Garage/shop rearrangement

as of around 9 minutes ago, I now have 2 free open bedrooms.
We moved my son out today completely, tiki bar included.
I had to chop off the roof of the tiki bar since it was around 9 feet high.
Ill make a new smaller roof when he places it in his yard.

Vaughn, I live 14 minutes from Long Beach. Long Beach, Nassau county New York.

I spent a few hours this morning before working with my son and friends, and its starting to show how a little sorting out will make my life alot easier.
I wont be using alot of the ash for a while, and was amazed how much white oak I have.

Im getting in 200 bf in the next few weeks of Honduran mahogany.(Im not using it for any builds immediately, but if I dont buy when the opportunity arises, the prices out here are ridiculously insane)
I just always wonder exactly where the mahogany comes from when its called Honduran. Could be any central or south American country, and they probably call it Honduran.

almost home with the wood storage

the fed ex didnt show up till 5 tonight, but I got the last brackets up and started piling up wood
Im just about finished, a few pieces on my work bench, the cart has the wood I will be using for the current project.
A few times I wasnt sure if it was ash or white oak, and birch and maple were tough to tell apart, but the birch felt as if it weighed double the maple.
I have approx 200 bf of mahogany coming in within the next 2 weeks, and thats it. Most of my builds will now be white oak/ash. Ill throw maple in the mix also.
I have alot of thick maple on the other side above the mitre saw, IM going to leave it there until I finish the table and chairs and move on to work on the garage again.
My son had cleaned out the shed, or at least alot of the stuff he took with him, so I put alot of short boards, 2,3,4 footers in there and will be using alot of them for my next few builds.
I piled the 26 inch wide 13 footers of mahogany on the bottom(off the floor) under the ash since I wont be using them for a while and they are very heavy to lift up.

Attachments

• bed 301 (Medium).jpg
    bed 301 (Medium).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 69
  • bed 302 (Medium).jpg
    bed 302 (Medium).jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 69
  • bed 303 (Medium).jpg
    bed 303 (Medium).jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Holy moly!:eek: I need to find a wood guy like yours! With all this rearranging going on in the shop Allen you'll probably cut about 1/3 the time from your builds since you won't have to rearrange wood when you need it.:thumb:

Allen, you've got more lumber on your workbench than I have on my lumber rack. :rolleyes: Your shop remodel is looking good. :thumb:

not including the mahogany, I figured I averaged under 1.50 per board foot for everything else.
IF I had the room, Id take whatever he gives me for a buck a bf. Its not all the cleanest and there is some checking on some of the larger pieces, some splits, but after visiting local lumber yards I realized its a nice deal for me.
I have no use for basswood and alder, something he had alot of and asked me if I was interested.

what my wood guy didnt know is that the guy he told me to call for lumber, has a 500 bf minimum.:eek::eek::eek:
200 bf will last me the next 5 years, 500 bf is unreachable for me.
I called around, everyone around here, the cheapest I can find honduran mahogany is for 8.44 a bf. Thats over 2 bucks more a bf than I thought Id be paying, so Im putting it on hold.
Im hoping my wood guy needs to purchase some in the near future, and I asked him to tack on a couple hundred bf for me.

as I clean out the upper level, the deck in the garage, its amazing what Im finding back there. ACs, TVs, a full doctors scale, cookware, oil radiator heater, alot of old sheet metal duct work. This is why I have no room up there, all that junk. I dont even know where half of its from. Oh, theres a slot machine up there(not a real one, but its around 2 feet high), 4 foot long craps table, coolers, drafting table lamp.I got rid of my Sevelor raft years ago, maybe 5 years ago? I still have the motor mount and 2 take apart aluminum oars. If anyone is around LI and wants to pick up those oars or motor mount, be my guest. I could have a garage sale and make enough to buy some more woodworking stuff.

(my son now has the jvc tv that was up there)
And the bicycle that was there is now in the crawl space.

Last edited:
Allen, that just goes to show how it can be beneficial to move to a new house every decade or so. You can leave all your old junk behind as you inherit new junk from the previous owners of the next house. :p

Allen you have done a great job on the remodel. I still have not got to my lumber rack. Glad too because i see one real wake up call in your experience. The space the wood 2x4 racks take up turns into a lot of wasted space with each shelf. On yours it looked something like in total a foot of wall space. With the metal shelf supports that gets reduced quiet a bit making for more space for woodstorage.:thumb:

electrical problems solved

well, it only took 3 master electricians trying to explain to me how voltage vs amperage and how 120 vs 220 volt vs single phase, 3 phase, how it all was different, but I finally got a bit of a hold on it...and I FINALLY, got 220 service into the garage.:):):):)

there is no 3 phase available to 95% of the residential areas on LI I also found out, but I can put any machine in as long as the draw is max at about 20 amps on a 220 line, so Im sure I can get myself a nice sized hp motor on my new tablesaw.

its a relief, and a relief I understand about it all a bit now. Seems no matter what I read, I couldnt grasp it.

