Buffalo Forge DP

Ok, so I can finally gloat properly now that I found the camera cable.

A couple months ago I purchased a DP, a Buffalo No. 16. It has a full 6" quill stroke, and a sliding head. That's right, the whole quill assembly slides up and down effortlessly! It is connected by a chain to a counterweight that's in the column. (The last picture shows the head slid down.) It has a 2 hp Dayton motor, and it's the perfect machine for what I need it to do, that is, bore out huge hollow vessels with a 3" diameter forstner bit. But it's also great for down the road when I get into furniture making again.

Hutch

P.S. The shop is a complete mess cuz I have been busy installing the ceiling joists and lighting.

Attachments

• DP 1.jpg
    DP 1.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 68
  • DP 2.jpg
    DP 2.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 58
  • DP 3.jpg
    DP 3.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 57
  • DP Head Down.jpg
    DP Head Down.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 62
That's a beauty Matt! The 6" stroke will come in really handy. I've got a really old floor standing unit that has a weight in the column as well. Great feature - too bad they still don't do that.

Enjoy the new find!
Wes

I never knew....

Actually, before I bought this machine, I didn't even know they came with a sliding head feature. It's interesting that manufacturers went completely with the rack and pinion table adjustment, rather than combining that with the sliding head.

Hutch

Matt, your shop is coming together nicely....hope your venture moves on to the next stage, a busy and profitable one. :D

Nice DP. What i'm most jealous of though, is your shop space. I'm in the basement with scant daylight, low ceilings, and a broken up concrete floor.
My Dad and i pulled an 1890's Buffalo 15" DP out of an old maintenance shop (we're the 2nd owners). It's an old camelback flat belt drive - a true workhorse. The 6" quill travel is really nice to have. Yours looks like it's had a nice life. Did you rebuild it? The paint looks new.
Have fun with it.
Paul Hubbman

Thanks!

Yeah, the shop is starting to come together, and I am very excited about it. :)

The DP is in pretty good shape. There are a couple minor issues though. There is a little hitch in the recoil of the quill. I don't know if this just the spring or if there is uneven wear or what. And a few bearings should be replaced, but they aren't to the point where they produce a sloppy cut.

As for rebuilding it, this is how I purchased it. The previous owner didn't exactly know what he was doing when refurbing it. He used an angle grinder to remove the paint, so the castings have a slightly faceted surface as a result. And there was some overspray on moving parts that I had to remove. He probably thought the paint job would help it sell.

In any case, I am very happy, especially since I have a very high quality Jacobs chuck on it.

Hutch

P.S. There was an old lineshaft camel back (not sure if it was Buffalo Forge or not) that I had been looking at, but it was too far away to get here. Plus the footprint was huge. I do love these old machines!

Last edited: