Sharpening a Bedan

Alex Reid

Just curious if anyone is using a 1/2 inch Bedan and if so what is your method of sharpening this tool to a fine edge? Do you flat grind on a stone and then hone or do you put it on the grinding wheel. Do you grind the bevelled edge or just hone the top? I ask because the bevelled edge is quite long and putting this on the grinder creates a rather large hollow grind.

Spinny tools, Gotcha! I have an old Dunlop lathe that my dad gave me. Needs to have one of the bearings replaced. I need to get that done since I would like to take a crack at turning. I'll probably be asking you guys questions when I do get it going!

Alex, took me a day to find it, but here are the pics from J-F Escoulen's Demo, of his Bedans.........

bedan_grind1.jpg

bedan_grind2.jpg

and remember, they are used like that, the bevel is up!

J-F said that if you don't like the skew, you will hate the Bedan :D

Stu,

Skews me and thanks for the pics. After I got it I went and put a hollow grind on it at the wheel. I think though this chisel is best sharpened flat with a diamond stone or wetstone. I haven't really used it that much in the versatile way that J-F used it but do like it.

Skews me......... :rofl:

I've got a boat load of spindle tools on the way, so we shall see how I get on with that stuff :rolleyes:

A while back, I bougth a 3/8" square parting tool, I intended to make it into a Bedan, but I've not gotten g-round to it......... ;) :D

Cheers!

OK, mine is actually FedEx....:wave:

BTW, I resharpened my 3/8" parting tool into a Bedan, and had a go at some soft pine I had laying around..........FUN STUFF!!! :thumb:

Yep, all the cut and shapes you see on that chunk of pine were made by that one tool, the Bedan!

bedan_1.jpg

bedan_2.jpg

It is a bit catchy, but as it is spindle work, the catches are not catastrophic :rolleyes:

Fun tool, I put a straight flat grind on it, but I think a hollow grind will work better.

Here is a pic of an egg that J-F Escoulen turned with a Bedan in about 2 minutes flat..........

jfe_2min_egg.jpg

Going to be experimenting with this tool for some time to come!

:D