Thread: Sycamore Toy

Sycamore Toy

At this year's Utah Woodturning Symposium I was able to take a break or two from my duties as volunteer videographer and duck into various demos. Sometimes I would pop quickly from one to another, but one of the presentations that I sat all the way through was Kip Christensen's demo called Ten Projects Fast & Furious.

One of the items that he turned was what I call a "ball and cup toy". A couple days after the symposium I was trying to think of something to make, and I decided to take inspiration from Kip's toy. I didn't remember exactly how his had looked, so I drew my own idea ... and adjusted it a little as I turned.

Anyway, here it is so far. I haven't decided what to do for a ball, or where to attach the string for it. (Neck? Bottom of handle?)

Wood: Sycamore
    Dimensions: 5 7/8" x 1 1/4"
    Finish: 1 layer of wax (either Town Talk furniture wax or neutral shoe polish)

The black stripe was the result of a serendipitous "Oops". While cleaning up the outside bottom of the "cup" with a small skew, I moved the tool rest to get a better position. "Gr-r-r-r-ack!" The pointy end of the tool rest spun a groove into the cup. After I calmed down I deepened and defined the groove, and then grabbed a black dry-erase marker from my whiteboard and laid down the color.

To me, if the groove were any higher or lower on the cup it wouldn't look "right". As it is, most people I show the toy to accept the black stripe as an intended design feature.
    Last edited by Kerry Burton; 07-29-2009 at 03:18 PM.

I wouldn't tell people the black line was an 'oops'. It looks perfect where it is.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    It looks like the strip was part of the design. Regarding the ball, why don't you just turn it ?
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Regarding the ball, why don't you just turn it ?
    I saw that one coming! I've turned eggs before, but no spheres. This would be a pretty small one ... 1" or less. Hmmmm....

Maybe you already watched it, I don't know. Bob Hamilton did a tutorial on the Ball and Cup Toy. Maybe you can get a hint or two there.
    http://bobhamswwing.com/Articles/Tos...ing_a_ball.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Tate View Post
    Maybe you already watched it, I don't know. Bob Hamilton did a tutorial on the Ball and Cup Toy. Maybe you can get a hint or two there.
    Wow - a blast from the past! The page didn't look familiar until I saw the photo where the mostly-turned ball is still attached to the rest of the blank. Then it was a case of deja vu.

Thanks - I appreciate it!

Looks good Kerry. If you hadn't said anything I was thinking that line you put in looked pretty darn good. Then you had to go and ruin it by saying it was a oooppps.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.