Pic #1 - Well i didnt have to go to work today so i thought i would finish some projects I wanted to work on. First up was my drying issues and so i put a new plastic garbage can in the house in the entertainment room (Pic #1 below). I opened up all the roughs i had in brown paper bags, lightly sprayed them with some 50/50 liquid soap and water solution and rebagged them. Then i labeled the paper bags with how many checks or problems i saw and put them in the tash can inside with the lid on lightly.
What problem do i forsee in doing this ? Ill let you know when the wife gets home tonight and sees it
Going to give it a try in a much cooler controlled room and im sure the problems will go away or be very small........time will tell now.....ill keep you posted.
Pic-#2 - 4 plates of pine and sanded with gloss laquer - nothing real special but turned out fine
Pic-#3 - small vase but i was using up a can of semi gloss acrylic i had laying around. It sprays nicely and has a hard coat that drys fast but i still like laquer overall but acrylic is a good choice. Goes on with a light white color but soon disappears and sets up like laquer.
Pic-#4 & 5 - Finally got around to trying this compression chuck for cleaning up the tennon areas on turnings and it works well. Just make sure you keep your hands out of the way on the back side where the bolts stick thru toward the headstock or you will get a nasty whack......i used a 4x4 and turned it round - then turned a small dowel like stub on one end that will fit into the plate with the faceplate on it - this is so i can compression clamp natural edge bowls and work on tennons - works very well and i was able to clean up and reshape the bottom. My understanding with cole jaws you would have to take light cuts - with this compression jig i can take a pretty good cut with problems at all - and im not limited to 10" as is the case with Supernova cole jaws.....
Pic #6- small pine bowl finished - soaked with oil and sanded every now and then - dried and resoaked for a couple weeks - then dried for 2 weeks and 2 coats of laquer and now sitting in final drying.....the picture does not show it but the bottom is translucent.
Pic -#7 - small pine bowl with analine dye and agressively sanded back down - then a couple coats of tung oil and laquer spray - now sitting to dry for a couple weeks.