Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: out right vent

out right vent

This morning on the way to work I get a call from the shop that a customer came into pick up his wood swing bench. Jarrod stripped it yesterday down to the wood and the bench had latex paint on it which will stain the wood. I stripped this bench for 150 and this XXXXXXXX came in and said it's not ready to paint. I told him that you need to sand the bench to prep for painting, you wanted stripping nothing else. He said I didn't know sanding would or prep was not involved. Are people that dum?

Not dumb. Uninformed.

just tell him that for another 150 you wil paint it for him what color would he like...
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I told him he was the 1st person in my 30 years that did not understand the difference. I then explained how he should go about the prep process. He then handed me a check and I handed it back and told him cash only. He pulled out the cash. At this point I had not trust in the man. After the years I have in the busness you learn a few things.

Seems the problem here is that two fellows ASSUMED information. He Assumed it would be prepped and you Assumed he knew it was not.

So who was wrong? He who Assumes makes an FOOL out of U & me

So, Lesson should be learned buy both, be specific in what you want as well as specific in what you provide or include.

IMHO both were in error, and the true fault is in getting upset over a learning situation. No matter how many years (30) in service, there is always room for learning situations... The "DUM" (Dumb) one here is the one who doesn't learn for the situation.
    Last edited by larry merlau; 07-19-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: asked and didnt happen so fixed:)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    Seems the problem here is that two fellows ASSUMED information. He Assumed it would be prepped and you Assumed he knew it was not.

So who was wrong? He who Assumes makes an FOOL out of U & me

So, Lesson should be learned buy both, be specific in what you want as well as specific in what you provide or include.

IMHO both were in error, and the true fault is in getting upset over a learning situation. No matter how many years (30) in service, there is always room for learning situations... The "DUM" (Dumb) one here is the one who doesn't learn for the situation.
    Bill, I gotta disagree with everything you just said!

If the customer wanted the thing sanded and prepped, he shoulda said so up front - not taken it for granted. I'm sure his W/O said something like "Strip Bench" not "Strip, sand, and prep." For quality work, I can't even imagine expecting all that for just $150.

Dave has learned and run his business for over thirty years. If this was truly a 'first time event,' then where do you think the learning was needed? Certainly not on Dave's part!

Sometimes, a 'stupidity surcharge' is warranted...
    Last edited by larry merlau; 07-19-2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: fixed quote..
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I have to agree with you both Bill and Jim. I did assume which but lead too. But then again I work under the assumption that when I asked him if he wanted us to finish the bench and he said no just strip I figured he understood the process since he brought it to me after he started to strip it and could not handle the job himself and he said he was going to finish it. Their are not many out there that would undertake this job with absolutely no experience but I guess there must be some after this guy.
    We are learning all the time. I learned to put in a contract the process which my customers are paying for and his was for Stripping.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Thats why I either do the whole job or nothing. I will either completely refinish the piece or not do the job. When I first started doing this full time I had a lady who had a table that need the top panels glued back together. The hide glue had let go when the panels shrunk. I told her that I would need to stip and refinish the table in order to do the job correctly. She wanted to save some moneyso she said to only do the top, don't do the legs. I told her that I would garantee that I could get an exact meacth on thcolor. If I didn't do the entire piece. She said will get it as close to it as you can. When I delivered the piece she complained that the top didn't match the legs...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Don, that is sometime a trick a customer will pull to get some money knocked off. I dwelt with that one years ago.

Unfortunately I have found some folks hear or expect what they want to. Even if you over emphasize the details to a painful level. Sorry that happened.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke