Spalted Maple Bowl

Well Larry here ya go. Here is the bowl I made out of the big chuck of wood you sent. It was a little dicey at the end. It had some punky wood in it and was getting a little hard to turn. So I took some brushing lacquer and mineral spirits 50/50 and soaked it. I let it dry overnight. I finished it up and left the walls a little thick but I think it came out just fine. I did have one place where the soft wood flew out about a 1" round. I put a piece of blue masking tape inside and filled it with sanding dust and CA. 8" across and 4" high. Finished with brushing lacquer. Thank you Larry.

Attachments

• Spalted Maple Bowl 4.jpg
    Spalted Maple Bowl 4.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 61
  • Spalted Maple Bowl 5.jpg
    Spalted Maple Bowl 5.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Spalted Maple Bowl 6.jpg
    Spalted Maple Bowl 6.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 49
hey i am sorry for the low quality bernie, i was going on what i was told by another turner..as for the quality of it. if you need a replacement holler and i can send yu a box....drop me pm. but your bowl looks nice to me even if it is thick sided,,hey jeff makes his twice that thick and has folks buy them:)

Thanks guys. Larry the wood was fine except for a few soft spots. Nothing a little lacquer/thinner couldn't fix. The wife loves it and doubt it will go anywhere. Thanks again my friend.

Hey Larry the is no such thing as a raw deal when someone like you is willing to beautiful wood like that. I understand Larry as I am just a good ole down home farm boy. Thanks again. I truly appreciate your generosity.

I missed this earlier, Bernie. Great-looking bowl, and that diseased wood ain't bad, either. :D Awful nice of Larry to keep that piece out of the firewood pile.

Thanks again. Yep this bowl will stay with me. Jeff I normally like thinner bowls but I didn't want to take any chances. Came out pretty well.

Bernie, that is a beautiful bowl... I have a large 11 x 6 inch bowl from spalted maple that is on prominent display in my booth... it gets lots and lots of attention.. haven't sold it yet, but almost everyone will touch and fondle it when they come by the booth.

I tend to keep most of my bowls a little thicker... usually don't have a lot of luck getting nice thin walls yet... and with most of my spalted maple, I almost always have at least one area that is getting fairly punky, so like you, don't take chances with it... I had a big cherry bowl blow up and a piece hit me in the chest... left a mark and hurt like the dickens...

Nice wood, nice bowl, home run I think :thumb:

I used to make a bunch of thin bowls, but I got "Convinced" that I should make things thicker, seems someone (my lovely wife :rolleyes: ) was not using the bowls, as she was worried that if one got dropped, it would shatter into a thousand pieces...... :eek:

I took the hint, and now seldom ever turn anything under 1/2" thick, usually thicker if it is meant to be used.

Cheers!

Spaulted Maple Bowl

I think that is a fantastic piece,beautifull. :thumb::thumb:
Just a note,when I 1st started turning,it seemed thin was in ,or so I thought, :dunno: but since found out it just don't matter.I sell em all :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Spaulted Maple Bowl

Bernie I set up at WCU every yr and thats what the folks there seem to like best,they buy them to use an are afraid the thin ones will break. :)