Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got to drill some square holes

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Got to drill some square holes

With the project comming up I think it's about time I invested in a morticer. So what kind of a mortice machine do ya'll have ?
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    With the project comming up I think it's about time I invested in a morticer. So what kind of a mortice machine do ya'll have ?
    I have the Delta, but I don't think I'd buy another. It's OK, but lacks some of the goodies like a better clamping system, self aligning fence, and a table that moves in the X and Y axis.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

This one's on sale, but it's big. The moving table thing might be hard to find on a small machine. I seem to remember seeing one advertised, but can't remember where.

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I had to drill 80 square holes on my kitchen project and used Larry's delta as I don't own one. it is my only experience with a morticer, and for me a good one. I had noproblems with it, but have not used any other brand.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    This one's on sale, but it's big. The moving table thing might be hard to find on a small machine. I seem to remember seeing one advertised, but can't remember where.
    Don't think LOML would allow me th spend that kind of $$
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

i have a jet mortising machine that has been put to some hard use, for all of our furniture, and items for the fair over the last several years, and i am quite happy with it.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

I just recently got the G0645 from Grizzly, so far I've only played with it to see how it works, and I'm impressed. It sure is slick hammering out a square hole in nothing flat. I suppose I'll lack the pride of hand cutting one with chisels and what not...but I'm ok with that.
    Go ahead and run clown, with those big floppy shoes, you won't get far.

I recently got the one from Harbor freight, price was right as it was on sale at the time, and so far all the holes are square,
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=35570
    Jesus was a Woodworker

I have this one:

http://www.woodstockint.com/products/w1671/

I've been real happy with it. IMHO. it was the most beef for the buck when I bought it a couple years ago. There were better ones (the General comes to mind) but they were quite a bit more money than I could buy the Shop Fox for locally.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I have this one:

http://www.woodstockint.com/products/w1671/

I've been real happy with it. IMHO. it was the most beef for the buck when I bought it a couple years ago. There were better ones (the General comes to mind) but they were quite a bit more money than I could buy the Shop Fox for locally.
    IIRC the Shop Fox got some pretty good press a year or two ago in one of the WW mags.

www.wrworkshop.com