Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: tape question

tape question

i have been reading, and they are talking about using "turners tape" for pattern work. i have been using double sided carpet tape and it works but leaves a residue on the wood which can be taken off... but whats the differnce between the two? and what do you use for adhereing a pattern to a blank panel for a duplicate part?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

hmmm? must be this was outa line to ask here?

Larry, I just noticed this thread now......I sat in on a veneer class once and the teacher used Frog tape to keep the pieces together before gluing...but it's not double sided....
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

jeff i was referring to using it for patter or template work i have been using the carpet tape but it leaves a residue that will come off with lac thiner..but was curious if there was something better.. once it gets stuck it doesnt seprate well and to use for the next one isnt always an option???

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    hmmm? must be this was outa line to ask here?
    Yer in the right forum. And, I do believe, a few turners even visit here once every few months or so.
    I have never used turners tape. It is double sided, hopefully stronger grip than carpet tape which I have tried for turning without good results.
    Can't answer the question about leaving residue or not.

tape question

That's funny Frank.

I don't know either Larry, but I have read of people who do use carpet tape and nobody has mentioned the residue issue to my recollection. I haven't tried any myself, yet. I know the price difference of the turner's tape was what many talked about.

Perhaps the age of the tape could effect the residue problem? Fresher tape might not do it.

Aloha, Tony
    Last edited by Tony Baideme; 07-31-2009 at 05:47 PM.
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Baideme View Post
    That's funny Frank.

I don't know either Larry, but I have read of people who do use carpet tape and nobody has mentioned the residue issue to my recollection. I haven't tried any myself, yet. I know the price difference of the turner's tape was what many talked about.

Aloha, Tony
    so if i read it right tony they are sayun that carpet tape is the one to use rather than the high dollar spinny tape

tape question

Larry,

As far as what I have learned, yes, carpet tape should be good to use. I just can't verify it from personal experience, that's all.

For your duplicate pattern work, there isn't all that much strain on the tape so it should hold well enough.

Give it a try. Or have you done that already? Is the residue thing from your own experience?

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    so if i read it right tony they are sayun that carpet tape is the one to use rather than the high dollar spinny tape
    Keep in mind, turners can cut residue off in most cases. My trials with carpet tape were failures, did not hold.

We all kow that when a manufacturer specificly addresses a certain group of people the price differes and is usually more expensive (for the same product) . Although I have NOT either used the turner's tape and have used carpet tape (W/O residue problems) I have used Office double sided tape for small applications w/o problems... So?

One example is a glue I was reccommended to me for hight temp and structural problems... This friend said to use a certain 3M Cement made for Airplanes, they use it and the planes sit in Saudi desert sun w/o failure... Get it at an aviation supply house. I went there and they were out but it cost $38 quart. I then went to a Marine and Auto Restoration supply house and got the same glue at $18 a quart (exact same product code number)

I have always known that they stuck it to you with Marine goodies but I am finding out the Aviation guys twist it off in you (and make you say thank you may I have another)

And so it might also be with Specificly "Made for Turners" supplies.

Whilst on the other hand... On a different subject matter...

Wet sanding my boat too bring back the color... I have always used my same ole rubber sanding block I use for wwing, but on a whim, I bought "Made for wet sanding" pad at an expensive price (for a chunk of fake rubber) but to my amazement, it made the task so easy, so it was worth paying the difference....

Maybe someone will bite the bullet, climb down off their wallet, buy the Turners tape, do an experiment, and let us cheapscapes know...