out right vent

This morning on the way to work I get a call from the shop that a customer came into pick up his wood swing bench. Jarrod stripped it yesterday down to the wood and the bench had latex paint on it which will stain the wood. I stripped this bench for 150 and this XXXXXXXX came in and said it's not ready to paint. I told him that you need to sand the bench to prep for painting, you wanted stripping nothing else. He said I didn't know sanding would or prep was not involved. Are people that dum?

I told him he was the 1st person in my 30 years that did not understand the difference. I then explained how he should go about the prep process. He then handed me a check and I handed it back and told him cash only. He pulled out the cash. At this point I had not trust in the man. After the years I have in the busness you learn a few things.

Seems the problem here is that two fellows ASSUMED information. He Assumed it would be prepped and you Assumed he knew it was not.

So who was wrong? He who Assumes makes an FOOL out of U & me

So, Lesson should be learned buy both, be specific in what you want as well as specific in what you provide or include.

IMHO both were in error, and the true fault is in getting upset over a learning situation. No matter how many years (30) in service, there is always room for learning situations... The "DUM" (Dumb) one here is the one who doesn't learn for the situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems the problem here is that two fellows ASSUMED information. He Assumed it would be prepped and you Assumed he knew it was not.

So who was wrong? He who Assumes makes an FOOL out of U & me

So, Lesson should be learned buy both, be specific in what you want as well as specific in what you provide or include.

IMHO both were in error, and the true fault is in getting upset over a learning situation. No matter how many years (30) in service, there is always room for learning situations... The "DUM" (Dumb) one here is the one who doesn't learn for the situation.

Bill, I gotta disagree with everything you just said!

If the customer wanted the thing sanded and prepped, he shoulda said so up front - not taken it for granted. I'm sure his W/O said something like "Strip Bench" not "Strip, sand, and prep." For quality work, I can't even imagine expecting all that for just $150.

Dave has learned and run his business for over thirty years. If this was truly a 'first time event,' then where do you think the learning was needed? Certainly not on Dave's part!

Sometimes, a 'stupidity surcharge' is warranted...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with you both Bill and Jim. I did assume which but lead too. But then again I work under the assumption that when I asked him if he wanted us to finish the bench and he said no just strip I figured he understood the process since he brought it to me after he started to strip it and could not handle the job himself and he said he was going to finish it. Their are not many out there that would undertake this job with absolutely no experience but I guess there must be some after this guy.
We are learning all the time. I learned to put in a contract the process which my customers are paying for and his was for Stripping.

Thats why I either do the whole job or nothing. I will either completely refinish the piece or not do the job. When I first started doing this full time I had a lady who had a table that need the top panels glued back together. The hide glue had let go when the panels shrunk. I told her that I would need to stip and refinish the table in order to do the job correctly. She wanted to save some moneyso she said to only do the top, don't do the legs. I told her that I would garantee that I could get an exact meacth on thcolor. If I didn't do the entire piece. She said will get it as close to it as you can. When I delivered the piece she complained that the top didn't match the legs...:dunno:

Unfortunately I have found some folks hear or expect what they want to. Even if you over emphasize the details to a painful level. Sorry that happened.

Unfortunately I have found some folks hear or expect what they want to. Even if you over emphasize the details to a painful level. Sorry that happened.

i agree on the explaining sometimes,, some just are looking to cause trouble.. but in the future perhaps the definition of stripping and your other processes can be either printed on the job order that he signs or on your wall so all can see..and bring it to there attention.:thumb:

Good idea Larry. I've never put my process on the estimate forum and that would help explain the charges.
Thanks
new to my contract. I'm not a lawyer so if I can state this clearer I would appreciate the re-wording.
Charges will be for the following , stripping charge, sanding and repair preparations charge,
There are individual charges for fabrications, turning spindles, making legs exc.
Coloring charge, sealing charge and clear coat charge. Each is an individual process and will be
Calculated into the price accordingly.

Last edited:
Bill, I gotta disagree with everything you just said!

If the customer wanted the thing sanded and prepped, he shoulda said so up front - not taken it for granted. I'm sure his W/O said something like "Strip Bench" not "Strip, sand, and prep." For quality work, I can't even imagine expecting all that for just $150.

Dave has learned and run his business for over thirty years. If this was truly a 'first time event,' then where do you think the learning was needed? Certainly not on Dave's part!

Sometimes, a 'stupidity surcharge' is warranted...

I disagree with your disagree-ance.... Where does it say that when you reach 30 years at the game, you stop learning? "If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention..." I read that somewhere and has been something I go by constantly. (sombody smarter than I said that)

We don't know the specifics of the W/O so here we go making an Assumption. The facts are that Dave & the coustomer were not on the same page with the expected outcome or final step. Unless the customer was trying to backpedal for a price reduction, but we don't know that... We have to Assume (here we go again) that everybody involved was on the up & up.

Just that Dave and others need to be reminded that when dealing with some people, specifics must be discussed. Even if it is once in 30 years. Not everyone is as perfect as we are...:)

I have found that its best to treat everyone the same. So I think he is on the right track making a sheet with all work accounted for to present as a bid sheet for getting the job. Doing this for every job will support him in court should he ever need to go that far.

The LOML & I work in the Rural Housing system & we treat everyone the same it is a system we use every day. Yes we've had to go to court & because we use the system of treating everyone the same the few times we've had to go to court we've not lost a case.

When you make out your paper work & present it to the customer read it to them & ask if they understand it if not explain it to them. Do this with every one. It works.

Last edited:
I've been to court 2 times in my carrier 1 was a draw and one I out right walked away with the discussion. I do treat everyone the same and that's what has keeped me so busy besides the fact I don't take any money till the job is complete and a good reputations. One of the better attributes I have said the guy at the DOE down town how said we will not use anyone else.

I like the old saying
"Be patient with me the Lord is not done with me yet"