Garage/shop rearrangement

my bil works overnight, but when he gets off in the morning hes going to come over to help me lift it.
The kids are home from college this week, so Ill have one of them pop over to help me put it back on the table.

ATC-all terrain cabinet

great idea alan, switched over to the bigger pneumatic castors and its now an all terrain cabinet.
didnt put the sander back on it(waiting for help), but let my wife sit on the cabinet(she put up alot of resistance to help me out on this one) and rolled her on the grass a little.
I dare not mention her weight as its sure death for me, and I know she doesnt weigh as much as the sander, but I was able to roll it around the lawn and Ill only need to go 8 inches with the machine on the grass.(135lbs, but you didnt hear it from me)

Attachments

• cabinet 092 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 092 (Medium).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 25
  • cabinet 095 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 095 (Medium).jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 24
I had a whole bunch of scrap wood, an old bed from Ikea, cheapo wood, my bil tossed but I took it to use for when I finish or stack cut wood, and the old top of that finger jointed pine panel I used to use in the finish room as a table. It was so chipped, full of paint and stain, I just left it outside yesterday to toss tomorrow.
But my niece needs a coffee table when she moves into an apt up at college, so she asked me to make her one.
I cleaned up all the scrap wood and starting glueing up last night and today to make her a coffee table.
Im in the middle of 3-4 projects, I had to stop today because there are glueups all over the shop and theres no more place to work.

picked up a couple of items that will make my woodworking easier and healthier.
paddle switch for the router and the Jet 1000 air filter.

Attachments

• cabinet 132 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 132 (Medium).jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 37
  • cabinet 133 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 133 (Medium).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 39
after speaking with someone who lives a mile north of me, and finding out his shed was burglarized a few months ago, I decided nothing of value will remain in my shed.(I have the receiver installed for alarm, but there isnt a secure lock on it, so I decided against alarming it)
I had to get the drum sander into the shop and that meant precision stacking of lumber so the sander fits in and doesnt take a large space away from me.
Restacked it all, took most of the shorts out, and 90% of the lumber I had stacked in the shed is now in the garage with me.(reminded myself, just how heavy 8/4 hard maple 10 inch wides boards are)
I will be able clean out the shed, put in shelves, and finally be able to move in there.
I have to make a new section for clamps, will work on that tomorrow if I have time.

Its incredible outside today, feels like 60 degrees, even though its in mid fifties.
working with the door open and a short sleeve shirt. Gotta love it in north east on dec 31st.
I got some bad news, the shop Im looking to move into, the current tenant was supposed to sell his home and move, but the deal fell through last week, and hes asked the landlord if he can stay a bit longer till he finds another buyer for his home. ech.

Attachments

• cabinet 152 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 152 (Medium).jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 38
  • cabinet 153 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 153 (Medium).jpg
    71 KB · Views: 38
  • cabinet 154 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 154 (Medium).jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 38
Bummer on the shop space Allen, what about killing two birds with one stone? Buy his house, get away from 'neighbors' and the shop becomes available again :D

Luv the lumber, I could probably fit all of mine in/on your sander cart :(

On the alarm front, I bought one of those cheap magnetic activated alarm systems, $40 dollars or so IIRC, not tied into any monitoring or such, but definitely catches the neighbors attention, and the siren looks like a camera,or so my neighbors think...& I leave 'em thinking that :thumb:

I have motion sensitive lights all over outside, and 4 security cameras that I can access from anywhere.
My NN is home 90% of the time, as they never go away or out much, so thats a good security system for me.(I was told by the previous owner at my closing 25 years ago, youll never be robbed, the NN is always watching, works out for me now)
Im pretty sure if a criminal wants to break in, nothing will stop them, but the cameras and lights and alarms will be a deterent for some local moron who is looking to make a quick grab what he can and run.

so I was thinking about going to the show over in brooklyn today or tomorrow(hand tool show), but the weatherman promised temps at 50 today and tomorrow, so these are gift days in January for me, decided to finally clean out the 40 bins and 8 cartons of junk and junk hardware.
a few things I discovered. first, I have enough plastic cable ties to go to Brents house and back to mine, second, I have a nice collection of castors, and third, and most important, when reaching into junk filled cartons, utility knife blades hurt. Alot. I had one jammed inside a castor, and when I grabbed the castor, I sliced open one of my fingers.

Its nice to have everything put somewhere, even if its not 100% sorted out, I now know where to find it.
Emptied a ton of drawers, nothing to put in them now.

Got my clamps in a better spot,they were behind bandsaw and always tuff to get them out, even able to hang up the 84 inch jets.

got the radio back up, but broke the alarm receiver on the door, so Im waiting for the alarm guy(my buddy) to come over and hook me up again.

Ill spend the rest of the day schlepping all the junk up on top, heaters, supplies, extra towels/rags, etc.....back down and tomorrow I will tackle the shed, and move everything into it in a neat and organized mess.

the hardware junk drawer shows all the junk stuff I cant let go of. I know one day Ill look for something and Ill have it.

my kids bought me this calculator last year as a joke gift, making fun of how I cant see anything small, but with some velcro tape its now in a great spot and easy to use and I never have to look for it.

Attachments

• cabinet 163 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 163 (Medium).jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 57
  • cabinet 164 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 164 (Medium).jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 56
  • cabinet 165 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 165 (Medium).jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 53
  • cabinet 167 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 167 (Medium).jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
its 60 degrees here today, total insanity. Its january 7th.
I made shelves in the shed, hung up all the outdoor tools out there, and Im going to stop rearranging stuff now.
I wanted all the mixed up boxes sorted, and thats done. I dont need any shelf space, so I dont have to empty whats in the shop now, and half the loft in the shop is completely empty, so Ill use it for shorts in the future.
By monday, Ill be back making sawdust.
The cooperating weather really helped me move along.

I hated having the dust collector hoses weaving under the table, blocking my walking area to the door, so I finally decided to dedicate a shop vac to the mitre. I purchased an Ivac(I think thats what its called) power box, so I hit the mitre, the shop vac goes on, delays 7 seconds, ok, no biggie, Im always way behind on this stuff.

Now, I dont care what anyone posts, I find it close to impossible to expect anything more than 70% dust collection at their mitre. If they build an elaborate hood(I finally figured out a design, but ofcourse, I dont have the space so I cant do it), with proper ducting underneath, gravity will get 90% of the dust into the collector.

I used what I had, and trust me, it isnt pretty, but its a little more effective.
I do mostly cross cuts, not many angles, so thats what I concentrated on.
I bent some sheet metal again, made the backboard larger, and enlarged the hole in the back of the mitre table.
Using the shop vac, the lines are only 1.5 inches wide. If a piece of wood shot into the hole, it would likely jam the vacuum.
I used some rebar, at least thats what I think it is, like chicken fence, but alot smaller holes, but perfect to prevent small pieces of wood from going in.
I couldnt find a 1 inch plastic y, so I used a T for now.
One line into the machine, as they intended at their narrow narrow dust port, the scoop under the machine.
Well, its not perfect, but Im going to have to settle for it until I can get a larger shop where I can make a much larger hood that goes well below the table so I can get better collection.
like I said, not pretty, but working.

I cannot get any pictures to upload. Im not sure whats happenning, but Ive uploaded hundreds of pictures here, I think something is wrong today.there is an exclamation point after I hit upload, and its stating uploading failed.

Attachments

• cabinet 242 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 242 (Medium).jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 25
  • cabinet 241 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 241 (Medium).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
"I used some rebar, at least thats what I think it is, like chicken fence, but alot smaller holes, but perfect to prevent small pieces of wood from going in."

It's whats call expanded metal.

I dream of a funnel shaped DC catcher with a high back side for behind the saw & with 4" gate at the bottom. Chips & dust shoot out against the high back & slide to the bottom & the rest just drops down & slides the the bottom.