Garage/shop rearrangement

jon, thats why when I get the drum sander and its huge rolling base cabinet out of the garage, along with some lumber, Ill be able to back up the TS a few more feet and when I build that second assembly table, against the overhead was the spot I was thinking off. Figured Id make the table same height as TS so I finally have an outfeed for TS and an extra table to build.

did you read my mind? Can you also predict tonights power ball?

Its already 80 and 95% humidity here at 11 am.
There is zero incentive for me to go out and work on dust collection today.
The last place I want to be is crawling under a workbench with dust when its unbearable weather. When I clean dust, I like to keep the overhead door open, besides being cheap, how many ACs do I have to run today.
I might not leave this room today.
Im thinking about running over to Long Beach and sitting there like a beached whale. (out of sun ofcourse), Its a weekday, all the college kids are home, so it will probably be me and 2 or 3 thousand young ladies in bikinis. Dont think my heart could handle that. Maybe Ill get under that dusty bench.

Last edited:
Allen

Instead of an assembly table how about for bases (read legs) plywood pieces slotted so they will slide together so when viewed from above they form an + as bases to set a 1 1/2" inch thick torsion box (nice flat surface) as a top of you choice in dimension. This way the top can be set against the wall & the bases + cab come apart & hang on the wall too.

The top could be skinned with 1/4" plywood & the core web could be 1/2" strips. Nice & light & flat & it makes it possible to have the table at different heights as well as not have it at all.

The pics show my torsion box for the base of my bench.

This torsion box is deeper than what you'll need but the principle is the same.

No single little pieces all strips of the same length & going in the same direction were clamped together & notched on the table saw with a Dado blade all at the same time. Then with the plywood set on jointed 2x4's shimmed on the bench so all were level & flat with each other lay the plywood on top & glue & fasten on your edge & then glue & drop in your torsion grid I air nailed the ends to the edge & made sure to mark the ends of the torsion grid on the outside of the edge so you know the placement of the grid for the other plywood piece to close up the box. I didn't have a pocket hole jig at the time but would use a few in the torsion web to pull it tight to the plywood if they go through the sheet it's ok you can back them before you install the other sheet. After you put the top sheet on you can air nail it down & flip the box & put a few nails in the other sheet.

I know guy that lives in Texas & builds beautiful projects for profit specialty items very expensive top dollar stuff that uses portable torsion tops like this.

Attachments

• torsion box 001.jpg
    torsion box 001.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 30
  • torsion box 002.jpg
    torsion box 002.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 28
  • torsion box 004.jpg
    torsion box 004.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 29
  • torsion box 006.jpg
    torsion box 006.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
My assembly table now is a torsion box.
I havent given much thought to one that breaks down yet.
Im going to wait until I get the new shed, and see how much space I have up against the back and right walls when I move lumber out of there also.
Gives me another option. (I currently use those plastic party tables, 30x72 with folding metal legs when I need more space to hold glueups after I assembly them on the torsion box)

I started a rough chute today to collect as much dust as possible from the mitre. I need to go steal a piece of tin sheet from my AC repair buddy to make a curve. It also invovles using a piece of hose I saved from a pool filter I had 30 years ago. I never wanted to throw the hose out. Now it will come in handy, it fits the mitre dust port perfectly.

Last edited:
did I mention having to rip out everything and do it again, really sucks bigtime?
Im cleaning the walls, ceiling, as I go along.
I didnt have enough sheet tin/metal to make a duct/slide into the chute big enough. I used what I had, and when I come across a piece at least 18 inches wider and taller, Ill cut 2 more wood back pieces and attach the new piece. I know a guy who bends tin for gutters and windows, Ill ask his partner(a contractor neighbor of mine to steal a piece of tin from him)
I need to get the mitre saw hooked up to dust collection so I can move TS back into place, and build another set of drawers and top to level off cabinet next to mitre right. I took the wheels off, its stationary now, but managed to move it all over almost 6 inches, making the entrance door totally and easily accessable for a fat guy.
Im working in slowmo, since everything is piled on top of each other, and I cant stand it.

Im going to run a dust line underneath the workbench with the machines left of the mitre to the dust collector. I rarely move that bench, only to get to the lathe, and I havent touched the lathe in over a year, but will leave enough slack so I can move the bench a few feet from wall in case I get an urge to spin.
Without having to run a line from ceiling to mitre like I had before, Im saving a ton of footage of line and Im sure Ill get better suction making the run less than half the length.
Ill move the tablesaw back into place, hook it to dust collector, and work on the upper drawers and top for the workbench mitre right. Then Ill run a a dust line on top for other equipment. Then Im done moving and rearranging I hope.

Its really ridiculous I have to devote weeks to my already done shop to gain 4 inches of wall space to move everything down, but this is what it is for me.

btw-I hooked the mitre dust chute up to the shop vac for this morning to test it out. That pool fliter hose will just hang loose in the shoot, the dust shoots out fine from the dust port through there, and much of the dust from the blade on a straight cut hits the tin backstop and falls in the chute.
With a larger backstop, Im sure I will get alot more dust collection then Ive had so far with the mitre.

If I wasnt so ticked off and bored, I wouldnt post this stuff. Just trying to show all you guys with 700 sq feet what the rest of the woodworking world has to deal with.

Attachments

• bed 484 (Medium).jpg
    bed 484 (Medium).jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 51
  • bed 486 (Medium).jpg
    bed 486 (Medium).jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 55
  • bed 487 (Medium).jpg
    bed 487 (Medium).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 51
  • bed 488 (Medium).jpg
    bed 488 (Medium).jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
No idea on the powerball, never played. But if it uses four numbers you posted temp and humidity, use those numbers! (if you win, I'll accept 10%!!:rofl::rofl:):thumb::thumb:

The bench outfeed table solution sounds like a winner. :thumb::thumb:

Your a lucky fellow Allen I have 0 square feet for a shop right now. All my house hold goods & shop tools are in storage right now. Some of us got it & some don't. You got it I hope you can grin & bear it. I how ever have a very good neighbor & land lord. The parking fee for the motor home is free I help with the garbage & electric bill & the motor home is on loan from close friends too. Internet & phone are free.

On another note the LOML still has double over lapping vision & dizziness & very tired & easily stressed.

It sounds like you tire easily & are stressed easily too. I hope you make it through this ok.

I know things are tough for you right now Bart, and if you lived on this side Id be more than happy to let you work in my shop and use my tools.(as long as you clean up and dont run any machine after 5 pm so the local noise cops dont harrass me)

Im just frustrated I have to spend a couple of weeks doing what I did a while back.

I hope your wife gets some relief soon.

Im not going through all the bins again, I piled it all up away out of my way, tomorrow and saturday I will hang a main dust line(all I need is one line), will order that expandable hose that goes from 3 to 21 feet, perfect for my needs, some quick attachments, and after the therapy next week, I will start some small projects, handrail, adirondack chair, and then strip the back door and repaint. So Im getting back on track.

I left a sheet of plywood out overnight and the wind blew it sideways on the back table, and the sheet curled up horribly with all the humidity and the position it was in. I tried to lay it opposite way and clamp it down, it did nothing. So because I just didnt want to spend another nickel, I attempted to cut down the sheet and tried to make cuts to get relatively flat pieces.
I only needed to make a 2 cabinet table top of 9 inches, and figured if I secure it good to bottom cabinet, it will flatten out. Well, I was wrong.
That plywood is not budging. Even screwed down on ends and center its off a bit, but since its only a workbench to slam on , and not to assembly on, for now, until I build another one, its going to have to do. I dont have plywood to make drawer fronts, so Im just going to use some MDF, paint it, used 2x4s to cut a cover for the plywood edges, and thats it. 25 cents handles from the 99 cent store. Im still disgusted with this all, and cant seem to shake it,just a bad taste in my mouth and it aint sawdust. have not started much, still need some tin to make a bigger chute, and still need to hang a dust line.
The only positive thing is that the shop is air conditioned now,and on a day like today, with high 70s, and humidity, it was a pleasure temp wise in there.

Last edited:
theres a few different style plastic hoods available rob.
Its basically a big scoop. I dont want to run the mitre halfway into the center of the garage, so I need something right up against the wall.
When I pick up a piece of sheet aluminun, or steel, Im going to make a chute alot higher and alot wider, to guide the dust into the bottom area.
320 sq feet total. but once some lumber and drum sander come out, that should give me alot more space.

