Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Family Shop

Family Shop

My shop is an old chicken house. The whole building is about 40' x 200', the shop part is about 25'x40'. The shop is shared with my 3 brothers and Dad so its hard to keep clean. I cleaned up some before taking the pictures. The pics should be in order as you would walk in the door then look clockwise around the shop. The first pic is right inside the door and there is my 3 homemade sanders, the blue cylinder is the oscillating spindle sander, to the left of that is a "sandflea/ V sander" style sander, and behind them is a 6"x80" edge belt sander. Next to the door is a 12" band saw and around the corner is the lathe. Next to that is the miter saw and radial arm saw. Above the overhead door are the filters for the cyclone dust collection system. The "CHE" on the sign stands for Chicken House Engineering, My friend made it for me while I was making a steadicam for him to use for film making. Next to that door is the metal working area with stick/tig welder, metal table, grinders, metal sanders, small drill press. The next pic is the overhead door that goes outside. To the right of that is the saw table with built in router. The last pic is the drill press and behind that is the bathroom/paint storage room. More pics to follow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1069.jpg   DSCF1071.jpg   DSCF1078.jpg   DSCF1080.jpg   DSCF1087.jpg  

DSCF1084.jpg   DSCF1083.jpg   DSCF1088.jpg   DSCF1091.jpg   DSCF1077.jpg  

Last edited by Dave Black; 07-26-2009 at 03:32 AM.

Welcome to the family Dave!

Great looking space!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

More

Here are some more pics. The first is the DC system, it is Bill Pentz design although it is made from polyethylene plastic rather that sheet metal. The plastic came from brine tanks for water softener systems (my day job). The green outlet duct is an 8" fiberglass water softener tank. The next pic is a 2.5" vacuum hose hookup. You can see my blastgate system that I designed. All of the gates are normally shut, when I switch on a tool a solenoid opens and sends compressed air to the air cylinder which opens the bast gate. When the gate opens it holds closed a momentary switch that turns on the cyclone. When I turn off the tool the solenoid shuts and the gate closes which opens the switch and turns off the cyclone. The next pic is a closer shot of the miter and radial arm. Next is the main work bench and mobile tool cart under it. Next is a close up of the homemade V sander. Then another shot of the spindle sander (note the fiberglass water softener for the stand). 4th from last is my homemade end vise. The next is a shot of the table saw with homemade T square style fence. 2nd to last is my plane drawer, the 2 on the bottom right are ones that I made. Last is a dead blow mallet that I made to use with chisels. Its made from an old brass 1" check valve and lead shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1097.jpg   DSCF1099.jpg   DSCF1106.jpg   DSCF1090.jpg   DSCF1075.jpg  

DSCF1076.jpg   DSCF1081.jpg   DSCF1082.jpg   DSCF1105.jpg   DSCF1067.jpg  

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Welcome to the Family I will look forward to seen some of your work. I did notice the absence of a Lathe ???
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Dave, welcome to the Family

Great introduction, nice shop, lots of pics, and lots of interesting ideas to plunder..........

I've got a homebuilt Pentz design cyclone too, and I love it.

So, you have a very nice workshop, with lots of toys, what do you make?

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Welcome to the Family I will look forward to seen some of your work. I did notice the absence of a Lathe ???

The lathe is there, its in the 2nd pic of the first post.

So, you have a very nice workshop, with lots of toys, what do you make?

I make all kinds of stuff, right now I am building 10 dining rooms chairs out of white oak to go with the table I made 3 years ago. I think I may like building tools more that making "real" projects. Hopefully I will be replacing that delta TS with a sawstop and in that process I will be redoing the router table. Right now the router is mounted on a plexi plate which I will be replacing with a cast iron table from an old table saw.

Dave, you and I would get along I think I too enjoy building tools, I built my own bandsaw!

I got a SawStop earlier this year, it is one heck of a nice saw, if you get one you will love it!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Welcome to the clubhouse, Dave. That's a nice-looking setup you guys have.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

hi dave!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Hi Dave! Your my kinda guy! I too enjoy making my own tools, jigs, etc. BTW, how do you like that V-sander, I've seen them at the woodworking shows. They seem really slick, almost bought the kit, but wanted to get an opinion from someone other that the sales person.