Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Wear a Face Shield?

Do You Wear a Face Shield?

Borrowed from another forum, where it was borrowed from another forum. (Thanks, Ron.)

Man Killed in Lathe Accident:

http://www.flamboroughreview.com/news/article/267516

Be careful out there, sports fans.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I wear a face shield when I am turning bowls, platters and while roughing down stock for boxes.

I was in a class when a guy had a segmented urn fly off the lathe (he had not tightened the chuck) and hit him in the forehead. When he awoke he had several stitches and was not in the mood for much more turning that week.

You just never know. I probably should wear a face shield while turning boxes but I don't except during the roughing process.

I think it is a lot less painful to be thankful that you were wearing the faceshield than it is to be regretful that you were not wearing one when something does happen.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

Sorry Vaughn I read the story a couple of times. Where in there did it say that the man was not wearing a face sheild? Maybe he was and that was a contributing factor to the accident and his death. Maybe he had just lifted it up to see a fine detail of work as it was covered in dust from all his sanding. Maybe he should have been wearing a hard hat with side impact protection?
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Sometimes. When doing larger pieces and when starting a rough piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    Sorry Vaughn I read the story a couple of times. Where in there did it say that the man was not wearing a face sheild?...
    Good point Drew. People still get hurt by their lathes when wearing face protection, but the shield sure does reduce the potential for serious injury.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I wear the Triton Powered respirator when I'm doing any roughing or anything on big stuff, or out of round stuff. It is a hardhat face shield combo, and the clean air is a nice thing too.

When I'm working on smaller things, or finishing a bowl, no, not usually, I have my safety glasses on when I get into the Dungeon, they seldom come off, usually only to change them as they fog up (I have about 4 or 5 pair down there).

I know you cannot "Duck" the pieces, no one is that fast, but I do stand out of the way when I can, and I try my best to not do anything stupid.

Still, bad things do happen to good people, and that would certainly be a lousy way to die.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Do you wear a face shield

I have noticed repliies that folks don't wear shields when turning small items.Think about this,usually when your turning small items you have the lathe running at a much higher speed.Well if you have a small piece turning at,say 2000 plus RPM's and it breaks apart,you have a bunch of shrapnel coming at you at probably a hundred MPH.Please folks,WEAR EM.I hate to read about these things when they are so preventable.Like said,it only takes one time.

My trend hangs by the door. If I go in the shop to turn it goes on. After seeing the neighbor who had a HF come apart while turning about a year ago with no face shield on and he was not in what I would call the line of fire. He had 23 stitches in his nose and forehead. Mine goes on when I go in and comes off when I walk out.

Needless to say he does wear it now. He said he had two choices. Either wear the face shield or be killed by his wife.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Generally I do wear mine since I got that Bioguard (or what ever its called) shield. Fully adjustable to fit properly and does not cause any distortion. Replacable shield and does a great job. I finally got the chance to turn yesterday and did not put it on for some reason. Thought about that fact when a pretty nice piece came off the chuck when I was turning off the tennon. I was pretty well done by then so I just left it off. But I do feel so much more comfortable and know I am safer when it is on my head, not the peg.
    Working flat so I can play round,
    Doug Miller

Repentance Is The
    Prerequisite For
    Gods Forgiveness

I wear the Uvex Bionic shield when I am roughing large or out of balance pieces and I always were safety glasses.

Not knowing what happened but there can be so many contributing factors. For me I use the tail stock with live center as long as I can. I use appropriate speeds for the diameter of the piece and always try to stand out of the line of fire if something did happen.

Every power tool has the potential to be deadly. We all assume risk when we turn on any machine. The key is we accept those risk and take precautions that mitigate those risk best we see fit.

Alan