Ambrosial Maple

Doug Miller

Got this piece of wood @ Choice Woods on discount because it didn't have much ambrosia to it. Came out pretty nice. LOML is going to be pretty particular how this one leaves the house. Thought she was going to come unglued when she thought I was donating it to the auction last week. Anyway, this is one of the prettiest bowls I've done, IMHO. It is 8 7/8" wide by 2 3/4 tall. I think it is a bit deceiving, looks to be taller than that. Anyway, the finish is 4 coats of Seal-A-Cell that were sanded between coats with 400 wet, about 8 coats of Arm-R-Seal, which were also wet sanded with 400 between coats. Not buffing this one because I do not want to pull the finish off like I did with another piece or two. Pretty deep and clear as is. I'll buff up with some Ren. Wax before it goes out the door for sure.

All comments and questions welcomed

Attachments

• Ambrosia Maple above flash(600 x 450).jpg
    Ambrosia Maple above flash(600 x 450).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Ambrosia Maple side (600 x 450).jpg
    Ambrosia Maple side (600 x 450).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 36
That has some nice ambrosia to it... not too much, just about right. I like the shape and form of the bowl too... really a nice piece.

I do most of my bowls with a satin finish... LOML always complains if I get too shiny that it doesn't look real... she likes the looks of the wood with a low lustre.