my jet shaper

Dan Noren

Staff member
this is the shaper that i bought a couple of years ago for $125. in looking to see what kind of shaper it was, i found a site that was selling the same one for $400:eek: what i'm planning on doing, is to take it off it's stand (the casters are beyond shot), and mount it on a riser (as the motor hangs lower than the base), and put it on the one mobile work bench that i have.

Senior piece of woodworking equipment. That not a senior piece of woodworking equipment. try and beat this one. It's a 1929 King Sealey scroll saw. All cast Iron, it will scroll a 2" thick peice and you can scroll a 24" peice. It way way over 100 lbs and is all cast. It will pass the nickol teswt, absolutly no vibration.
:thumb::D
I use it to make pieces when I do restorations and need to swing tight curves.

Attachments

• 0804091801.jpg
    0804091801.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 41
OK maybe we should start a new thread to see who has the "oldest Arn"...:thumb:
G.M. Stuart miter trimmer 1889-
DSCF0005-24.jpg

Fay Scott pattern-makers lathe between 1900 and 1910-
DSCF0014-14.jpg

Tannewitz model J 1926-purrs like a cat-
DSCF0001-45.jpg

then there's the youngster -Tannewitz model U 1946-
DSCF0025-12.jpg

alex- as old as the youngster

Hey Edward, what's up there, (the "Stones" are missing from the first three machines)? Did they go on strike, OR couldn't you find any stones old enough to match the age of the tools?:D

Hey Edward, what's up there, (the "Stones" are missing from the first three machines)? Did they go on strike, OR couldn't you find any stones old enough to match the age of the tools?:D

I only keep stones on those machines that might try and get me---table saws and jointers and there is a stone on the model J it's behind the fence.

alex

seperated the shaper from it's base today, and put it on the bench it will call home. i think i'm gonna rearrange the tools a bit to distribute the weight a little better.

I love the old stuff and appreciate shops that run it. I've had some luck of my own with old equipment:
1890's-1900's Bradley 17" band saw - complete rebuild - runs great
1890's FE Reed 9" swing wood lathe - currently not running, but in fine mechanical condition
1932 Crescent 20" band saw - replaced bearings and tires - runs great
1936 Walker Turner 15" drill press - original and runs great
1942 Delta 24" scroll saw - original and runs super smooth
1940's Delta light duty shaper - currently being rebuilt
1941 Delta Junior Unisaw - original - runs great
and dozens of 1880's through pre WWII hand tools that i love using.

For me it was a great way to accumulate quality machines and tools - much better than what i could afford new. I also really enjoy using a tool that's been in service for 70, 80, or 100 years.

Paul Hubbman