Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ambo (Pulpit) Design

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Ambo (Pulpit) Design

Well as you may know I have the approved design for the Altar and now need to get serious about the design for the Ambo. Dan I tried the front panel solid with the edegs angled but it just didn't look right. I took Renee's suggestion and made the place for the book adjustable in height and the angle.
    As always your comments and suggestions are welcome.

I am planning on putting something on the front like a dove

This is the ambo placed in the santuary along with the altar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ambo2.jpg   Sacristy 2.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Don Baer; 07-24-2009 at 12:20 AM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Hi Don - I like where this is going. However, the legs seem really heavy to me. I know you want to maintain a 'family resemblance' with the altar, but can the legs be downsized a it to lighten them up?
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

i agree with rennie, the legs need to be lightened up a bit. i would go with either 1 panel with the angled sides, or 2 with angled sides. i can't put my finger on it, but the 3 don't seem to work quite well visually. go with similar, but not carbon copy, that's what i did with the coffee, end, and sofa tables i made for one of my co-workers. all 3 had items that tied them together, but each was a seperate design. it needs the top, it just doesn't look right without it. you can still do the height/angle adjustment, but run it through an opening in the top. this can be done with a post that is in 3 parts, with the inner one tightened in place with a carriage bolt/wing nut, or even a series of holes with a nicely turned dowel to adjust the height, then the actual book holder can be adjusted with carriage bolt/wing nut. hope this helps....
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    i agree with rennie, the legs need to be lightened up a bit. i would go with either 1 panel with the angled sides, or 2 with angled sides. i can't put my finger on it, but the 3 don't seem to work quite well visually. go with similar, but not carbon copy, that's what i did with the coffee, end, and sofa tables i made for one of my co-workers. all 3 had items that tied them together, but each was a seperate design. it needs the top, it just doesn't look right without it. you can still do the height/angle adjustment, but run it through an opening in the top. this can be done with a post that is in 3 parts, with the inner one tightened in place with a carriage bolt/wing nut, or even a series of holes with a nicely turned dowel to adjust the height, then the actual book holder can be adjusted with carriage bolt/wing nut. hope this helps....
    I looked at 1 panel and it realy looks clunky. I look at the two panels but to me it sort of represent the trinity.
    In terms of lightening up the legs , I'll give it a try. I'll post a few examples. I tried the legs streight and it just didn't work.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 07-24-2009 at 03:52 AM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Here is a close-up of the altar amabo together. In the Picuture the Altar leag are 3" wide and 8" at the base. The ambo is 2 " x 6" at the base.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sacristy close up.jpg  

Well I'm sorta stuck and open to ideas. I don't care for the open design of the top this piece. The pastor doesn't want the ambo too big so that it dwarfs the altar. I can adapt the raising and lower as well as the angle adjustment to just about any design. Here is the direction I was going in but just not happy with where it's going. HELP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ambo3.jpg  

how's this look don?

here's an idea for you to kick around.
    benedictione omnes bene

ummm dan all I see is a smile ...

grrrr... hit the wrong button...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lectern mk1.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

the book holder on the top can be loose, and moved around to suit the person reading, and i left the back open in for shelves, drawers, cable tv monitor...
    benedictione omnes bene