altar idea for don

Dan Noren

Staff member
this is the idea that i was thinking of earlier don, for better or worse, here it is, have at it, and i hope it provides inspiration. :thumb:

Attachments

• altar idea.jpg
    altar idea.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 29
  • altar idea.skp
    34.6 KB · Views: 1
Hey, not bad Dan. I like the things on the top of the legs. Just a thought- what if you dropped the things on the bottom of the legs and put the chamfer on the bottom of the table top instead of the top?

here it is with your modifications charlie
I like flipping the top. I think adding a round over to the bottom (feet) of the legs and reducing the number of corbels to just the outsides of the legs (8 total) might be worth a try. Not sure yet about losing the stretcher.:huh:

altar idea mk3 & 4

in mk 3, i took off half the corbels, but kept the stretcher and feet for structural stablility. in mk 4, i took off all the corbels, and kept the stretcher and feet. the mk 4 has a cleaner, more massive look, without looking heavy.

mk3 and mk4 pics

sorry about that, here are the pics

Attachments

• altar idea mk4.skp
    34.9 KB · Views: 0
  • altar idea mk4.jpg
    altar idea mk4.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 8
  • altar idea mk3.skp
    35.8 KB · Views: 1
  • altar idea mk3.jpg
    altar idea mk3.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 9
ok dan,, turn the stretcher 90 degrees, its looks like a foot stool tome the way it is now and add the other corbels like rennie said what i mean is the stretcher is gonna get step on or sat on,, turn it edge ways and put a bottom rail in some how to connect to the alter or make two small stretchers but yu need a stretcher,, jist me thouts

Hi Don.
While I'm not familiar with the mission style furniture or similar ones, so I would not go into suggesting a specific design for that altar, but one of the things that I would bear in mind when designing it is what part of it is going to be visible at the church. Is it going to be covered with a cloth that will reveal only the feet? Is it going to have a stripe of cloth from side to side and leave the front completely exposed?

If the top is going to be somehow covered or hidden maybe you should think about giving the legs and feet some design feature that would give them interest.

Another thing I would bear in mind is, does the priest want that the people can see his feet and trousers while at it.?
I remember attendind a service where the whispered comments from the people on the first row were how short were the priest trousers and that was wearing socks from different pairs, one brown and one black.:)

My two cents.

Another thing I would bear in mind is, does the priest want that the people can see his feet and trousers while at it.?
I remember attendind a service where the whispered comments from the people on the first row were how short were the priest trousers and that was wearing socks from different pairs, one brown and one black.:)

My two cents.
If Vaughn were building this I'd say, "Don't worry" because the priest probably wears shorts and Birkenstocks.:rofl::rofl:

I don't know what they wear in AZ.:D