Delta Double Duty Lathe No 952???

I think I have a No 952 sort of lathe:

Here is the lathe I got with some of the extras.
DoubleDutylabel.jpg
Delta930overall.jpg

Another view

Delta930overall2.jpg

This shows the weird pulley arrangement. In the Delta Catalog they show the No952 Eight speed with a Countershaft set below on a low shelf of the table but this has the motor and countershaft mid height of the table and then two sets of pulleys stick out the side
endView.jpg

I also have to figure out how to remove this rusted in MT2 piece. I have tried using some oil and WD-40 and hammering thru the outboard end but to no avail.
Tailstock.jpg
By the way the pic is named incorrectly, it is of course the headstock.

If you look to the upper left behind the pulley you can see the countershft pulley.

EndCloseup.jpg

Tailstock has some rust on the collar that mars the graduations.
tailstock2.jpg

This nut is 1 1/4" over a long collar, I don't have a wrench big enough to even try to remove it.
Outboard&Pulley.jpg

I came with the machinist sliderest setup, I will remove and derust and also put the wood tool rest on.
SlideRest.jpg

This shows the two tool rests and I think what is called the banjo???
tool_rests_banjo2.jpg

Three questions immediately, and I'm sure many more down the road.
How do I remove the rust from the lathe bed. I did get Evaporust from HF but don't have a 60 inch pan to soak the tool rest in, Evaporust says wet paper towels but does anybody have other thoughts?

With five pulley setup how do I attach belts and where to where?

For changing the speeds how do you loosen up the belts to shift them to another sheave?

Any thoughts comments greatly appreciated. I have never tried anything like this before and this old guy could use some advice.

Except for the, elbow grease, intensive derusting job you have, it should serve well. And, you go a lot of goodies to go with it. :thumb:
As for the MT in the head, I suggest you remove the head, tip up (spindle down), fill with penetrating oil and let set for a day or more then try pounding out.

Bill

I was looking at your jack shaft system. I see 2 step pulleys it looks like 1 on the motor & 1 on the JS with a bigger pulley on the other end of the JS . Can you get a pic of the system from the back side showing the whole JS system?

Normally on a 2 pulley system 1 step pulley is is put on the with shaft the large pulley out & the other with the small pulley out.

What does the big pulley on the other end of the JS run.

Bill,
On the flat bed, start with razor blades to take the heavy rust off - works like a charm. Then if you use the paper towel route with the evaporust - wrapping the bed with plastic wrap will help keep the moisture in.

On the stuck MT - soaking with penetrating oil is good, heat also helps break the rust bond. A propane torch has always worked wonders with stuck stuff. Just watch the heat transfer to the bearings.

I bet the counter shaft set-up accommodated the difference in speeds needed for metal work and wood turning.

Looks like a great piece of equipment - good luck.:thumb:
Wes

Wow, that thing came complete with everything but the kitchen sink. I've not used a pulley system like that, so can't offer advice on it, but the lathe and accessories should clean up and turn into a nice setup. :thumb:

And whatever you do, DO NOT use a "pipe" wrench on ANY nut. If you don't have the correct size wrench, pick up a combination (box end & open end) at Sears.

Looks like you have a real nice machine. Patience and lots of Bernie's "elbow grease" will make this a great lathe.

Check www.OWWM.org for lots of good advice on this lathe. There are some fine restorations there and at www.OWWM.com too.

I wish I was close to you. I'd like to help.

Bill

I was looking at your jack shaft system. I see 2 step pulleys it looks like 1 on the motor & 1 on the JS with a bigger pulley on the other end of the JS . Can you get a pic of the system from the back side showing the whole JS system?

Normally on a 2 pulley system 1 step pulley is is put on the with shaft the large pulley out & the other with the small pulley out.

What does the big pulley on the other end of the JS run.

I will unwrap the lathe later today and try to get a few pics of the pulley arrangement before the storm hits this afternoon.

Which is the jackshaft? Is that the same as what Delta in their 1935 catalog calls the countershaft?

Also, please someone explain to me with all of these pulley shafts firmly in place how do I move a belt from one sheave to another? On the drill pless I release the tension on the motor mount and move the belt but here it looks very crude to have to loosen several bolts just to change speed. I know 1930's technology as opposed to you guys with your electronic speed controls!

I will unwrap the lathe later today and try to get a few pics of the pulley arrangement before the storm hits this afternoon.

