Priceing Question

Al killian

For those that either work in a millshop or own one, how do you charge for milling rough lumber? Seems to be two groups that I have found. First are the ones that go by the board as it comes in and then the ones that charge for the finished board plus a little extra.:huh: Which way is more fair for both parties? At current I get $0.80 bft for milling their lumber, which is about the going rate.

milling how al?
s4s, rough random width/length to crown, how deap or wide if you`re talking cutting a profile, then profiled on how many sides....
species makes a difference too i won`t cut hickory for the same price as poplar.

al,
most moulding takes a minimum of 5 passes through the machines unless you`ve got a moulder with 5-6 heads....throw in the fact that shops with "real" moulders have gang-rips and laborers....a one man shop can`t s4s for 15cents bf.....that`s what my wholesaler charges me......but they come to me for curved stuff..
setting up for short-run stuff can occasionally be profitable but move to 80cents a lf instead of bf.