It ran me 350, and when I get a machine for a 220 line, the electrician said hell come back and put the outlet in whereever I place the machine(s)
Its not like theres much choice, but Im figuring off the roof beams in the center will make it most convenient.

The Final rearrangement, forever!

Now that Im retired and can devote time to helping my son with minor home improvements, and then spend time just building the furniture he, I, wifey, daughter, wants, I decided to make my garage fully suited to my own needs.

IM not saving any of the old wood I used for the work benches or the old cabinets.
Most of that wood has been recycled once, and has holes, chips, etc.
New plywood and 2x4s are not prohibitive costwise. IM not building any cabinets, just a series of rolling work tables, some fixed work tables, and some small racks eventually.
This is what I want to do, and will attempt to do over the next couple of months.
First, rip out everything, which Im working on right now, right down to the bare studs. Clean all old nails out of studs. Im finding tons of stuff hidden, so Im sorting it as I go along, and will leave alot of it in boxes and sort out during the winter months when its too cold to work outside.

Im going to build to the left of the mitre saw, a rolling work bench. It will be set at the height of the lathe. The lathe will be mounted on the back of the bench, facing the wall, the table will be on strong castors and will need to be pulled out and turned in order for me to work with lathe.
I will not add extension to lathe, but will make the table long enough to add extension whenever I need it. Extension will be stored underneath lathe on shelf.
The other side of the table, will have a simple, straight foward(rob keeble sent me pictures months ago) way to mount different table top tools when I need them.
Each tool, drill press, mortiser, and grinder will be mounted on plywood which will be slid into slot made opposite lathe side of table and I will have a secure spot where these three machines will mount. Now, this will be left of the mitre saw, so using the same mounting technique, I will build a ramp, with t track that secures into the same mounting place, but will be higher to meet the mitre saws height, and this will be used when using mitre saw. The mortiser and grinder will be stored underneath table top, they are light enough I can lift them when I use them, and then Ill just take the mitre arm /ramp off and lean it when not in use.
The drill press is a bit heavier, so it will just sit at the end of the work bench, further down from the lathe on wall side, and Ill slide it into mount when I need it.
I dont use the drill press often, but it will always be ready to use and if I dont need it mounted heavily, I can just clamp it to surface to make a hole or two.
I will move the mitre saw down to the left around 12 inches, and build the left lathe/machinery table just long enough that it doesnt impede the garage's walk in door.(without a seperate doorway, I believe they call it a coffin garage. I like to have the doorway for the winter months when I run my small heater and not have to open the overhead door)
I will then shorten the work bench I already have on the right of the mitre saw, build one just long enough to house the rolling cabinet underneath it, and then build a rolling workbench, close to 6 ft long, with a vise(I finally purchased a jorgenson 9 inch vise) that will go right of the rolling drawer cabinet, up to the back wall where the soon to be ripped out cabinets are.
I will also build a rolling table for the dewalt 735 planer and the new 22-44 coming in.
I will mount each one on a different end of the table. I purchased expensive 4 inch well built castors for these tables.No more 3 dollar cheapo castors than dont work properly under heavier loads.
Ill roll the planer/sander table against back wall, along with the Rolling tool chest(the red craftsman tool chest) and park the bandsaw along the back wall also when not in use.
My dust collection system will remain intact for now.
Eventually, I will drop a line again for the mitre saw, have an additional line for the new cabinet saw, and still run the one line into the center dropped down from ceiling for the planer, sander or bandsaw.(jointer just stays parked against the wood stack, uses same dropped dust line as planer)
Ive had very little success with dust collection with the drill press,mortiser and lathe, but I might just drop a line with a big scoop(I have 2 of them not in use) for the lathe, so Ill just buy some of that bendable flex hose(4 inch) and make a setup for the drill press or mortiser.
Eventually, Id like to move the dust collector outside the garage, for space and noise reasons, and into a small shed attached to the side of the garage. This will be tricky, so Im not doing it right yet. Nosy neighbor issues.Id rather just run the dust line right into his dryer duct line and let the fun begin, but this isnt the time or place for those issues. I actually like living next to the moron, because if he was like the guy across the street, who works nights, if hed ask me to keep it down a bit for some hours so he could sleep, Id have to oblige, but with the moron, I take pride in running my planer outside some days. Yes, I know I sound childish.

anyway, those are my plans, its a rather big undertaking, no furniture building for a while, and in between this all, Im still emptying out my old business, moving stuff, and will be assembling my new machinery, have no clue where Im putting the ridgid saw at this point. Maybe I can ask the moron next door if hed let me store it in his garage for a few weeks.

oh, on a very positive note today, my physician just called me, my sugar level dropped back down to 115, high, but not medication dependant yet, and said something about my hemoglobins/sugar levels have been steady so as long as I start to diet and make an attempt to excercise, I wont have to go on diabetes meds, But she wants me to go for another colonoscopy. Ok, so while Im cleaning out the garage, I guess Ill have to clean my garage out also. (bad joke)

Attachments

• cabinet 028 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 028 (Medium).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 77
  • cabinet 033 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 033 (Medium).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 75
  • cabinet 034 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 034 (Medium).jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 72