I finally got my head on straight today and decided to start planning out my next few weeks of shop nonsense and woodworking.
I was supposed to take back door of house down and strip and paint it this week, but I put that off till next week when the plumber starts moving the boiler system, in order for me to have my new kitchen installed.
Im going to have to be around so I will work on the door on the driveway while they work so they dont have to keep banging on the garage door when they need something.
I hooked up the hoses today so all my machines are ready for quick hookup to dust collector and I can start working.
I did not go nuts with the mitre saw right cabinet. I used some of that old pine shelving, 2 drawer pulls I took off the 100 year old schwarz cabinet, and used some walnut stain I had thrown out. ONe drawer is warped, due to bad plywood, but Im leaving it for the summer. I will rebuild an entire new work cabinet for there next year, right now I want to see how things work out for me.
Cleaned up today, and IM going to start pulling wood and milling it for the raised panels window bench Im redoing. This should keep me busy for a while, and Ill stop next week to do door and some minor painting.
Felt good to make some sawdust today.

Allen i am not sure you noticed but the cool thing about the rousseau is that it slides along a rail of sorts at the back of the mitre saw in such a manner as to move when you move the cutting angle of the mitre. This way the big yellow scoop is always behind the blade to catch the sawdust firing out the back.

Have fun making sawdust.;)

rob, I dont have the room to spare behind the mitre. Im not moving the mitre out into the center. My tablesaw is right there and I dont want to allocate any more space for the mitre. I still havent picked up a larger piece of tin, but as soon as I do, I think its working out. I used the old pool filter hose, cut a 6 inch piece, and used a tie to curve it downwards. When the mitre is on an angle, the hose still points down into the bin. most of the dust shoots through the hose. Ill shoot a pic when I get a larger piece for the backboard.
I appreciate all the ideas you shoot my way. My entire work area is set around that idea you sent me over a year ago,with the machines on bases that slide into a slot.
I think Barts idea of break down assembly tables might be the way for me to go also.
When I get the new shed, Im going to build one, with the slotted base and store it in there so its always available and I dont have to use floor space for another rolling table/bench.

Oops my bad. I was so caught up in how good the yellow looked I forgot the mutual space behind the mites saw issue.(lol). Thanks Allen for sobering me up.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

without too much stress, I sold my shed yesterday. Unfortunately, after emptying it out, and loading every inch in the garage/shop, the guy wont be able to make it till monday or tues with a proper trailer and team to move it.

I just read it takes anywhere from 3-10 weeks to get a new shed:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
wow, I thought it was like a tool, order it and get it delivered 3 days later.
I have no clue what Im going to do now with my shop cluttered up with junk.
I had to spend an hour today just moving some stuff around so I could cut molding for the bench.
I have all that crap from my old store, the snow blower, and just bins and bins of junk.
anyone need peghooks? hehehehehehe.

I really dont want to have to shut down now for 6 weeks, Im just getting used to working with the AC on and doors closed.

the positive thing is now I will be able to move my drum sander and lumber into the new larger shed when it gets here so Ill free up alot of floor space and be able to get serious again.

lost my first post.
anyway, I purchased the shed today.
I wanted to go with maximum 10x10 allowed by code, but it seems like a 10 foot roof span wont meet height requirements and I wont know till mid week whether or not the shed guys can lower the pitch enough without taking more than an inch or two off the wall height. If they cant, I went with an 8x12, no windows, composite sides, upgraded doors(no charge)upgraded roofing(no charge) and upgraded flooring(no charge).
Im hoping the shed people can get me my shed within 4 weeks.
I dont think Ill get much woodworking done until then, since my shop is full of storage stuff now, and things like snowblowers and garden tools.
I put all the bins and boxes on dollys, so I can at least get to most of my machines if I need to do something. Just have to move alot of stuff each time.
Im going to gain a mimimum of 40 sq ft floor space in my shop with new shed, and be able to store an extra torsion top knockdown assembly table in there also for when I need it.

I can work around all the clutter, its just very time consuming and I wouldnt want to tackle any big projects. I think I have enough spanish cedar laying around to build 2 adirondack chairs Ive been meaning to gift out to someone, so I might start milling the wood this week, no rush, so whatever I get done the next few weeks, thats it.
Got alot of decluttering to do, now might be the time.