Which is the jackshaft? Is that the same as what Delta in their 1935 catalog calls the counter shaft?

Also, please someone explain to me with all of these pulley shafts firmly in place how do I move a belt from one sheave to another? On the drill pless I release the tension on the motor mount and move the belt but here it looks very crude to have to loosen several bolts just to change speed. I know 1930's technology as opposed to you guys with your electronic speed controls!

I don't know how the former owners were doing it because as I explained in the former post they have both the pulley on the motor & the lathe mounter in the same way one needs to be with the small pulley out while the other needs to be with the large pulley out. I would change the pulley on the lathe it's self to have the small pulley out. A good example of this would be your drill-press look at the pulley arraignment on it. On my lathe which is a double duty lathe like yours I am running a 3/4 HP motor & the motor is mounted to a hinged platform I just pick up the motor a little & change the belt position. Unfortunately my motor has to be mounted on the outside of the stand because it turns the opposite of what your motor does & my stand is also made of 8" concrete block.

I would remount the motor to hang from a hinged platform under the stand.

The Jack shaft is the one behind the lathe with the step pulley on 1 end & the bigger single pulley on the other end. The only thing I can see you needing it for is metal turning but I don't see how it works that is why I am asking for more & better pics. I could better understand it if the motor was powering the other end of the J/S & there was a step pulley on both ends of the J/S which would power the lathe head & give multiple slower speeds.

P.S

Just thought of this:

Does the motor have a shaft sticking out of the other end with a pulley on it? This is the only way I can understand the lathe being powered from what I am able to see right now?

P.P.S.

I was looking again at the pulley arraignment. Is the pulley on the end of the J/S we can see a step pulley or a single pulley? If it is a step pulley you could turn wood just using 2 step pulleys on the outboard end of the motor & lathe & remove this belt & run longer belt from the J/S pulley up to the lathe head to really slow it down for outboard turning big wood items or metal turning. Looking at the front of the lathe it looks like it has a door at the right end of the motor & this could give access to what maybe another pulley system on the other end of the motor.

Last edited:
Bill,

I believe you are correct - counter shaft and jack shaft in Bart's reference are the same thing.

Another thought on the rust - I made a soaking pit for a pair of lathe legs by digging a hole in the ground and lining it with a cheap shower curtain. This allows you to use the rust remover of choice or even electrolysis. I used the "purple" cleaner - Castrol Super Clean I think is what it is called. Home Depot has a similar Zep brand cleaner. Takes the grease, paint and rust right off!!:eek:

Wes

Hi Bart and anyone else with any ideas :wave:

I still do not understand how the previous user could change speeds.

Here is a closeup of the jackshaft mounting.
JackPulley.jpg

This part of the arrangement looks like it is for the slower speeds, since it gets the power from the inside shaft on the motor through the jack pulley and then to the outside pulley for transfer to the headstock.
JackShaftPulley.jpg

Kind of bright background but the jack pulley and the other end should be visible!
MotorPulley.jpg

This pic shows the two pulleys that could send belts to the head stock. It would appear that only one at a time though :D
Pulleys.jpg

Here is a view from the end of the lathe showing the three pulleys on this end.
ThreeEndPulleys.jpg

Bart, since I have removed the motor to rewire it with a ground (and better wire, the old one was very dry and crumbly) and remove the exposed reversing switch mounted on the front of the table top, I will try to figure out a way to remount the motor on the board but put the board on some type of arrangement to release the tension on the belt(s).

Again, any and all comments, advice will be appreciated.

Last edited:
On all my lathes with a motor mounted to a board & hinged to the lathe stand I've just used the weight of the motor to keep the belt tight without any problems. You can design in a I bolt with a bolt through the eye on the stationary part with a notch in the edge of the board that the motor is on & use a washer & a wing nut & swing the bolt into the notch & tighten the wing nut to pull the motor tighter if you want.

It looks like for metal turning you would use the jack shaft & a belt from the step pulley up to the step pulley on the head. For wood turning you would remove the belt from the step pulleys on the outboard end of the J/S & just use a belt from the motor to the head step pulley.

Last edited:
Bill on my lathe I use a small C clamp to hold the motor/jack shaft in place. These pics don't show the clamp (it's under the motor) but do somewhat show my jack shaft set up. Not the best but it gets the job done.

Attachments

• 20080417_0031.JPG
    20080417_0031.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20080417_0034.JPG
    20080417_0034.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 15