Garage/shop rearrangement

I hung some double slotted standards today and put all my cherry, spalted maple and mystery wood into the shed.
Along with a ton of other junk.
Didnt realize that 6 inch step up would take its toll on my knees but after carrying all that stuff and stepping up with it has tortured this old mans knees today.
Im hoping by monday or tues I have the wall emptied enough to start putting in the wool insulation.
I decided to wait till much, much cooler weather to do any more insulating.
Maybe mid to late October and Ill get my son to do the roof first.
What a mess.

moving along filling it up, threw in whatever mahogany and spanish cedar I had left in nice size boards, and the last couple of walnut boards.

Attachments

• kitchen makeover 046 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen makeover 046 (Medium).jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 53
  • kitchen makeover 047 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen makeover 047 (Medium).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Allen, how about a pallet/skid/4" deck/platform out front of the shed to cut that step height in half? Large enough that you don't "fall" off of it. I was thinking of a pallet with a piece of plywood on top. :huh:

I was going to lay some 2x4s flat with a step, but its only while I load the junk in.
I wont be accessing the shed much. Once the contractor leaves and hauls his tools away, Ill load up some more junk and thats about it. Ill only go in there for the drum sander or some wood.
For the drum sander and snow blower I have a nice solid cargo ramp that works ok.

Looks good Allen. What i see is a well made shed. Good buy. The way you have your wood now will mean less work when you need to get at a piece. Thats going to be a bonus for you by comparison to the past. :thumb:

I did not understand the task or really give it enough thought to remove all the lumber and put in sound insulation.
Its a massive task to move over a thousand bf of heavy hardwoods.
I then had to remove every shelf I built in between the studs and clean out the nails and brads. Clean up and tonight I put some waterproof caulking in between the slab and wood structure and some in the cracks.
I noticed I had something living in a tiny square section behind the wood, seems it got in from underneath the wood, so I sealed it all up and the outside I put alot of broken up cement pieces from the kitchen makeover.
Packed it all in good. Best I could.
I decided to go with sheetrock over the acoustical stuffing because I didnt want the stuffing to get filled with sawdust. I wont go nut taping and applying joint compound, one quick slap of white stuff and Im done on that wall. Im hoping to finish the lumber wall by this weekend. I have to remove all the standards to put on sheetrock then rehang them all. Very time consuming.
I will begin the front/overhead wall sometime late sept when it gets cooler out.
I also think Im going to use acoustical ceiling panels and attach them above.
Im going way over my original plan as far as money. It just cant be done for 3 or 4 hundred bucks. IMpossible.

I got the lumber wall sheeted up and I will start replacing the lumber rack and then the lousy task of replacing the lumber onto the rack.
I have enough soundproofing insulation to do the front wall(overhead door wall), so when it cools down a little outside I will tackle that wall.
I want to woodwork again, so IM going to let this go for a bit after the lumber wall.
Im going to wait for either a Lowes or HD discount card or for what I need to go on sale.

Attachments

• kitchen makeover 048 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen makeover 048 (Medium).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 34
  • kitchen makeover 051 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen makeover 051 (Medium).jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 34
Wow, you went all out! No reason to kill yourself trying to do it all at once. I suspect you'll really enjoy it and make your neighbors happy with this project. I don't envy you moving all that wood. Picked up about 800 bd ft of walnut a few weeks ago. It was quite a chore loading the trailer, then unloading in the shop.

yeah, it came down to where can I keep all the lumber without it getting wet.
My ipe chairs are fine under the 800 or so lbs of lumber I threw on them.
Thats mostly 10-12 footers of hard maple and ash.

Attachments

• kitchen makeover 049 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen makeover 049 (Medium).jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 41
I was in the hardware today, and needed some joint compound.
One container stated "light" on it, so I bought it.
Guess what, the 60 lbs of light compound weighs just as much as the 60 lbs of regular compound.
Go figure.

dont get the wife upset

while I was working my butt off today sweating and moving lumber, my wife and me had to decide tonights plans, so we decided to shoot one round of darts, winner gets choice.
I won, but she threw the last dart anyway when I went to take them down.

Attachments

• kitchen makeover 053 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen makeover 053 (Medium).jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 38
Hmm you didn't used to be stuck up but you are now.

You'll know to wear a wooden girdle when playing darts with her next time.

You also have a good story when ever someone said boy she sure stuck it to him.

Oh I forgot OUCH now don't get so holy you no earthly good.

Last edited:
I won, but she threw the last dart anyway when I went to take them down.

Youch! That's gotta leave a mark. :p

...You'll know to wear a wooden girdle when playing darts with her next time...

For 18 months after I broke my back, I wore a plastic body brace from armpits to hips...basically a UHMW plastic girdle about 1/4" thick with another 1/4" of foam padding inside. I caught a lot of people at the office off-guard when I would pin notes to my chest with a stapler. It was a great prank in the Reception area, where people didn't know about me and my bionic body. :D

That'l teach ya Allen. You should know to check the barrel before you step in front of shooter to check out the target.

Dont do it at the shooting range. ;) After that i would have let her make the choice of what to do regardless. :D