cheese boards

Dan Noren

Staff member
i was a very busy monkey today, sorting through all my odds and ends boxes, lining things up just right, cutting like i knew what i was doing (and keeping all my fingers intact:thumb::rofl:). when all was said and done, i had the makings for 10, count 'em, 10 cheese boards. here is the list of them, sizes and materials used... (the numbers are for inches larry... :rofl:)

1. walnut and hard maple, 11.5 x 8
2. flame birch and walnut, 11.5 x 7.5
3. cherry and hard maple, 11.5 x 7
4. cherry and flame birch, 11.5 x 7
5. cherry, hard maple, and walnut, 8.25 x 7.75
6. cherry, walnut, hard maple, and african mahogany, 11.25 x 6.75
7. flame birch and cherry, 9.5 x 8
8. hard maple and african mahogany, 11.5 x 7
9. african mahogany and cherry, 10.5 x 7.75
10. cherry and hard maple, 11.5 x 8

now that they're cut, they just need to be glued, sanded, and finished....

Attachments

• board 01.JPG
    board 01.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 46
  • board 10.JPG
    board 10.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 38
  • board 09.JPG
    board 09.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 36
  • board 08.JPG
    board 08.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 49
  • board 07.JPG
    board 07.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 32
  • board 06.JPG
    board 06.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 42
  • board 05.JPG
    board 05.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 36
  • board 04.JPG
    board 04.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 35
  • board 03.JPG
    board 03.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 41
  • board 02.JPG
    board 02.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 39
funny thing is, one of them is now sold! :D:thumb::rofl: the one co-worker with whom i was talking about them last week, when he saw the pic of all of them, told me today that he would like to buy one of them, but needed to check in with the gf first. he said that when it is finished, i should bring it in and give it to him here at work. now the real question is, should i, or should i not tell the wife... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

all glued up and ready for sanding

working really hard yesterday and today, gluing them up with minimal clamp time, i managed to get them glued up and ready for sanding tomorrow. a run through the drum sander to flatten them out, then finish sanding, then off to the oil baths they go.... :D

Attachments

• ready for sanding.JPG
    ready for sanding.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 9 - 10 glued up.JPG
    9 - 10 glued up.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 7 - 8 glued up.JPG
    7 - 8 glued up.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 5 - 6 glued up.JPG
    5 - 6 glued up.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 3 - 4 glued up.JPG
    3 - 4 glued up.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 1 - 2 glued up.JPG
    1 - 2 glued up.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 21
cheese boards finished!!

another busy morning around here. ran all the boards through the sander to flatten them out, then on to the table saw for trimming up the ends, then 100-220 grit to smoothen them out. now they have thier first coat of mineral oil, and will get 2-3 more coats over the weekend:D

Attachments

• cheese boards sanded trimmed ready for oiling.JPG
    cheese boards sanded trimmed ready for oiling.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 15
  • cheese boards oiled.JPG
    cheese boards oiled.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 26
heres a thought.. why not emerse them in a pan of the oil to let it get in that way dan??? large pan hold more than one and a overnight outa do it? never dun it but sounds good to me.

one is made for cuttin and the other is made fer cheeze :rofl:
generally the size for a cheeze board is smaller than a normal cuttin board frank

Last edited:
az ginna du jes tat wit de bigguns, de en grane har mappel cuttin bords. dey don ha t bedun until xmas...:D

i would say probably size and thickness would have something to do with the differences. one is for every day hard use, the other is used for parties and such.

QUOTE=larry merlau;172193]one is made for cuttin and the other is made fer cheeze :rofl:
generally the size for a cheeze board is smaller than a normal cuttin board frank[/QUOTE]

I just knew that was coming but didn't know from where. :headbang:[

.....Uh....wouldja mind moving elsewhere to cut yer cheese.......? :bonkers:

I was going to PM...............Dan, what is the minimum width(thickness) in your opinion I can go with the smaller boards, 8x8 for instance.
I dont have many scraps over 3/4 to an inch, would 3/4 look too cheesy for a cheese board?

allen, i would say that most of them are in/around 3/4" in thickness. the gal who bought the second one asked the same question, and i asked her if her husband is going to be slicing cheese with a knife, or a broad axe? we both laughed about that one. i figure that around 3/4" or so is good, since there won't be as much pressure used, as would with a cutting board. i figure i will have 6 coats on them before i bring them in to the buyers, after giving them a good wiping down with paper shop towels.

now if i could sell 2 more, it would pay for the mobile platform for the big lathe... :D:thumb:

Congrats on the sales, Dan. Since the cheese boards were made from scraps, it's like found money.

I was going to PM...............Dan, what is the minimum width(thickness) in your opinion I can go with the smaller boards, 8x8 for instance.
I dont have many scraps over 3/4 to an inch, would 3/4 look too cheesy for a cheese board?

Allen, I've made and sold a lot of face grain boards that were made from 3/4" retail lumber, and by the time they were flattened they were often closer to 5/8" thick. Many of those were in the 15" x 9" range. They still work great for cutting (or cheese) boards. End grain cutting boards are preferred for "workhorse" cutting and chopping, but face grain boards can often show off the wood grain better.

I'll post pics soon of an example of one I did recently. (As soon as I get off my lazy tail and set up my photo tent. I've got a backlog of pics to take.)