Drying update and a few finished projects today

Dan Mosley

Pic #1 - Well i didnt have to go to work today so i thought i would finish some projects I wanted to work on. First up was my drying issues and so i put a new plastic garbage can in the house in the entertainment room (Pic #1 below). I opened up all the roughs i had in brown paper bags, lightly sprayed them with some 50/50 liquid soap and water solution and rebagged them. Then i labeled the paper bags with how many checks or problems i saw and put them in the tash can inside with the lid on lightly.
What problem do i forsee in doing this ? Ill let you know when the wife gets home tonight and sees it:eek:
Going to give it a try in a much cooler controlled room and im sure the problems will go away or be very small........time will tell now.....ill keep you posted.

Pic-#2 - 4 plates of pine and sanded with gloss laquer - nothing real special but turned out fine
Pic-#3 - small vase but i was using up a can of semi gloss acrylic i had laying around. It sprays nicely and has a hard coat that drys fast but i still like laquer overall but acrylic is a good choice. Goes on with a light white color but soon disappears and sets up like laquer.
Pic-#4 & 5 - Finally got around to trying this compression chuck for cleaning up the tennon areas on turnings and it works well. Just make sure you keep your hands out of the way on the back side where the bolts stick thru toward the headstock or you will get a nasty whack......i used a 4x4 and turned it round - then turned a small dowel like stub on one end that will fit into the plate with the faceplate on it - this is so i can compression clamp natural edge bowls and work on tennons - works very well and i was able to clean up and reshape the bottom. My understanding with cole jaws you would have to take light cuts - with this compression jig i can take a pretty good cut with problems at all - and im not limited to 10" as is the case with Supernova cole jaws.....
Pic #6- small pine bowl finished - soaked with oil and sanded every now and then - dried and resoaked for a couple weeks - then dried for 2 weeks and 2 coats of laquer and now sitting in final drying.....the picture does not show it but the bottom is translucent.
Pic -#7 - small pine bowl with analine dye and agressively sanded back down - then a couple coats of tung oil and laquer spray - now sitting to dry for a couple weeks.

Attachments

• Trash Can (600 x 450).jpg
    Trash Can (600 x 450).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 4-plates (600 x 450).jpg
    4-plates (600 x 450).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 30
  • bowl-acrylic spray (600 x 450).jpg
    bowl-acrylic spray (600 x 450).jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 25
  • compression chuck-1 (600 x 450).jpg
    compression chuck-1 (600 x 450).jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 30
  • compression chuck-2 (600 x 450).jpg
    compression chuck-2 (600 x 450).jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Pine bowl-1 (600 x 450).jpg
    Pine bowl-1 (600 x 450).jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Pine bowl-2 (600 x 450).jpg
    Pine bowl-2 (600 x 450).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Dan nice job on all.Thanks for the pics and explanation on the compression chuck.I have a couple natural edge that are drying right now and been woundering how to fix the bottom.:thumb:I guess i'll be making one this weekend after i get back from taking down a cherry tree and getting it to the saw mill.Hope you don't mind me stealing your idea.;)
Steve

LOL ok the cats name is Buttons.....very good observation

Stephen - If you need more pics or more explanation on making the compression jig just let me know - I made mine out of pine scrap wood and cut the circles on the bandsaw - clamped and used my drill press to drill the holes and numbered them 1-2-3-on both plates so i know exactly which one to line up with which - using a Don Pencil small face plate that was a extra i mounted it the base plate - once attached i put the two together and trued them up on the lathe - then with only the base on i cut a small recess in the center to hold the large dowel 4x4 i turned (actually i made several because i turn alot of natural edge bowls). With the outer plate attached to the base with the face plate i cut the center hole and rounded the edges - you can do with with good wood screws or by short carriage bolts. The padding was some old soft turf type carpet i had laying around - that will not mark up the wood when compressed..

Bernie thanks ....

Nice work, Dan. :thumb: I like the look of the dyed pine. (Wish the pic was a bit more clear, though.)

Watch the bowls drying in the trash can to be sure they don't start to mold. If the container isn't sealed tightly, you shouldn't have a problem with it.

And yep, you're discovering how handy a donut chuck can be. (I had forgotten that Bill Grumbine calls it a compression chuck. Those Pennsylvania folks have different words for everything.) :p Whatever they're called, they sure can be useful. I used solid pine for one of my rings once, but it developed a crack, so I switched to using plywood. (I've also made rings out of particle board, but I don't recommend that at all, either.)