Scotch Brite pads on an arbor

Does anyone know where I can find Scotch-Brite pads that are attached to an arbor and can be used on a drill press?

It is not an easy thing to find, Lowe's does not have it, at least not the one near me.

I am looking to use it to clean up some handles from an old lathe and was told they work well but can't seem to find them.

It was just yesterday that I was at the local Automotive Paint store and they had a display of a Ball of Scotchbrite on a stick, You can use it on a Drill press or a hand held drill, small one 2" dia, was something like $2.45 0r $2.75, they also had a bigger one for some more $$... almost bought one but haven't been doing any projects to need one and being sort of "Frugel" (French for Cheap) I just pondered and filled it away for future refference as the store is 1/2 mile from the house.

So I would say look to your local auto paint supply house.

Last edited:
i just cut the regular pads into squares and chuck `em up on a mandral...usually in a 20k rpm die grinder........they hold up fine.

Hi Stu,

Yes, I thought of that too, but I am wanting to hold the handles so that I can get all the way round the curvy parts and thought having the pad mounted on the drill press would make it easier. Also Jim Kountz over on SMC did the same for his Delta Double Duty lathe handles.

Since I have the Slide Rest (for metal turning) in addition to the tool rest and tailstock I have a fair number of bright work pieces to scrub up.

Bill, what you need is some >> 3M Flap Brushes <<
4ZR48.JPG
These would chuck right up in your drill press, or even in a drill chuck properly mounted in a lathe.

Or, depending on the size of work you have, some of these would work well too.....

>> Clean & Strip Discs <<

cab_CandS_thumb.jpg

I'm sure you know what you need, you just need to find somewhere to buy it :doh:

Cheers!

Bill, what you need is some >> 3M Flap Brushes <<
View attachment 35116
These would chuck right up in your drill press, or even in a drill chuck properly mounted in a lathe.

Or, depending on the size of work you have, some of these would work well too.....

>> Clean & Strip Discs <<

View attachment 35117

I'm sure you know what you need, you just need to find somewhere to buy it :doh:

Cheers!

Ha Stu,

Great minds, well at least your great mind and my stumbling upon. I got the "Clean and Strip" as you call it at Lowe's, but it scares me. I haven't tried it yet but I don't want to scar the metal bright work. I will try it out on some piece of scrap metal first and see how much damage it does before using on the handles.

Maybe use it on the jig saw or bandsaw that I got when I bought the Delta Double Duty lathe. Both jig and band saw are pretty ratty looking. And yes I know pics, pics, pics.

1. Get several of those 5 X 8 (approx) sized green Scotchbrite pads.

2. Cut them in half - or if you prefer, into circles of whatever size you like.

3. Punch a small hole in the center of each piece.

4. Put them onto a 5/16 or 3/8 inch bolt - a three inch long one works well - along with a couple washers and a nut. I like to use about six layers, to get a pad that's about an inch thick.

5. Chuck it in your drill press, and start polishing your stuff.

The coarse brown pads will remove rust, but may scratch some surfaces.

The maroon or grey pads give a nice polish.

If you want, any of them can be used with a good metl polish - like Flitz or Wenol - to give a very nice finish.