The Ultimate Jack?

Derek Cohen

A year ago I received a selection of timbers from my Galootaclaus (on OldTools List). A length of Ebony went to infill the Brese small smoother kit (and there is sufficient over to infill a St James Bay Thumb Plane kit). There is a block of Padauk. And there was this piece of Mesquite ...

Wood1.jpg

I have been waiting to build a jack plane around a blade I bought last year. It is 2" wide and 5/16" thick D2. This is very abrasion resistant and could make a super jack plane for use on Australian wood.

Bladewidth.jpg

This could be The Ultmate Jack!

The design is a mix of tradional vintage England with Malaysian influences. Mesquite body with Jarrah tote and wedge.

The razee body is 15 1/2" long, 2 3/4" wide, and 2" high at the mouth. This keep the centre of gravity low. The plane weighs 1.5 Kg (3.3 lbs).

Sideprofile1.jpg

Planefromrear1.jpg

The mouth is set wide for a thick shaving. The bevel has not yet been cambered. It will have a radius of 8".

Mouth1.jpg

The blade does not use a cap iron, and the wedge design keeps the mouth free ..

Front1.jpg

BedWedgeBlade1.jpg

I should have a full tutorial on building the jack up on my website in a few days.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ooooh I hope you can see me drooling :Dover that plane and all the others on your site. Man its a work of art. I can stare at those pictures all day long.

What great work.:thumb: