Small is beautiful

I have been making crochet hooks for a lady and she asked me if I could make a 1mm hook. No I said, wood would be far too fragile. So she posted me the hooks and asked if I could make handles for them instead.

1mmccrochethook.jpg

The shaft is 1.5mm dia. the wood is walnut and 5" long. Dia varies but tapers down to 1.7mm where the shaft goes in. I drilled the hole then pared it down with 100 grit sandpaper as I didn't have the nerve to go that thin with a tool. Where the shaft enters the wood the thickness is well under .25mm
Finished with Melamine for smoothness and durability.
Pete

Wow, that is fine stuff, both the work and the size :D

My Great Grandmother did a LOT of the the lace crochet work, she too used them little tiny hooks and my Grandfather made handles for them, not nearly as nice as yours, and he hand whittled them to size. He heated up the shaft of the thin crochet hook and then pushed it into the piece of wood, let it cool off, then whittled them down to size.

Cheers!

Nice work, Pete. :thumb: I don't recall seeing a crochet needle that small. My mom and her mom used to do quite a bit of crocheting, but nothing that fine, as I recall.

Nice work, Pete. :thumb: I don't recall seeing a crochet needle that small. My mom and her mom used to do quite a bit of crocheting, but nothing that fine, as I recall.

I hadn't either. I have made them in wood down to 3.5mm but any smaller nd they will be too fragile. The hook part cuts 1/2 way ito the wood so there would only be .5mm of wood there. Maybe in Lignum or something but then the cost would rocket. Much easier this way.

pete