May He Rust in Peace - Promoter of WD-40 Passes Away

The story does clarify he was not the inventor, Norm Larsen was.
I once met Norm, interesting guy with a very interesting story about the development of the product.

Please share if you can Frank.

I've heard the 40 stands for the 40th attempt to get the formula correct (as in WD-1, nope, WD-2, nope, etc), but I'm not sure it is true.

Please share if you can Frank.

I've heard the 40 stands for the 40th attempt to get the formula correct (as in WD-1, nope, WD-2, nope, etc), but I'm not sure it is true.

It is true. He, and his team, were given the assignment to find a light lubricant for very high voltage switches that were used in a very humid environment.
As a scientist, he played with molecules, atoms and all those good things looking for the right combo to do the job. With the 40th attempt they hit the right formula. Since it displaced moisture and did the lube job they wanted, they called it 'water displacing formula number forty'. Ergo WD40.
He was not a Martian and the product is not really made from fish oil. It is a pure petroleum product.

WD40 is a great product with many uses... make a great hand cleaner... I use it to take paint thinner, varnish, polyurethane, sanding sealer etc off my fingers when my gloves break or when I get sloppy about putting them on...

it will also take the gummy glue off jars when you peel the labels... I've even used it as a penetrating oil to take out old rusty bolts...

I put it in same category as duct tape.