Salad Bowl for an Old Friend

Pete Jordan

I am going to visit an old friend tomorrow and I hope he likes his gift. It is American Elm and is 15 x 9. It is finished with Mahoney's walnut oil.

C and C always welcome.

Attachments

• DSC00076.jpg
    DSC00076.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC00078.jpg
    DSC00078.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 55
Pete,
That is a pretty nice gift... you did a great job and I'm sure it will be appreciated.

I especially liked the second picture marked "Uncle Pete"..

My grandfather was known as Uncle Pete... I was about 14 before I realized who everyone was talking about when they mentioned Uncle Pete... He was Granddaddy to me, not Uncle Pete.... plus his actual name was Lewis so further confusion for me.

After he retired, people would drive by his house and if he was sitting on the front porch, they would wave or honk.... if he wasn't there when they went by, they would look for him on the way home from town... if he wasn't there on the return trip, they would stop and see about him.

Thanks for the comments! It is really appreciated!

Chuck, The person I made this bowl for is not really my nephew. We were at a really expensive golf course 20 years ago where the fees were $150. My friend knew the pro so he introduced me as his uncle and saved me $130!

Very nice, Pete. The wood's gorgeous, and I like that you did with it. What the elm hard after it dried? I just finished up a Siberian elm bowl, and man, it ate the edge off my gouges quickly. I had to resharpen much more often than I usually do. (The fact that the bowl was 18" in diameter probably contributed to that.)

Great work. :thumb:

Thanks again for the comments!

Vaughn, this was not that hard and a pleasure to turn.

My friend loved the bowl and could not stop thanking me. It sure makes you feel good to share what you have learned. The wood was from a mutual friend of ours so that made it more special.