OK, just so the Picture Police don't get hand cramps from writing me tickets, here are a few pics of the "furniture" I've been building for my brother-in-law Jaan, the Viking re-enactor. (He gets paid for playing make-believe.)
His Viking group had a decent collection of small benches, but the member who owned them quit the group and took his furniture with him. Since they have a big event coming up in a couple months in Solvang, CA, the rush is on to replace some of the furniture. So far, nothing quite as elaborate as the Viking bed we made a few years ago. Just simple stools, with a few tables coming up next.
Jann has been collecting scrap lumber for the past few months, so we're using as much reclaimed wood as possible to keep costs down. He had gathered some 2 x 12 cutoffs, so the first weekend, we decided to make some Lund stools. Here's an example of one he already had that was made by the now-departed member:
It's a simple 2 x 12 seat with 1 1/4" dowels for legs. In this example, the legs aren't even glued, so they are loose most of the time. I talked Jaan out of using more dowels, and instead we went with pressure treated fence posts. A few hours on the lathe, and I had 44 of these:
Although I don't think the Vikings used them, I wanted to wedge the round tenons, so I also needed a bunch of small wedges. Some scrap mahogony went into these:
We set up a jig for drilling the angled holes on the drill press, but I didn't get any pics. (I know, that's a citeable offense to the Picture Police.) We didn't go with the 20º mentioned in the link above, but ended up with something more like 15º.
Over the course of last week, I got all the legs epoxied and wedged into place, and we ended up with these. You'll see we also made a few 4-legged bences while we were at it:
Yes, they are on the roof of my house. I don't have a handy place to store them, and they need some weathering anyway, so we're killing two birds with one stone. Here's a shot showing the wedges in the leg tenons:
Due to lack of time and disregard for perfection, I did not angle the shoulders on the legs to mate flat with the bottom of the stools. The joint is only getting its strength from the tenon itself, but between the epoxy and the wedge, they seem pretty stout. Much better than what he had previously.
We're working on tables now. I'll post more pics in this thread as things develop. At least now the Picture Police will back off a bit. I'm getting tired of being beaten down by The Man.