Which bottle stopper kits to get?

Tom Baugues

I would like to make a few bottle stoppers. I have seen many different types both here and from different catalogs. I always see an ad saying that they don't leak ...which tells me that some of them DO. So who sells the good bottle stopper kits. Right now I'm looking at the ones from "Penn State Industries". Does anyone have an opinion on these kits or any others...good or bad. The last thing I want is to sell a bottle stopper that is of poor quality.

Tom

The Niles are reputed to be very good.
I get mine from Craft Supply/The Woodturners Catalog.
For yourself or gifts, get good ones. The chrome plating can come off of some. The silicone are reported to be good. I have only used chromed and, personally, like them. But others....
OTOH....to sell, get cork. The cost of good stoppers drives your selling price out of reach of what most will pay. Those I know who make stoppers have good sales with cork.

I have never used any kind of cork bottle stopper. I dont drink wine so I have not ever used a cork stopper at all, so my question about them is...do they conform to the bottle that they are in and then therefore no longer usuable anymore? I can see a stopper with a rubber o-ring being washed and reused over and over, but I would think that cork could only be used for one bottle. Am I wrong?

Tom

Any of Ruth's stoppers are good and are stainless steel so no problems on flaking. She has the combo set which has the mandrel and everything you need to get started. I started with the introductory set and haven't looked back. Can't be beat at that price. I only use the #301 stopper. Use a 3/8" tap when You have the hole drilled, mount it on the lathe and turn. Finish it and screw it on the stopper. I use a little epoxy on mine for security if they are a little loose in some woods. Now I just use a little epoxy on all of them. Just put some on the threads of the stopper and screw in. Just a extremely satisfied customer.

I use only the Ruth Niles stainless steel stoppers now and have not found anyone to not be willing to pay the price for the quality. I tried the silicone and cork thinking the price point would be good, it just did not drop enough...quality speaks. For me, most of my stoppers are priced in the $35 plus range and that is because my work (time) is worth that or there is no point in me doing them.

Quick note, I've gotten into making my own resin castings and anything embedded sells! Try fishing flys or the new presidential series of dollars...hot!

Doug

I haven't used any of Ruth's stoppers, but the low design is more appealing to me than the chrome ones from CSUSA or other suppliers... I think they make the bottles top heavy and my customers have complained they are too tall for the 'fridge....

I use the silicone stoppers with the little dowels for most of my stoppers... I can keep the price low and they sell easier.

My preferred style is the hidden cork design, where the turning comes down over the top of the bottle.. I need to get busy in the shop for this fall... I'm down to only about 1/2 dozen stoppers after this weekend.

I have never used any kind of cork bottle stopper. I dont drink wine so I have not ever used a cork stopper at all, so my question about them is...do they conform to the bottle that they are in and then therefore no longer usuable anymore? I can see a stopper with a rubber o-ring being washed and reused over and over, but I would think that cork could only be used for one bottle. Am I wrong?

Tom

I believe they would hold up if not abused. But, my point was that, being less expensive, cork sells. More expensive, albeit better quality, don't sell. I have heard of this experience from several people. Personal use and gifts, make good ones. To sell, use cork.

Berea Hardwoods

I met with a turner who has used a lot (more than a hundred) of the chrome stoppers from Berea Hardwoods. He said he had one in a bottle of red wine laying on its side for two years in his shop and it neither leaked not pitted. One of my fellow club members brought in a couple of Penn State chrome stoppers to show how they pitted after a few months.

I met with a turner who has used a lot (more than a hundred) of the chrome stoppers from Berea Hardwoods. He said he had one in a bottle of red wine laying on its side for two years in his shop and it neither leaked not pitted. One of my fellow club members brought in a couple of Penn State chrome stoppers to show how they pitted after a few months.

From what I have seen, and experienced, PSI platings, on all their small turning project kits, are pretty sorry. I won't buy their pen kits for that reason.
I do buy tools and supplies and like the company, but won't touch the pen stuff.

Why is that? Because the cork retains some of the wine in it that can be passed to the next bottle?

What about the silicone ones?

Yes, that is why. Until Ruth came out with her stoppers I used the silicone as the chrome I had been using would pit with extended use in bottles of red wine. It seems as if the stainless gives a more substantial feel to the product. Also, I did have several customers who contacted me to get a replacement silicone piece when theirs pulled off the dowel.

Well, I placed my order with Ruth tonight. Very nice lady to talk with as mentioned here by others. I bought the introductory kit with the drill bit , #2 morse mandrel and the 10 stoppers. I look forward to working on these. Now...I just have to come up with a design.

Thank you all for your input.

Tom

Yes, that is why. Until Ruth came out with her stoppers I used the silicone as the chrome I had been using would pit with extended use in bottles of red wine. It seems as if the stainless gives a more substantial feel to the product. Also, I did have several customers who contacted me to get a replacement silicone piece when theirs pulled off the dowel.

Thanks Barbara! :thumb: