Thread: Solar Eclipse

Solar Eclipse

I guess we are going to get about 70% here in Tokyo.

Should be fun, I don't think we have had that high a percentage in a while.

I have #12 arc welding helmets, these should be OK to watch the eclipse, but I'm also going to set up a pinhole thing for the kids to watch.

Cheers!

http://www.shadowandsubstance.com/
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I would forego the actual watching of the sun as even welder's helmits are not considered safe. Pin holes against a piece of paper is also extreme for young eyes. I have witnessed them before and the most interesting thing is not the blocking of the sun but the lighting effect thta surrounds you. Best to have the kids look at how things change and the color differences than the actual orb and the shadow of the moon.

Photographs on the internet are much more informative than actually burning your eyes to see it live, The effects of light on this Earth is more informative.

Well we are about 30 minutes from the event, and it is, of course, cloudy and rainy
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

All the plans of mice and men...... I'm sure it will be on TV But it should be a rather dismal looking day and the effect of the solar blockage should be enhanced. Might even appear to be night. Last eclipse I witnessed was a bright sunny day and the darkness fell upon us like Late afternoon in winter. Interesting to see what a rainy day brings. Got any amulets, trinkets, or potients to carry you through this encounter with the omens of distruction?
    Last edited by Bill Simpson; 07-22-2009 at 01:42 AM.

I recall a lunar eclipse in southeast asia back in 70 or so, where the cambodians fired off a months worth of ammo trying to save the moon from being eaten by a giant frog...sound like the same thing is going to happen in some parts of the world with this eclipse
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 07-22-2009 at 01:45 AM. Reason: spelling