Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Altar V 3.0 aproved version

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Altar V 3.0 aproved version

Here is another version that is 72x36x36
    I wonder if it needs an apron ?
    I did attach the skp file but if anyone wants it let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails alter 2.jpg  
    Last edited by Don Baer; 07-23-2009 at 03:09 PM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Here it is with a 3" top instead of a 3 " top
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails alter 2A.jpg  
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

and here's V 2 w/ an apron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails alter 2 w  Apron.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just my opinion of course, but I liked the original style much better. This one to me just looks Too Busy, ie; too much wood and it kills the style.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Hitt View Post
    Just my opinion of course, but I liked the original style much better. This one to me just looks Too Busy, ie; too much wood and it kills the style.
    I Have to agree with Norman. I liked the first one, especially after the alignment of the legs and top support and the addition of the through mortise on the stretcher.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Have to agree- I think the first one was nicer, although I think this one is sturdier/less prone to racking.

Another vote for V1.0 The legs / feet on v2.0 are way to bulky in my opinion.

Tony

Tony, BCE '75

He told me that he wanted to see something with the bottom closed and with the bottom open. He said that he personaly like to have the bottom closed in. That reason for this design.

This version takes elements the legs from ver 1 and combines it with the other eleminates from V 2.0
    I'll call it V2.11.
    PS I hope I'm not boreing you all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Altar 2 B.jpg  

Don, I like how the negative space on the side panels evokes a cross. (well two, actually)

I wonder if the middle panel under the table would also look better with some sort of cutout in it. Either separate it into two panels with a cross, like on the side panels. Or just cut out some other symbol -- dove, etc.
    That would also lighten it up a touch also.

...art
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood