How change belt Delta 46-140

Hi,

I cannot get any information from the Delta web site about this lathe...Delta 46-140.

I have removed the stuff on both ends of the spindle and the pulley is loose. Am I supposed to drive the spindle out?

It sure would be nice to get a copy of the manual off of the web However Delta just says, "contact a service center."

Thanks for any assistance. Should I say "Thanks for any assistance Vaughn."? Knowing Vaughn, he will probably be the first person to reply.

Enjoy,

Jim

Last edited:
Interesting old lathe. The 'gap' looks like more of a hindrance than a help. Notice the modifications he has to use to spindle turn short objects, like pens. Wonder what that notched thing with a handle is that is hanging on the wall in the first picture. Since he makes pens, I'll venture a guess it is something for holding blanks while he drill them.

I'm lost Frank. What lathe pix are you looking at here?

Yeah Jim, lathe spindles usually come out toward the tailstock, because most spindles I have worked on or with have a thrust shoulder right behind the chuck that generally presses aginst the front bearing. It's that same shoulder (the opposite face though) that the chuck rests against to keep it aligned.

Without that, or some sort of locking collar to hold it in place, the spindle would eventually work its way into the headstock, away from the tailstock. Thia also works to apply pre-load to the spindle bearings.

Is that as clear as mud?

Aloha, Tony

Last edited: