Toilet Roll Holders ... #2 and #3

Kerry Burton

Dunno how many folks got to see [my first toilet roll holder], but I don't think I ever posted a "completed" picture of it.

Well, in the past few months I managed to turn a couple more. I reduced the diameter significantly, and went for more adjustability in the length. Oh, and found some much weaker compression springs (5 lbs feels about right).

I took my 3 holders to a recent woodturning club meeting and just laid them out with the rest of the show-and-tell items. (Top and middle holders are made of "dunno wood" ... bottom one is purpleheart.)

A590_0643_BathroomRollHolder_FullSet.jpg

The display was in a kinda out-of-the-way place at this particular venue, but the folks that made it back there didn't seem to know what these objects were anyway.

My other woodturning club met the next night, so I stayed up late and designed/built something that I hoped would encourage folks to handle the holders:

A590_0642_BathroomRollHolder_FullSet_WithDisplayRack.jpg

The reaction was better, but still subdued. Maybe if I had mounted the "display" vertically? :dunno: I looked forward to the "show and tell" segment after the club demo, but the presenter took too long and it was tabled till next time. Sigh....

Here is the design that I used for holder #2 and #3. (Dimensions in pencil were for holder #2. Dimensions in pen were for holder #3.)

A590_0654_BathroomRollHolder_Design.jpg

Last edited:
Kerry, those are really cool, neat idea for sure.

The frame, or holder is nice too.

How about this for an idea, put a little fake wall up, and buy a super cheap plastic unit, and put it side by side with your nice, custom, handmade unit beside it, I would bet you would get lots of comments then :D :thumb:

Hey Kerry,
Those are pretty neat, and thanks for the drawing. Maybe if you parked a roll of TP by the holders, it would help? Or add another bracket with a roll installed.

Thanks to renewed interest in this topic (by at least 1 person :rolleyes:) I created a TurboCAD drawing of the bracket arms as seen in Photo #2 in the original post, augmented with an additional cutout:

ToiletRollHolderRack_ExtraHole.gif

The rectangle at the bottom is 3 1/2" x 1/2".

The shaded area is a 3/4" counterbore rather than a through hole.

The 3 large dots represent the center points for all of the circular arcs that I originally drew on paper with a compass.
Distance of the right and left dots from the "origin": 3 1/2"
Distance of the upper dot from the "origin": About 2 27/32"

Radius values from the right and left dots: 3 7/8", 4 3/8", 4 7/8", 5 1/4".
Radius values from the upper dot: 3/8", 3/4", 2 1/4".​

If you're more handy with scissors than a compass, I copied a 1:1 PDF version to my webspace at

If you make your own version of the bracket, the mounting distance between the arms will depend on the length and expansion range of the toilet roll holder itself. The arms must be close enough to prevent the holder from falling out when fully extended ... but far enough apart that the holder can be installed with a full roll of TP. A little trial and error will help you decide where to screw in the 3 1/2" x 1/2" x 1/2" mounting pieces.