additions to the house

It's all very nice-looking work, Alfredo. :clap: The boxes in the first picture look very evenly matched. The coat rack is also very impressive. Great job on everything. :thumb:

Alfredo,
Great job on all three.... you have a really really good eye to be able to make the pieces match so well... I'm working on it, but haven't gotten to your level ... the coat rack is a great job too... the proportions really seem to flow..
What are the wood you used??

Chuck
The coat rack is made of tzalam.
The two boxes are made of red cedar.
The three boxes are made of oak (roble aromatico).

Thank you all for your kind words.

Alfredo

I'm not familiar with Tzalam... does it have another name??
Cedar I know... have quite a bit of that... there were a number of trees down on the back side of my lot when I moved up to TN... the sap wood is powdery, but the heart is still relatively solid. Our Cedar is more likely kin to the Juniper than to true cedar though.
The oak is nice... what I get here tends to be a little more open grained than yours.. but looks a lot like what we call red oak.

Over all, you did an excellent job and Know the missus will appreciate the additions to the house..

Think I've asked before, but what part of Mexico are you in... Unfortunately I'm only familiar with TiaJuana, Juarez and Progresso for personal visits... I used to ship into Campeche, Merida and Cancun... I shipped to a few other places, but those were the most prominent destinations for my customers.

Chuck,
I don´t know much about wood types, however
this kind of wood is hard and heavy. Another
hard and heavy wood that I like are chechen and
machiche. I made a floor lamp using machiche wood
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11851

I was not quite sure when I wrote the word "oak",
because Oak can be Encino instead of "roble aromatico".
My lumber yard told me that the "roble aromatico" wood
is used to make wine barrels.

I live 50 miles to the south from Mexico city.
The cities that you mentioned are in the north and
in the south of this country. Mexico city is in the middle.
Regards

I don't know Machiche, but I have use Chechen several times... It's great wood to work with.

Most likely, if they use the wood to make wine barrels, it is oak... that's one of the most common woods used in wine casks.