need that huge cabinet and machine sitting taking up space. I will use the castors from the rolling cabinet, and build a small assembly table so I have 2 assembly tables, and one work bench.
8.After its all setup somewhat, Im going to try to lay some Gladiator flooring. I have 100 sq feet of it now, want to see how the machines roll on it.
9.Now, is it as clear as mud?

Its very warm and humid right now, and monday I start treatment, so around the 10th or 11th I will go full steam to get it all done quickly.

but I think I might have to go out and buy a 4 inch hole saw set, might come in handy.

Besides dust collection lines, I never thought Id be moving anything in that shop again.

Last edited:
Allen, I don't know the width of your overhead door, but now that it is essentially a wall, don't forget a bench could go there also. Maybe an assembly type bench so sawdust isn't getting sprayed onto the inside of the door. Leaving half of the width will allow you to carry sheet goods in or projects out easily. :huh::dunno: