Thread: Hand saw

Hand saw

I have to resaw 8" by 8" hardwood. My table saw only goes to 2.5 inches and my band saw goes to 7 inches. So a handsaw is called for. Is there anybody that does it the old way, i.e. by hand? And if so what type of saw to you recommend?

Thanks, DKT

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    A Bow saw would be my choice. As I recall that was the saw of choice for making Vaneer. Either that of Get/Make some riser blocks for the band saw.
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I have only ripped short boards using my old Disston D-8 rip and not that thick. You don't mention how long nor how many rips you will need to do. Harry Strasil over at SMC has a tutorial on making your own frame rip saw for this very purpose. Something I would like to make someday.

Harry Strasil Tutorial

Someone who has built a frame saw and used Harry's advice is Bob Easton a blogger I follow. He has a little tutorial on his site also. Bob ripped a lot of wood for his boat using this saw, but please be advised that he was ripping Alantic white cedar. A much different exercise than hardwood, I would think.

Bob Easton's Tutorial

That is the neander way, but maybe you can borrow some time on someone's bandsaw if you have a lot to do.

Hi folks,
    I've seen somewhere the method of cutting as deep as you can from each side on the table saw, then finish the rest with an ordinary hand saw. (Rip teeth) The table saw cuts tend to guide the hand saw. If you need to do it all day, every day, then you probably need the band saw riser.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Meyer View Post
    Hi folks,
    I've seen somewhere the method of cutting as deep as you can from each side on the table saw, then finish the rest with an ordinary hand saw. (Rip teeth) The table saw cuts tend to guide the hand saw. If you need to do it all day, every day, then you probably need the band saw riser.

Bob
    Yep! Do it like Bob said.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Me three,,,!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Yep! Do it like Bob said.
    No matter how I cut the wood on the TS, the bandsaw (12 inches) only has a 7 inch capacity. And since it is a European style saw, short of using a torch to cut it apart, there is no way to put a riser in there. But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

DKT

Quote Originally Posted by Dietrich Trenner View Post
    No matter how I cut the wood on the TS, the bandsaw (12 inches) only has a 7 inch capacity. And since it is a European style saw, short of using a torch to cut it apart, there is no way to put a riser in there. But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

DKT
    So, What you're saying is that you don't own (or can't borrow) a hand saw?

If you cut both sides on the tablesaw, you'll only have about 1Ĺ inches left in the middle to cut, which will be pretty easy to do with a handsaw, plus the TS cuts will act as guided to keep the handsaw cuts straight.

If you've really gotta do it all with power tools, how about making the TS cuts, then finishing with a long blade in a recip saw?
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!