Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any iPhone Users Here?

Any iPhone Users Here?

I'm not happy with the recent changes to XM Radio (er...Sirius XM nowadays), so I'm canceling my subscription and had planned on putting the money saved into an iPod, so I can have more entertainment choices in the car and shop. After a bit of studying though, I realized the iPhone can do that, plus pick up streaming music from Internet radio stations via WiFi or 3G networks. So I changed my plans and decided to replace my Blackberry Pearl with a new 16 GB iPhone 3GS. (The monthly service will be the same price I'm paying now.)

I can use it for music in the car and streaming Internet radio via WiFi at home in the shop. I've never been very happy with the keypad and user interface on the Blackberry, so I've used it primarily just for phone calls and a couple of games. Conversely, I expect the iPhone to provide a lot more than just telephone connectivity. I've spent a lot of time poring over the various applications available for iPhones, and I'm curious to know: A) if any of you are using an iPhone, and B) what apps you find particularly useful.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. The new toy will be here in 7 to 14 days.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Not yet, but next year, when my contract on the Sony Cybershot cell phone runs out, I'll be getting the latest flavor of iPhone, I'm hooked on them!

Best of luck, the apps are amazing, they have one that makes the iPhone act as a carpenter's level
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    ...they have one that makes the iPhone act as a carpenter's level
    They have at least three or four different ones. They also have some great-looking musical instrument tuner apps (perfect for tensioning your bandsaw a la Phil Thien) and a few other interesting music-related apps. Something like the Shop Calculator app that Darren Wright wrote for the Blackberry would be very useful. I've also seen shopping list apps that "learn" the order of the merchandise in a store's aisle layout, and presents the items in the order that you'll find them at the store. That might be handy for the Borg shopping sprees.

I'm also looking forward to the GPS features. The Blackberry also has that capability, but it's slow to update and impossible to use (see) while driving. Also, AT&T charges $10 per month extra for the GPS capability in the Blackberry, but from what I've seen, the extra charge does not apply to the iPhone. (I guess I'll find out for sure when the iPhone gets here.)

workingwoods.com

I have several friends that have one and they all love it. There is an app for everything and more coming everyday. Me, I still use a motarolla razor that is partly held together by packing tap...
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Jeff, I loved my Razor. I'd probably still be using it (my second one, actually...lost the first) if I hadn't worn it out and replaced it with the Blackberry.

workingwoods.com

My son, the saver, bought himself a iPod touch last month. It also has all the app features, as well as WiFi and music. (cellphone and camera are the only differences from the iPhone, as I recall)

From watching him, and from reading stuff on various forums (check out www.macrumors.com) I've got a few thoughts

1- watch the battery life -- I've read that WiFi really drains the battery quickly.

2- This probably won't affect you, but my son primarily loves the iPod touch for the games, so he's gaming all the time -- loves the full colour, fast action, and really nice graphics... But again, this seems to drain the battery quickly -- like about 2 hours. I need to find the time to run a test to verify the battery life, because it is possible that we got a bad battery in our unit.

3- we've stuck with the free apps in the store and there are some fun ones. Couple nice pinball games, as well as others.

4- we bought the iSkin -- which is a thin silicon "jacket" that you fit around the iPod for protection. I know my son will drop it sooner or later. It works well, but check out other brands first, as I find this one a bit tight/fiddly for getting the docking jack to still fit into the unit.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

My phone just talks.

Vaughn,
    I'll watch with interest. My family is all on the 'can you hear me now? Good!' network, and they kids both text frantically, my wife and I text occasionally to each other, but often with the boys. I'm currently using an ancient LG flip as my normal phone's charger is awol/broken (one of each). We keep this old LG around as a spare as the boys inevitably break or wear out theirs on a semi regular basis.
    I just shopped for a new Palm, but it seems they've gone away from the Centro online, and I'm still several months away from re-upping. I've got a Treo 650, and want either a new centro or Pre (wrong network at least for the intitial release).
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    My phone just talks.
    Don't need the phone - I hear plenty of voices without it.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    My phone just talks.

Hopefully it rings first?

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Don't need the phone - I hear plenty of voices without it.
    Or you'll wind up like Rennie....
    -Ned