Garage/shop rearrangement

I had an entire day today, but as of almost 4 pm, have not brought myself to go out there and do any cleanup work.
Woodshops are for working with wood, not trying to put away camping equipment and coolers so they dont interfere.
Im afraid I might abandon my desire to cleanup the cabinets and shelves, and upper deck and just go build another piece. Soon, like start tomorrow.

even though boxes of junk are still laying on the floor, I have a new major problem, and lathe coming in by this week or next.
My only two thoughts on giving it a permanent spot are either ripping out the big cabinet with the signs on it, and build a strong table and put the lathe against the back wall, having cabinets above will be good place to hold supplies I figure, but have to rip the big cabinet out.
Or, take down the folding mitre support table to the left of the slider, put the lathe up against that wall, the height would be close to where I need the mitre support, so Id put a small fold down shelf in front of a table Id build for the lathe, and fold out the left support shelf for the mitre when I need it.
Either way, I need to build a new bench if I want to leave the extended base on the 1220. Just not sure yet, because right now, its total chaos in there, and its becoming dangerous for me to work with all the machines out and nowhere to walk.(so its either righ in back of the bandsaw, take out the cabinet with the hands on it, or left of mitre saw.)

Attachments

• wood stuff 1308 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1308 (Medium).jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 138
  • wood stuff 1309 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1309 (Medium).jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 131
allen, you can always build a sturdy (and cheap) bench like i did, put it on casters, and mount your lathe on that. you can make the bench any height, width, and length you want.:thumb:

I thought about that Dan, its just that now everything is on wheels, I still have the placement problem.
Putting tools against the walls, just eliminates one thing I have to move when Im moving all the other tools around.
I have a basement of around 1500 square feet at my business that is dry and empty.
Im thinking about moving some of my wood pile into storage there, its around 45 minutes away. I can keep 50 bf of anything I have laying around, no need to keep 200 bf of something if Im not using it any time soon.
The only thing keeping me from doing this immediately, is the stairs.
Id have to go up and down stairs with each piece, and my vision and balance are compromised, so I have to think about this all a bit more. If I didnt have the wood piles, I could easily fit a few machines against the right wall without ever having to move them.
I know I could purchase let wood, but then I wouldnt get the right prices.

besides figuring out where to put all the extra pieces of scraps, plywood, and clean out the cabinets and sort out all the junk, the lathe has its own bench/table, I will not receive the bed extension for a while, Im not even sure if Im going to attach it and leave it on permanent, not yet at least, I put the grinder up on the bench for now, (will most likely be under table)
even put a light so I can see the work a bit better.
And ofcourse, I put a piece of the 2x4 to make sure the height seemed right.
I drew a piece of pink chalk line to measure my elbow bend, can always stand on a platform to do a bowl, if I choose too.
I believe the shop rearrangement as far as tools go, is done. The bandsaw and jointer will just be parked on side and moved as necessary. Drill press is on its own wheeling table and is against mitre extension and that can be moved easily also.Table saw only needs to be moved less than a foot if I have to get something big out or in, otherwise, I leave it in one spot in center.

the floor was very uneven back there, I had to cut shims and do alot of measuring and leveling to get it straight. I know I can adjust the lathe, but I wanted the surface to be level. The top of the work table is 2 sheets of 5/8th ply I had. I purchased 5 studs, 2 of which I didnt need, as I had enough laying around.All the screws I used, were screws from the cabinets I ripped out, or chairs or other outdoor furniture Ive discarded, but always keep the screws.I did purchase the light for 9.74, and 2 bulbs for 3.99 at the big store.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1363 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1363 (Medium).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 125
  • wood stuff 1366 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1366 (Medium).jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 122
  • wood stuff 1367 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1367 (Medium).jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 123
  • wood stuff 1368 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1368 (Medium).jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 127
Ive been getting aggressive with my shop reorg because I only have another 3 weeks and I have to close it down and get to work in my home.
I moved a ton of lumber and sorted through alot of it, and repiled in front, so I had an extra foot or so, to back the bandsaw and jointer up to open up the center of garage for space.(I pulled the jointer out to use it this morning, bandsaw is waiting for parts:()
After putting in the lathe, the air cart no longer had its spot, and it sat on the cart I made, 3rd picture,(took the plans from the internet, or at least the idea)where ever I have room, but I kept tripping over it, so I had to figure out something.
This is the third time I built something for the compressor, and I think the last.
I needed a cart that would just fit under my work bench, on wheels, to roll under when not in use or in use but its out of the way.
Problem was the width of the air compressor just made it, and I need a bit of wiggle room to get it in and out of spot.
So today I designed, a very rough design, but very, very functional, a cart with all scrap plywood(didnt even bother taking the pins or brads out of some pieces), It fits perfectly under table, it rolls easily, and I roughed out a handle so I can pull it or push it anywhere, I still have to sand the edges down, and sand a nice smooth handle area, but today has been a very long day for me, and Im done. Finito.Look at my cart, and its ok if you laugh, all lines are accessible, on/off switch is easy to reach, and its not going to be a space issue anymore. (the small router table will fit under the lathe bench now)

Attachments

• wood stuff 007 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 007 (Medium).jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 105
  • wood stuff 006 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 006 (Medium).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 108
  • wood stuff 005 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 005 (Medium).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 111
  • wood stuff 004 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 004 (Medium).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 110
  • wood stuff 003 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 003 (Medium).jpg
    63 KB · Views: 110
  • wood stuff 002 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 002 (Medium).jpg
    69 KB · Views: 113
  • wood stuff 001 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 001 (Medium).jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 111
Wow, look at all that space under the hose reel. You could almost keep nailers there, or boxes of brads, who knows ... What ever lands there will most likely catch some dust.
And you won't catch me laughing. Just look at the dust hood I made for the RAS. Sad thing is, it works great ...

DSC01729.jpg

Last edited:
theres going to be a box with a slide open top so I can keep as many supplies in there as possible.
Every inch counts:D

your dust hood makes perfect sense and it doesnt cost anything. a job well done.....maybe Ill try one over my mitre.

Hi Allen

Like your re org, one thought you might want to consider. Mount that hose reel up on the rafters. I got a similar but smaller hose reel from Grizzly and with it i can reach anywhere in my shop. Hung it up and out the way. Its retractable and when i am done just let it roll up out of the way. I still have my compressor on the floor in the corner, but that too is soon to get a shelf of its own up on the wall near the dust collector so it can go in the dust collector enclosure. Then its out the way and no cart.

To you this would mean that space for the cart becomes usable for something else.

By the way you really made me think about getting a bunch of wood. :thumb:

I was very close to putting the compressor and hose reel above me, where I have the storage, but I wanted to have it on wheels especially this winter since Im going to be doing work in the house, and will need it, this way I dont have to leave it inside, I can bring it out when Im done.
My only machine Id like to get now is a mortiser, and that doesnt need its own space, its light enough to be put away, so Im pretty close to finished.

last time, this time I have to get it right

I cant work when I cant find what I want.
I decided all the cabs in the garage are a waste of valuable space.
Theyre all coming out, rolling tool boxes and cabs that can be moved out of the way are coming in.
Wood storage is priority for me right now.
I cant stand having to move 29 boards to get to one board I want.
I decided to dump my wooden rack and just purchase heavy steel brackets and standards that attach to the studs.
Installation is simple, lag screws, and Im going to gain tons of storage space without the cabs so the wood will all be sorted and placed according to size and species.
Ill do some woodworking when the wood is away, then rebuild some work areas and some new ideas for tool storage and placement to utilize every square inch.
Its extremely important for me to eliminate clutter with my vision limitations.
Im going to get it right this time. Last time. I started piling white oak and ash 8 footers on the far end. I have to move some wood so I can work on the other side of the wall
My wife dragged me inside tonight around 9:15. I might have worked till midnight.

Attachments

• bed 291 (Medium).jpg
    bed 291 (Medium).jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 78
  • bed 292 (Medium).jpg
    bed 292 (Medium).jpg
    51 KB · Views: 78
  • bed 293 (Medium).jpg
    bed 293 (Medium).jpg
    81 KB · Views: 86
I'm with you Allen. I've got one end of my garage, er, shop, piled with wood. The rest of it has some very questionable shelving. I'm so tempted to just rip and move it all out and start over... Might even have to rent a dumpster at the same time and just toss a bunch of 'stuff' :thumb:

With all that wood you have no wonder you can crank out the projects as fast as you do! If possible try not to store similar looking woods next to each other.When you work in your shop for a while it's amazing what you find that you need to redo to make it more efficient. No matter how much time you spend planning it out theres nothing like real world experience.:wave:

Road Trip!!!

Okay guys, we need to band together and come on over to help Allen clear all that annoying wood out of his shop so he can get at his cabinets.... :rofl: