Jonathan's Shop

:huh:So based on the photos, it appears that you don't have one continuous foundation. Rather, you have four parallel rows of concrete foundation that run back-to-front?
And I'll ask the question... if this is strictly going to be a shop, then why the garage door? That'll let in more cold than those windows you're skipping would let in, won't it? I know, the door was free, but I still like to ask the big-picture questions.

Yes Art, four rows of concrete footers/footings!

Garage door, to get the big stuff out. I am not a furniture builder, I see building picnic tables, yard barns and such inside. Also need an opening to pull hogs, deer, calves, and such in to be skinned and cut up. So it is a multi purpose shop, no welding or such going on in, but will need the large opening. Also, with no windows or AC, in the summer I will need the opening for comfort sake. The door is insulated and can do temporary insulating along the track as it won't be opened daily or even weekly.

Good questions!!!!!:thumb::thumb:

South wall done

Well, the South wall is now completed.
4. South interior wall.JPG
Here is the South portion of the building as it stood a couple of days ago.

4b. South interior wall gone.JPG
Interior wall removed. Did put up a brace just in the event of well, you know, collapse?!!:eek::dunno::rofl::rofl:

4c. South wall studs.JPG
I bought this farm off of the daughter of the man who actually built this farm. He must have repaired the South studs at one time. Treated sill (from material on bracing in my big barn, his brother worked for the RR, looks like black tar coating). The dirt and missing board is from my daughter's past 4H hogs. The lean to was originally built for a shaded area for the hogs to enjoy.

4d. South West corner I.JPG
This is a picture of the SouthWest corner. Pretty good shape, in fact compared to the NorthWest corner, this is in excellent shape!!:thumb::thumb:
Except for the manual labor of removing the interior wall and floor and joists, pretty easy wall compared to the rest of the building.

Hi Jonathan, looking real good. You are sure joining the green movement recycling that there corn crib.:D

There is an education here for city slickers like me.

Hey as for paranoia you not crazy, ya got to live with NN's like mine before you realize what you talking about. I found the guy one night standing in the snow with snow coming down out in the bush behind my shop peering in the window like a peeping Tom. Now if i had strippers in there and a red light outside i could have understood the guy did not want to pay entrance fee, but i was woodworking.:rofl:

Now when the lights are on in the evening they monitor me and regardless of the noise they call the town. So i can understand what you mean about people watching ya.

Keep the pictures coming and there cannot be much wrong with your brain, I see you went to Purdue there has to be something said for that and ya got the brains to recycle that corn crib. :thumb:

West Wall, LAST wall!!

Okay, while the pictures are loading, let me give you a little more information. This was designed as a drive thru corn crib, I don't want/need two garage doors nor do I need a drive thru woodshop. So, the West wall needs to be enclosed.

West Wall, LAST wall!!

Okay, while the pictures are loading, let me give you a little more information. This was designed as a drive thru corn crib, I don't want/need two garage doors nor do I need a drive thru woodshop. So, the West wall needs to be enclosed. So, I needed some help and enlisted the youngest daughter's fiancee! Yep, a wedding this May 15th! :thumb::thumb: He has been a lot of help, he is the one that instigated the bet with my dad on the completion of the shop being enclosed by Sept. 20th (my birthday). So he had to help some today. Yesterday we spent time on the Horse barn lean to roof, West side got it sheeted with metal as tomorrow (Monday) weather permitting, have to haul hay. So little to no shop building tomorrow probably. :( Hopefully if all goes well tomorrow, Tuesday I can work on the shop all day. Wednesday, gone for school bus inspection (takes most of the morning) then we have a driver's meeting in the afternoon. So that is the start of my week, only three more until school starts. :eek:

5a. West end I.jpg
This is a picture of the West wall, notice North corner repair!:thumb:

5b. West end II.jpg
Here is another picture with the lean to included. More on its contents probably yet tonight in the next post.

5c. West opening.JPG
This is a picture of my newest piece of equipment's work. A three point post hole auger. I have drilled nine fence posts and man is it easy compared to the hand diggers! I buried two 4x4 treated posts to hold up the new wall that will enclose the West end.

4a. South interior wall I.JPG
Remember this section of wall? Well, yep, that is where new son in law was needed. It was heavy!! All native rough cut oak. Did I mention it was heavy???:eek::eek:

5d. West wall in place.jpg
This is a shot of the back of the Wood shop as it stands now. West end secured. Held in place by two 4x4's and tied into the shop's West wall by pole barn spikes. Man, this changed the interior appearance so much! I have failed to take a shot of it, will try to rectify that tomorrow. I plan on taking the camera with me and getting some shots of the hay hauling expidition.

Okay, here it is. Well?? Been kind of quiet out there. Feel free to ask, discuss, offer opinions. Thanks for watching.

Friday's work (mine and hired labor's)

Okay, I have evidently lost a couple of pictures of the work on Friday so will go through things tomorrow and either find the pictures or take some new ones to bring it all together. Friday was a very productive day. I built some new fence and moved a mare/foal/stud into a new pasture. Tore down some old fence and got a rough cut board pile moved as well as sand in the shop. I was pooped let me tell you! Then yesterday on the wall and horse barn lean to roof and then went to the Plymouth Speedway and watched CRA cars race as well as a trailer race. Yep, they pulled trailers and raced and man was it a hoot!!!!! Also made for a short night as we got home around 1 am. This ole man doesn't do that much anymore! It was fun though. Good people, good time, $20 a carload so was inexpensive entertainment.

Well the low down on this rough cut pile of wood needing moved is that wall needs covered in order to win the bet with my dad. So, moving a stickered wood pile and restickering it isn't my idea of fun. So I hired a couple of my students and they did a great job! Stickered, all stickers lined up, wood pretty much kept together by species!!:thumb::thumb:

5. West end.jpg
I had to dig back to find a picture of the blue tarped pile you see in the picture. Also in this picture is my old Oliver 770 that the hydraulics quit working on and left me in a jam moving my hay in. I took that loader off of that tractor and put it on a larger Oliver I bought. It will be showing up in pictures eventually. As good as this 770 was, the 1600 Oliver is fantastic. Anyway, the blue tarp covering a pile. That is what we need to focus on as well as the junk accumulated around.

Board pile.jpg
Here is what was under that tarp. A pile of 2x6 pine boards rough cut. I thought there was a pallet under them but nope. So the bottom boards have been in direct contact with the ground for over two years. One board somewhat soft in one place about a 1/4" wide about a foot long. Won't be using the bottom boards. These by the way are some of the boards I plan on using for my floor.

Board pile gone.jpg
Shazaaaaam!!! it is gone!!!! Hmmmm, where did it go???

Board pile loaded.jpg
Yep, good ole Dodge to the rescue. Work smarter not harder! :thumb:

Board pile count.JPG
64 boards, eight feet minimum 2x6" rough cut pine. I was thinking I was pretty smart marking this down and taking a picture of it for documentation.

Lean to .jpg
This is where the build becomes one of those type of things where someone says, "I told you that story to tell you this story". Well I showed you the board pile so I could explain why I needed now to move my floorboards out of their storage place. Remember the lean to, well that is about 1/4 of my stash of random pieces of cherry, oak, beech and maple. I need to get to the South side of the shop to fully enclose it and win the steak dinner bet.

Wood bin.JPG
Around here (in this community) this is called a Mint Tub. It would sit on a heavy running gear (will try to take a picture of my tub and running gear) and it has a hoist under it so the wagon dumps. I was at a junk yard a few years ago, saw a whole bunch of these mint tubs (ended up being 12 of them) talked to the guy, he wanted a $100.00 each. So, yep, bought them, all of them, ended up only parting with 4 of them. Man they have been handy. One of them is clear full of stickered hardwood boards.

Wood bin front.JPG
This is the front of the tub. Notice the rectangular opening, this is a doorway for the mint chopper to "blow" mint into this tub. When it gets to the still a door with a tube on it is latched on. They steam the mint in this tub and the mint and water run out to the still and are seperated, oil is captured and hot water runs to a mandatory cooling pond. These tubs had pin holes developing so pressure and expensive oil and leaking tubs don't mix.

Wood bin remodeled.JPG
Here is how I modify most of my tubs for my wood use. Using an oxy/acetylene torch I cut the catwalk and bracing off, then cut a rectangular vertical hole. Not a large hole as it isn't something I use daily and prefer the metal walls instead of building a large door. Convenience is out the door on this shed. So this is #2 rough cut wood shed.

Conversations

Rob, yep, green movement. The less green I move out of my wallet the less green my shade of color becomes!!!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl: My dad calls it working smart, my grandfather would call it "thrifty". Me, I know it, I am just plain to cheap to buy when it can be refurbed. Will have to try to dig up some pictures of the combine I turned into a loader a few years back. And my termite truck, Stu saw it on another forum I post on that deals with welding and such. Dale Johnson has seen it also I believe. How did you learn I went to Purdue? (I generally keep that a secret!:huh::rolleyes:)

Larry, thanks. Yeah, been many days the past 17 years using this for this or that. When this wood habit became more than a passing fancy, I started planning and saving for this build. It has been renovated in my mind hundreds of different ways. When I farmed with horses I could daydream of all kinds of things. Still do mowing pastures on my John Deere. The solid core door will be used in a prominent position in this shop my friend. I again thank you for this gift and it is where we put it until its time to be installed.

Art, I hope I answered the question about the garage door adequately without sounding like a smart aleck. This is a farm and I do anticipate building some picnic benches, maybe a floating pier for my pond, some feed bunks for the cattle, so I anticipate many "rough" and "large" projects requiring this type of opening. It is an insulated door and will be looking at ways to insulate/keep it tight when it isn't needed.

Thanks everyone for looking and commenting. It is coming along, think there will still be a couple of surprises coming that will make you shake your head and say to yourself or your loved one, "man glad he isn't my neighbor!". Having more fun documenting this than I thought I would. If something seems missing feel free to ask. Until probably Tuesday unless I sneak in sometime or it rains which will put a halt on hay hauling.

Man, you are sure Burnin' 'n Turnin' there Johnathan. Lotsa good progress.:thumb: I kinda calculated in my head that you have 256 sq ft in that 2" x 6 "x 8' lumber pile, so hope you got 144 sq ft more hid in another stack somewhere for the floor.:D

What did you use the rig with the double trees on each end for, (that is hanging on the north wall). Do you still have work horses? I have walked a few miles behind my uncle's teams when I was a kid, mostly using a breaking plow, but I hated running his cultivator. I sure liked farming with tractors back home a lot better, but it was always fun to hitch up a team to the wagon and ride to town.

I had to laugh when you mentioned using the three point post hole digger, 'cause the first time I got to use one was on a large ranch I was working at a couple of summers, (when I was eleven and twelve yrs old). After drilling all the holes across a field for a 1/2 mile long cross fence, (seemingly quicker'n a cat could lick its whiskers), I thought I'd died 'n gone to heaven. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: ('course it helped that those holes were dug in all good sandy loam with not ONE rock), not like our farm where every fence line but one had 6 to 10 inches of sandy loam and then the rest was always sand rock that we had to use a long chisel Bar or the short bar and a sledge hammer, and MY Dad had a Firm Requirement that every posthole be 24" deep and Corner posts 36" deep.:bang::bang::bang:

Be Careful 'n don't strain your back haulin' that hay today, (or do you make round bales 'n use a loader)?

Last edited:
Hey, this is a great ride so far, I'm enjoying it!

I love this quote.........

"what your brain doesn't do, your back has to"

.....boy is that ever true! :thumb:

Keep the pics coming, your doing a great job of documenting it all! :clap:

Okay Jonathan from now on you definitely Mr.Green in my book. So Mr. Green excuse my ignorance but what is all that talk of mint? The only mint i know of is the mint my mother and wife would chop and mix with vinegar and i would put it on my Sunday roast lamb (mmmmmmmh we dont have smilely here that will show that expression). I can gather that we are not talking about the same thing. So my best guess is you are referrring to some farm by product of something. My guess is cow poop with a term of endearment called mint. Help ???

Now i see a real good shot of all that stickered wood i wonder how you managed to be so patient. Seems some of us have a shop and others the wood, but few of us except Larry have the wood and the shop.:rofl::rofl:

As for the Purdue part I just looked up your profile.:D

Hey whats going to happen to the old Oliver 770. Surely thats going to get a "green overhauling". Oops i think there is room there for a TV show dont ya.

Great post Jonathan keep em coming, good luck with the hay hauling and bull castrating. Ouch!. :)

Doing great.

So is the lean-to going to be incorporated into the interior of the shop, or is it going to remain outdoor storage?

And Larry is right, that was pretty slick how you re-used that section of interior wall to close up the other large opening. Oak, really? That's got to be hard to nail, let alone lift!

So is it getting siding or board-n-batton, or something else to close in the walls?

thanks for posting the photos, we really enjoy them!

This is a cool project Jonathan. I always like to see old buildings preserved for new uses. Thanks for posting the chronicle.
Haven't been on much lately (due to trying to keep my own old wooden buildings from falling down) but enjoyed reading through this whole project. You're making great progress and I figure your bet is safe!
Good job on the sill plates and foundation joinery too - that will pay off later. I'll be "borrowing" some of those ideas in the future.
Looking forward to more updates.
Peter

Lost Pictures

While waiting for the water trough to fill up, I walked around and took some pictures. A couple of the West wall from the outside, one a close up to show that the interior wall spaces matched the exterior wall spaces.
West wall in place outside shot.jpg
Notice the wall sections that are left over and leaning? Well was needing a pier for my pond. But, future SIL found 40' of pier free!!!! Yep, got to take some time this week to go get a free pier! (thinking it will make some ground blinds around the farm!

West wall close up outside.jpg
Not bad match up job for a rough carpentar!:D

Wood bin stacked.jpg
This is a close up of the inside of the wood bin. Less than 1/3 of the wood needed moved.

Wood bin stacked I.jpg
With the shot backed up, shows where the wood bin is situated behind the new woodshop (near the managers!)

Hello, well today was to be my work day on the shop. Did something to my shoulder and thought the arm was falling off Monday evening. It is now feeling well enough to move my fingers and do some typing. Pulled something in the top of my shoulder somehow. So only put three pieces of styrofoam insulation up and then was done after doing chores and dodging raindrops. Raindrops!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!! Was starting to look like late August around here with burnt up grass. On to the questions.

"Norman" "I kinda calculated in my head that you have 256 sq ft in that 2" x 6 "x 8' lumber pile, so hope you got 144 sq ft more hid in another stack somewhere for the floor.

What did you use the rig with the double trees on each end for, (that is hanging on the north wall). Do you still have work horses?

I had to laugh when you mentioned using the three point post hole digger, 'cause the first time I got to use one was on a large ranch I was working at a couple of summers,(seemingly quicker'n a cat could lick its whiskers), I thought I'd died 'n gone to heaven. MY Dad had a Firm Requirement that every posthole be 24" deep and Corner posts 36" deep.

Be Careful 'n don't strain your back haulin' that hay today, (or do you make round bales 'n use a loader)?"

Norman, remember me talking about the other "wood bin", yep some more stashed away, this is what wouldn't fit!
Double trees, yep was big into farming with my big ponies/small horses for years after I avoided bankruptcy trying to be a full time farmer. Happy with my hobby now.
That auger, man oh man, you hit the nail on the head about the speed! My dad was 40" on H brace posts and 30" on line posts! Posthole diggers, my shoulders and biceps helped me through many scrapes in HS and I owe it all to digging postholes and shoeing horses!
Funny you mention this, I pulled something in my shoulder moving my hay yesterday. Large square bales, 600# average. Use a spear on my loader.

"Stu" "I love this quote......"what your brain doesn't do, your back has to" "

Don't know how many times I heard this growing up, one of those things that made you groan when you heard it. Funny how many times I say it to my students a day!!!!!!!:rofl::rofl:

Ned, hang on, it is going to get wilder yet!!

"Art" "So is the lean-to going to be incorporated into the interior of the shop, or is it going to remain outdoor storage?
So is it getting siding or board-n-batton, or something else to close in the walls?"

Art, the lean to has been a question in my mind for a long time. At this time, it will stay outside of the shop. Reason #1, I have an old pickup bed made into a trailer I plan on connecting to a DC eventually and part of that will be needed for that to stay dry. So still wavering, for this year, it is staying outside. Wall covering, you all are seeing it but not recognizing it in the pictures. My nephew bought to much material on sale and so my dad "rescued" it for me for my shop wall. Hmmm, making you go back and look isn't it!! That is one of the things I anticipate suprising some people and making them glad I am not their neighbor! :rofl:

"Peter" "Good job on the sill plates and foundation joinery too - that will pay off later. I'll be "borrowing" some of those ideas in the future."

Peter, that sill plate and stud repair I saw in '86 at a house trailer I rented the first year I started teaching. An old wellhouse at the trailer was in this shape and I remember thinking how it needed torn down and a new one rebuilt. The old farmer I rented from one day came in and I thought, "Alright, a new wellhouse finally!!". Nope, he jacked it up, nailed a 2x4 on across a couple of studs on the outside and used a farm jack like mine to hold it up and he fixed the sill plate and studs. Don't remember, think it took him a month, but when he was done, it was reinsulated, sided, and cement boarded inside. Looked better than new. That man taught me more than I could ever repay him. Both in the technical aspects of repair as well as an eye for what a building in place is worth. He is long gone now, God rest his soul, but a part of me feels him on my shoulders while working telling me what to do. My maternal grandfather will be with me from heaven while I do the electric. He was an electrician by trade and wired many houses when rural electric became available.

"Rob" "Okay Jonathan from now on you definitely Mr.Green in my book. So Mr. Green excuse my ignorance but what is all that talk of mint? My guess is cow poop with a term of endearment called mint. Help ???

Now i see a real good shot of all that stickered wood i wonder how you managed to be so patient.

As for the Purdue part I just looked up your profile.

Hey whats going to happen to the old Oliver 770. Surely thats going to get a "green overhauling". Oops i think there is room there for a TV show dont ya.

Great post Jonathan keep em coming, good luck with the hay hauling and bull castrating. Ouch!. "

Rob, thought I had forgotten you didn't you!!!!??!! Mint, Starke County, Indiana is a very large mint producing county. Used to be because of our "muck" type soils. Now with genetics, mint can be grown in soil that originally wouldn't support mint or provide good flavoring to the mint oil. So nope, actually a cash crop. It is grown for its oil, which flavors many things including your toothpaste and chewing gum. We keep a small bottle of pure mint oil for stuffed up noses, put a tiny drop on a hanky and it will clear your nose, or a drop on the underside of your pillow, will keep you clear all night! It is potent stuff and burns. The cow poop you discuss, it is hauled to the field in a "turd hearst" or more commonly known as a "manure spreader".
Thought of this comment today when driving back to water the feeder calves. Took the camera and between rain showers, took some photos I will post probably in a different thread.
:doh::doh:Didn't realize it was there, I am not ashamed, paid for what I got and have a good job, no complaints. :doh::doh:
The 770 has been traded if I get the time to haul it about 200 miles South one of these days. Can't be raining because the guy wants me to leave it apart as he has the parts to fix it and doesn't want to do another tear down on it. I have over the phone traded it for an Allis Chalmers C, with a five foot Woods belly mower under it. Will really speed up my mowing time for sure. If it sells before I get down there, he has offered cash also so it is getting a new home. I do not at this time have the space or money to restore an old tractor. I do plan someday to build another shop for metal fabrication/welding/plasma torch table for metal signs, my blacksmith stuff and in an area of pure concrete with cement block foundation with metal interior walls. Pure fire retardant. That is another thread in other years. I digress with my future plans, sorry.
Bull castrating and Ouch, my vet always tells me as he kneels down between their back legs with the scapel in his teeth, "don't forget, if the cutter gets kicked, the holder gets cut!". I am the holder!!!!:eek::eek: The way we hold them, in a head gate so they cannot go forward or backwards, the sides are very close limiting their side to side body movement. Standing above them on one of the gates, I hold the tail straight up and over their backbone. Held correctly and through the body movements once the process begins, they cannot kick due to the tail position. Doc really gives me incentive to hold the tail correctly! :eek::huh::wave::wave:

East Wall Doors Framed

Well spent some money yesterday!!! :eek::eek: Man I hate doing that! But this is the first "real" money put in this venture. $544.00 for 2 1/2 inch white insulation that will give me an R10 insulation value. Could have gotten the denser blue board, 2" also an R10 value. White=13 or 16 dollars each, Blue=26-28 each! I had the room for the extra 1/2" and went that direction.
So yesterday spent some time on the road gong to the lumber yard, otherwise a good day.

East wall.jpg
Well, here it is, framed for the garage door and service entrance door. I had to get the post hole diggers out, my auger is a 12" auger, a little overkill for a 4x4 post. Plus was digging along those concrete footers and didn't want to mess up my auger!:eek:

Trailer with piers.jpg
Interesting picture don't you think? A trailer load of piers! Well the price was right, FREE! They are nice, carrying them they are solid, no racking, the people had a brother lose his job and staying in their cottage at a nearby lake so they paid him to build a new pier from that man made decking material. I do have a pond, but this pier put together would go all the way across it! :doh:

Trailer with insulation.jpg
Realized I needed insulation, went to the local thrift store first down the road, talked with the owner's son about some poly something or other they have in large sheets. I found out it is originally for packing material, and they are seconds. People are having good luck with it under cement floors and between the basement walls and earth but in a wall he said he had it and it shrunk real bad. Wouldn't advise it. That is why I talked with him!:thumb: On the way out his dad asked how much I had bought, told him I was going to try something else, he tried real hard to sell it to me, but the son and I understand each other and I respect his building talents. So on to the lumberyard. Here is what a $544.00 load of insulation looks like on top of a bunch of piers. Took a nice leisurely drive through the county to get home (stayed off of the highway!). :)

North wall .JPG
Here is where I stopped last night. Insulation fit tight, top to bottom, screwing 1/2" plywood for an interior wall.

Might seem a little backwards, remember it is me building this! :rofl::rofl:
But the cats are utilizing my sand something fierce and want to get the wood floor down. Oh, speaking of floor, well get to handle that load of 2x6's again, thinking I might use the piers as they are all treated wood. :dunno:

Until next time :wave::wave::wave::wave: