Garage/shop rearrangement

got the base built, I really couldnt think of any reason I needed anything fancy or complicated. Laminated 2x4 fir 3 thick and its pretty stable. Or as stable as anything gets on wheels.
I will probably add 2 cabinets underneath on top of the plywood bottom, keeping them low so I can have some clamping space underneath table.
It fits in its spot, I just have to get some masonite, attach a hardwood border to top and put the vise on. Maybe later next week.
I wanted to put that old file cabinet sitting there onto the wall, it has 24 drawers, but Im not sure it wont be in the way.
I still need to make a table for the planer and belt sander, after I finish this one.
IM getting closer.All the little things I want to build(example: small rack to hold planes, blade holder, etc..) I can build after I start working again on furniture projects, nothing is pressing except the tables so I can open up the space.

Attachments

• cabinet 117 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 117 (Medium).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 48
  • cabinet 119 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 119 (Medium).jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 44
  • cabinet 120 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 120 (Medium).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I did the same method as in that video.
I spaced the sections evenly, and after the first section, I used glue and toenailed the pieces in. Put a few into my thumb, but thats par for the course.
Seems they shoot in straight but sometimes come out anyplace they want.
I took the small block plane I have and shaved any high spots where some of the mdf pieces might have lifted a tiny bit after it was all dry. REally wasnt much, maybe 4 or 5 pieces out of 50, and then only a tiny shave needed.
I also put some plywood into some squares at the end and center so I can mount the vise easy enough with lag screws and attach the base with a few screws.

Nice job there Allen. Whats the latest on the Saw Stop. This mans getting excited to see it.:D

Just looking at the garage, you planning on putting something like Osb or ply on the walls over those bare studs. Would make it nice to hang things on the wall or to be able to put up some shelves.

How about insulation?

Coming along great:thumb:

Nice job there Allen. Whats the latest on the Saw Stop. This mans getting excited to see it.:D

Just looking at the garage, you planning on putting something like Osb or ply on the walls over those bare studs. Would make it nice to hang things on the wall or to be able to put up some shelves.

How about insulation?

Coming along great:thumb:
I agree insualation and OSB would make a big differance.

Allen, I have 2 nephews who live on LI if you need help let me know I can always con em into being good guys

insulation isnt a thought on my mind right now.
I like the exposed studs. These are real 2x4s, not 1.5x3.5. This garage was built in 1940s, or late 30s, and was lifted onto a truck and brought to this property in 1952 or 53 when the house was first for sale. I have pictures somewhere of the garage sitting in Long Beach NY, off the water, then it being moved by truck here.
Theres a St. Christophers medallion hanging in back of the wood pile, I never took it down, just didnt want bad vibes coming my way.
The original owner had half inch wood between the studs, must have had 250 shelves. I took them all down, and now I find myself putting alot of them back up for storage reasons.
One day I might insulate, just the thought of moving all that wood is something I cant think off right now. Maybe next year, when I knock the wood pile down a bit, Ill get some help and close it all up nice and warm.

rob, the sawstop and 22-44 have been ordered. I expect to hear from him next week, and Im almost ready to take them in and set them up.I have the cast iron MLCS router table extension for the sawstop, thats here already, and Im installing a PC7518 under the table, that I pick up when he delivers the sawstop.
I just need to get my son here to help me, and his time is tight with work and all, but Ill get it done.Gonna miss my Ridgid, it served me well.

I got the alarm guy comeing over tomorrow and monday to set up all the alarms, figured its time now.

Looking great Allen!:thumb::thumb: I have been thinking about redoing some of my shop since I started redoing my kitchen and this thread got me to think about it even more lately. I really like the brown rolling cabinet. There are times I need a place to put the wood that I'm working on and it ends up on the outfeed table of the tablesaw. If I did something like your roll around storage cabinet I can have additional bench space if needed.:wave:

table top space is what its all about for me in my limited work space.
Ive got room, but the machines use up so much of the floor space, that I find myself forced to work outside if I want to do a separate task or different step of an assembly.
Most of the time, I dont need a large table, just a place to hold a couple of doors I have clamped, and a 3 or 4 foot table is perfect, then I can move on to the next step, and then even a third step.
Once I have the table built for the planer and sander, I will be able to move further along to different projects at once and speed up my build times. I hate wasting time moving things here and there, then back, then back to there again, and moving things in and out of the garage every time I want to do one small thing.
Now I have approx 50-60 odd sized pieces of plywood and sheets goods.
This is a new problem since I have to lean it all or move it out of the way each time I need something, so Im thinking maybe another drywall cart if I can score one for 40 or 50 bucks. I can slide them in and out of the garage in seconds, and they hold alot of sheet goods.

My next thoughts and question: Where to you people keep you power hand tools?
Do you just throw them in drawers, shelves, keep them in certain sections?
I have about 15 handheld power tools, more coming in, Im not sure if I just want to line them up on shelves.....anyone show me some ideas?

I liberated a Smart Label Printer I used to use for barcode printing, so it will make great labels for my drawers and cabinets once I get my son to hook it up to my computer.

please pop in some ideas today or tomorrow, Im having therapy today and the next 2 days so Im down and wont be doing any work, a good time for me to draw up plans or think things out for the next few steps.

Last edited:
Allen, I am going for drawers for most larger hand held tools. Trying to keep dust from getting into them. Smaller ones, like drills and the like are hung on pegboard, behind simple doors.

I headed over to BigNY build it green and picked up some 1/4 inch clear lucite.
Im going to make narrow cabinets to hold all my power tools and want clear doors so I can see everything and where its all stored.
Its a place that salvages everything, and I knew their lucite would be fairly inexpensive when compared to buying a piece new.

My next thoughts and question: Where to you people keep you power hand tools?
Do you just throw them in drawers, shelves, keep them in certain sections?
I have about 15 handheld power tools, more coming in, Im not sure if I just want to line them up on shelves.....anyone show me some ideas?

I like them out in the open so they can be grabbed easily. Hooks, shelves, just hanging. I don't like keeping anything that has a high frequency of use, hidden.

Most of my hand power tools are in a cabinet behind drawers, but the cordless drills (the only ones I use very often) are sitting on a bench next to the chargers, ready to go.

circ saw, sanders, scroll saw are on shelfs under the planer where I can get at em quickly. Right angle grinder, corded drill and other less used tools are in drawers under the lath. I got a good deal on a wide 2 drawer file cabinet that is perfect for my little Rikon.

Small shop open shelves. Why?

Many times I have to lean plywood or other items against the cabinet with no doors I can lean the plywood forward & reach behind it to get what I need. With doors I would have to move the plywood then open the door get the tool or other item then close the door & move the plywood back.

Attachments

• A1 myshop 030.jpg
    A1 myshop 030.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 35
I decided to go with clear lucite doors simply because I can see the tools, and keep them from getting full of dust that doesnt have to accumulate on/in them when they arent in use.
I purchased approx 9-10 sq feet and I was charged 12 dollars.
The tools wont be anywhere where Id need to block them with plywood.
I intend on putting them on the far left side behind the rolling work bench.
Accessable when I need them at the bench,and an arms length away when Im working in the middle of the floor.
I only have a dozen or so hand power tools*, so Ill probably store my few hand planes in there as well.
I like having my hand tools(screwdrivers, plyers, etc) right underneath my main work bench, but having that craftsman rolling tool cabinet, keeps them all in one place and I can live with reaching over or walking a few steps for tools needed at the bench.
There are enough drawers in the 3 stacked chest, plus I had purchased another 4 draw box that I put in bottom section of stack, so I can keep every hand tool I have in that box.
The only thing left for me to do after that is figure out where IM putting my lathe chisels, but IM working on that also.

*about handheld power tools-I always kept them in cabinets or on shelves, and Im sick of cords getting tangled, dinging my knuckles on the belt sander when Im reaching for the orbital, so Im going to give them all enough room, now that Im a bit more organized, I can afford a bit more space for tool storage.
Ive already cut down the boxes of junk Ive had from around 15 to 6.And adding 16 drawers right away under the mitre saw instead of just parking the planer there, opens up so much more storage for bits and parts, etc.
IM really tired of tripping over things, and now I think I can eliminate that with proper storage and placement of everything.

Last edited: