Slow down router

Bill McQueen

I've made a jig to make flutes in my bowls and stuff, but here is my problem. I keep burning the wood. I have a speed reducer I use on my shaft driver cutter but it stills burns it. I am using a trim router which will only take about a 1/8 bit.

Am I destined to use a larger router just can't get the speed slow enough. I put a lot of work into this set up I hate to 13 it and do it by hand.

where is the burning occuring?
if it`s at the stop/start ends of flutes then it`s all about technique, if you`re getting burning along the length then it`s probably a dull bit?
"trim routers" can spin as fast as 30K rpm.....most round-nosed bits are designed to spin 20k....if you`re using an 1/8" bit look to see if you can find a single flute instead of a two-flute bit?
chip clearance is the most important thing when using a router.......the c.n.c. guys will confirm this mathamatically but ol` woodbutchers know the correct "feel" for working a bit/motor combination......
my gut tells me that if you`re spinnin` a two-flute bit in a laminate trimmer you`ll really need to be moving it through the wood quickly to provide propper chip clearance?
you could try directing compressed air at the cutting edges while you cut to remove the chips.

Mcmillan in the first sentence i said I was using a speed reducer. :) easy to read over stuff, I do it all the time. (good site though)

The bits new but it has many flutes and may be part of the problem. I just think I'm going to have to go my air grinder (aint tools great).

Evans your gut need a few more flutes in it :) the one flute sounds like a good idea . Most folks don't realize it, but a one blade propeller on a boat is the most effective. Of coarse it doesn't here but ya can't do it because of balance.

It burning nearly every where, I know about stopping for a instant with these things, especially Cherry.

The air sound like a good idea I take pretty shallow cuts, I'll try that. I do that when machining metal.

Thanks

No worries, Bill. I wasn't sure in your first post if the speed reducer you mentioned was the same type of device I was suggesting. :)