Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Garage/shop rearrangement

You must have the coolest mailbox.

sent from my Atrix
    Rob .....Alias John Wayne now Pasquinell da trapper.

"forget the apples slap some bacon on a biscuit and lets go...

We're burning daylight"

theres reasons to stop storing things and sorting it all out-

Id guess around 3.5 to 4 years ago, before I ever used hardwoods, I purchased a pack of dewalt countersink bits with countersinks. A 3 pack.
    It was purchased from amazon along with a few other things.
    I remember going into the garage, putting them on my workbench and when I went out the next morning to use them, they were gone.
    I pulled out drawers, moved tables, checked trash, went through bins, never found them and it drove me batty for a week. Nothing dissappears like that.

I have 2 plastic bins filled with painting stuff. brushes, jars, putty knives, pans, just alot of stuff. And Ive been in the bin many times over the years for brushes and stuff.
    I had to load up the garage today with everything in my yard/driveway since no shed, and Im painting half the driveway tomorrow.(I hope)
    I was pushing in one cart, and knocked over 2 bins off the big cart I made, one of them was a painting supply bin. Seems the bits slid down the side of the bin, and underneath some old paper/plastic dropcloths I had still in plastic wrapper on the bottom of the bin. I dont know how the bits slid underneath them, but I found them today when the bin was upside down.

The shed cant come soon enough, Im going through everything before I set up shop this time.

my new boat arrived today

nah, not a boat, but the shed finally came here.

one hour 2 minutes for assembly

the 3 man crew arrived at 2:25, I said hello let me show you where its going.
    One of the guys ripped the plastic off the skid at 2:29, at 3:31 the crew chief was handing me the bill and paperwork and asked if I wanted the extra roofing shingles.
    Unpacked, assembled and yard cleaned in one hour 2 minutes.
    I dont think these guys spoke more than 4 sentences with each other,(when I brought out sodas they discussed who wanted what brand) they all seemed to know their task and it was non stop motion.
    It was quite a building experience for me, Ive never seen anything like it.
    Even my contractor and his man were impressed with the fluidity of motion *and quality of the product in the end.

When it was over, the building inspector came out to make sure everything was done up to her standards.

*the youngest one climbed up on the walls and nailed on the roofing boards, and before he triggered the last nail the other guy was handing him the next gun for the roofing nails, and within 15 seconds the other guy was back from the van with 4 coils of roofing nails just laying them up on the edge of the roof. No talking. All 3 were doing seperate tasks at once, handing each other pieces without speaking, like they knew the exact second the other guy was ready to be passed something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kitchen makeover 040 (Medium).jpg   kitchen makeover 041 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 08-02-2011 at 09:34 PM.

Looks like it will come in handy. Surprised they didn't make you attach it to the garage. Last time I was going to build a garage, I couldn't without tearing down the old shed first. The city had a limit on the number of out-buildings (1) you could have. My last housing edition had several sheds like that screwed to the back of their garages. The covenants said no out-buildings, but you could have an attached shed of built of like materials, so the guys were backing those right up to the house and attaching them with 1 or two screws to get around it.
    Darren

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. Robert Hughes (1938-2012), Australian art critic

Even faster than you? Now that's speedy!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I really enjoy watching a person (or people) do things in a smooth efficient way. Your post took my mind back to when they were building a JC Penny building with 8 x 8 x 16 cement blocks. Those workers were poetry in motion.

With a plaid mailbox like that, you will have to change your name to McTavish, McGreggor or Glendening (house of Glendowen).

Aside: Would you believe my Scottish wife (Glendening) absolutely hates bag-pipe music.

I'm glad you got the shed. I sure do enjoy mine and I know Glenn enjoys his. He has a posted list that says what is in every box and the location of the box. That way he does not have to hunt for anything.

Enjoy,

Jim
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 08-02-2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: add a sentance
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Looks like it will come in handy. Surprised they didn't make you attach it to the garage. Last time I was going to build a garage, I couldn't without tearing down the old shed first. The city had a limit on the number of out-buildings (1) you could have. My last housing edition had several sheds like that screwed to the back of their garages. The covenants said no out-buildings, but you could have an attached shed of built of like materials, so the guys were backing those right up to the house and attaching them with 1 or two screws to get around it.
    my local codes allow one shed if you have a garage also, and it must be 100 sf or less. Height is restricted to something like 8 feet or 8 feet one inch.
    2 sheds are not allowed,over 100 sf must get a CO, thats why when I built that small shed for my snow blower, I made it a dog house because there are no village codes for doghouse sizes.

Mr. Bradley, Ive seen pics of the inside of Glenns shed. Mine will never be that organized. Ever.

Good luck with the shed Allen. Boy they sure were fast and efficient.

I think there is merits in thinking about Glenns approach. Beats hauling everything out to find something each time.
    Rob .....Alias John Wayne now Pasquinell da trapper.

"forget the apples slap some bacon on a biscuit and lets go...

We're burning daylight"

Great looking shed
    So mote it be,