Chuck jaws

Bill McQueen

Hi it's me again. You know those triangle plates that attack to your chuck so you can finish the bottom of a bowl.

Are those lathe specific or well they attach to other chucks.

I have a ONEWAY TALON.

They generally are chuck specific because they need to match the screw pattern. I think they're generally called Cole Jaws and maybe some chuck manufacturers are interchangeable (I think some one way and nova jaws mix and match nicely).

I made a set of my own with a little mouse pad and some plywood:

200711812346_jaws-front%5B1%5D.jpg

Last edited:
Bill, the jaws typically can be used on different chucks of the same brand. For example, the jaws you have now on your Talon will fit the Oneway Stronghold, but I don't think they will fit any of the Nova chucks. There are some chucks (like at least one of the ones Grizzly sells) that are a close copy of other brands, so they can accept the other brand of jaws. I believe some or all of the Vicmark jaws will fit the Grizzly chuck.

One thing to keep in mind is that the jaws are manufactured in a set, and the set should be kept together. I have two sets of the Nova 50mm jaws, but I don't intermingle the jaws. They are very close to the same, but not exactly.

Ah, if you're talking about the Cole jaws like Jason pictured, then he's right about them being chuck specific. (Or you can make our own like he did.)