Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142 LastLast

Thread: Garage/shop rearrangement

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    I my wife suggested I get my pin nailer out of the garage and use that to drawer blood since Im having so much problems with the lancet things. She is funny.
    At least she picked the right tool. Using your saw stop would get expensive.

Hang in there my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by ken werner View Post
    At least she picked the right tool. Using your saw stop would get expensive.

Hang in there my friend.

So Mote It Be

one thing for sure, it is a pure pleasure to work in a lit up shop.
    Adding lights and putting up white walls have added alot of necessary brightness.
    Floor is easier for me to work on, no more bad high spots or cracked cement, and the open space is wonderful to move around without worrying constantly about a trip hazard.(I put in 3 hours today and made the silverware tray out of cherry as the first little thing I promised wife)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kitchen makeover 102 (Medium).jpg   kitchen makeover 105 (Medium).jpg  

Allen

That reminds me of my bench. Accept it has wooden legs.

Also if you don't have them lots of individual tool lights like the ones by my Drill-press & SCMS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Work center.jpg   SCMS2.jpg   RADP.jpg   A1 myshop 046.jpg  
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 09-07-2011 at 09:22 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

the bandsaw and drillpress come with attached work lights.
    Im not using 4 lights I have currently.
    Seems since I took out the loft and raised the lights a foot, it offers a much better field of light, and with the lighter walls, the place is bright.
    Later in the fall, I will be putting in white ceiling tiles also.

looks much nicer to work in allen,,bright and room to move
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

You gotta be enjoying your shop now. Knowing you dampened down the sound got nice clean smoother floors more light you gonna be even more productive when you able.

Congrats and enjoy. Just think January you might just be able to spend time out there. Door is sealed up so that cold New York wind wont be getting to you. Little heat and you will be away.
    Rob .....Alias John Wayne now Pasquinell da trapper.

"forget the apples slap some bacon on a biscuit and lets go...

We're burning daylight"

I hope so rob, I waxed my machines today and made a cutting board.
    Im done for the day, but tomorrow Ill start my sons shelving/backbar unit.

talk about bad luck..............
    I installed the insulation panels on the garage door. Everything was fine.
    And I trimmed the bottoms out so they didnt touch the floor.
    Then the rains came again, another round.
    The door strip I purchased works perfectly.
    Seems there is still some water getting in under the framework of the structure on the left side of the garage, and although 1/10 th of what water I had, it still seeps in and just hit the bottom edge of the insulation, so it soaked 3-4 inches of the bottom panel.
    I cut it off yesterday, but the extra weight the insulation, especially wet part, strained the capacitor that controls torque? of my overhead door opener, and today the door didnt work. Burned out capacitor. I had no clue what was wrong, other than Id press the button, nothing happenned except buzzing.
    I thought the motor was gone, but the unit is only a year or so old.

contacted my friend who does minor electrical work for me, he was on vacation. So I called his 87 y/o dad, probably the most talented electrician and all around work with your hands person Ive ever met, and sure enough, he figured it out. I kinda felt guilty watching him climb up the ladder to work on it, but he had the part at his home, fixed it and told me he will go get me new springs with 100 or 110 pd pull. My 70 lb springs are not enough to pull up the door with the added weight of the insulation.

Things like this, I dont have a clue, live and learn every day.

finished the cutting board today, didnt get to start anything new, driving back and forth.

I think we all can personally rate our own shops on how they work out for us.
    This was my first week actually doing some woodworking, (my level of woodworking), and I found my new arranged shop worked out how I planned.

I dont find a reason to have to put away every piece of hardware or accessory in a defined place right now.
    As I use something, I decide where its a comfortable fit for me, and then I put it there.Right now everything is hanging on one wall on top of each other, but I take out what I need as theres a call for it. this is working out great for me. Ive moved the levels, t-squares, and other assorted accessories this week and the new spots are more efficient and speeding up my time, or at least not wasting any.
    I finished three items this week. A cherry silverware tray for the kitchen, a cutting board I devoted a drop more time than usual to put thin stripes in and measure more carefully, and the top portion of my sons back bar area.
    Im still applying oil to the board and tomorrow will apply finish to the back bar top.

The gladiator floor feels ok, but Im not sure if its going to hold out with all these heavy machines moving on top of it over the years. Time will tell.
    I still have a slight water problem because the frame and the slab....same story, and it hasnt dried since we get rain every day almost, raining now.
    Eventually Ill seal it all up.
    Theres a few other tiny problems, like the position of the dust lines with the Sawstop, the lines fold up when I move the DC around and I need to get some better pieces of more flexible hose. The Sawstop can be used in place if Im cutting anything less than 6 feet long. when I do plywood or 8 footers, I have to move it back with the door closed(advantage of having an overhead door open, but that isnt going to happen anymore)
    I can joint anything less than 5 feet without moving the jointer, overhead door same thing, so I have to move that around but I dont build much over 5 feet long, and thats that.
    Planer is one wheels and easily rolls anywhere, no problems with that.

I think I found my solution, just a little more insulation and a few more boxes to sort out over time.
    Hope I didnt bore anyone to death with this thread.